IGNORED

Autechre remix of Mike Ink's "Paroles"

ghOsty

Well, after reading this it seems they should do an edition like Clark- collecting their remix stuff on four slabs of vinyl, but on the other side that would shorten the amount a bit. Some of their remixes are really long.

Talking about rare items, I made an exceptional cheap buy for the Buck-Tick remix comp that came in a book (and features great reworks by Aphex and R H Kirk too). The book is nice, typical rotten polaroids and close shots of faces or dissolving colours on manipulated picture material. Worth to get not only for AE.

Years later I read in the german mag Raveline an interview with Autechre, stating that Buck-Tick gave them four grands for the remix :biggrin: They said it was the best paid remix job they had at that point.

An Autechre remix compilation would be a nightmarish release for Warp logistically; there are around 7 hours of released remixes: that's around 6 CDs worth of music. Many of these mixes are very obscure and culling them all together (along with the rights) would be a daunting treasure hunt.

If Warp's handling of Aphex's 26 mixes 2XCD is any indication of their approach to such a release then we can expect obscure tracks sourced from mp3 and vinyl masters, some tracks heavily edited down to fit the physical confines of a given disc in the set, and many mixes left off altogether. The only positive I could forsee with a release like this would be AE throwing a formerly unreleased mix or two (as Aphex did with 26 Mixes) on the set.

Overall this would be a MUCH bigger undertaking than the Aphex set for Warp due to the sheer volume of remixes that Autechre put out!

Didn't know that about 26 mixes. Which tracks were edited for time and which were exclusive?

I thought the same thing about an official ae comp ie the nightmare of getting hold of all the rights etc.

I certainly know that 'At the heart of it all' is shorter than the version on the NIN remix album. I think the SAW track that has the drum beat on it was never released before either.

There's probably more - just going from memory/

I certainly know that 'At the heart of it all' is shorter than the version on the NIN remix album. I think the SAW track that has the drum beat on it was never released before either.

There's probably more - just going from memory/

They edited 7 tracks and what annoys me most, mastered from bad quality rips. You can hear mp3 compression smear on Saint Etienne (+ they cutted it as well!) and clear vinyl pops on the Philip Boa rework. Not to mention the glitch on Heroes- and I guess it's not from a mastering glitch, no it sounds like a data that was not perfectly downloaded and missing a few bits at that place.

Before I joined WATMM, I read along another site that spectral proof shown up that several tracks are from lossy sources- Aside the hastily cobbed together artwork this is not a really good release, only the idea behind and should be redone from scratch.

There is a japanese 12inch out having both exclusive cuts on it. Go along and try to get the original CDs with the remixes and do one yourself ;)

You can try to get the japanese 12inch with both Aphex exclusives.

Didn't know that about 26 mixes. Which tracks were edited for time and which were exclusive?

I thought the same thing about an official ae comp ie the nightmare of getting hold of all the rights etc.

Off the top of my head the NIN, Nav Katze, Saint Etienne, Cylob and Meat Beat Manifesto mixes were slashed in length (the MBM mix by 50%). The 'SAW II Original Mix' and 'Windowlicker Acid Edit' are exclusive to '26 Mixes For Cash'. Interestingly those two are also the only tracks digitally available from '26 Mixes...' on BLEEP; to quote BLEEP: "FOR LICENSING REASONS THE MP3 VERSION ONLY CONTAINS 2 TRACKS: Windowlicker (Acid Edit) & Saw 2 (Original Mix)"

So yeah, I don't see a remix compilation for Autechre happening via 'official' channels, and if it does the die-hards will almost certainly find plenty to complain about.

Years later I read in the german mag Raveline an interview with Autechre, stating that Buck-Tick gave them four grands for the remix :biggrin: They said it was the best paid remix job they had at that point.

I remember one of them saying in an interview that this remix was pivotal for them because it came right at a time when they were considering leaving music to get "real jobs" etc.

Archived