08 Ainnome

09 -Out"

1102389_594269297278396_1397289039_o.jpg

2013^~^

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

no way. i adooore quarantine. i feel its incredibly accomplished and quite forward thinking electronic/psychedelic quirky music. something in the direction of quarantine would make me happy.

great news. more like behind the green door than quarantine, please.

yes :emotawesomepm9:

yes ++, green door is ace, really hoping she builds off this aesthetic.

I accept that Quarantine is a divisive album and have no problem with artists bending/breaking conventional rules of music, though I'll never understand how people can get past intentionally off-key vocals to the point of actually enjoying it. Discordance is discordance.

I accept that Quarantine is a divisive album and have no problem with artists bending/breaking conventional rules of music, though I'll never understand how people can get past intentionally off-key vocals to the point of actually enjoying it. Discordance is discordance.

It's the same for me - listening to her other stuff it's clear that she understands melody and isn't just, well, tone deaf, so the ridiculously offkey vocals must be a definite aesthetic choice. I can't get behind it though myself, that album is one of the few I've heard that I find completely unlistenable. I'm hoping for more stuff like hour logic.

Guest Teribal Felafal

really warmed up to quarantine lately, couldn't handle it at all at first. very interesting artist, love the album art for this

It's the same for me - listening to her other stuff it's clear that she understands melody and isn't just, well, tone deaf, so the ridiculously offkey vocals must be a definite aesthetic choice. I can't get behind it though myself, that album is one of the few I've heard that I find completely unlistenable. I'm hoping for more stuff like hour logic.

Okay I'm in the dark here. Are you guys musicologists? Since when do any of you care about conventional rules of music? You are the ones who listen to aphex twin's atonal drone music, aren't you? I feel like in one article some one said that the vocals are off key and now everyone has just gone with that assumption because they are being presented with vocals in a context they aren't used to. When are the vocals off key? Can you even tell the key? I'm listening and much of the samples and textures are already wavery and weird and frequently sitting all over the place in terms of pitch, that is on a 1200 cent octave, so the vocals play with that ambiguity yes, but I'm always hearing a definite base. I'm listening and hearing complex 3 part harmony in perfect unison all over the place in airsick. In many of the tracks she goes out of tune with herself on purpose for the dissonant effect, in order to cause timbral richness with the interference patterns. In every track I hear her stick to a consistent base pitch and return to it, I truly do not hear what you guys are talking about with 'out of tune' vocals.

I mean you are the people who like to listen to RDJ's purposefully detuned pads or autechre's frequently microtonal melodies, aren't you?

Some people really like quarantine, so there must be something going on there, but as I said above FOR ME I find it actually quite painful to listen to. It's just something I can't enjoy, maybe it's the associations I make specifically with offkey vocals in particular, I dunno.

I don't think you need to be a musicologist to tell that stuff like carcass or thaw are certainly...uh...unconventional, melodically. Once again, If it works for you, great. I think it's a particular 'flavour' that I can't appreciate, probably in the same way that almost everyone I know thinks the autechre records I listen to are a load of unpleasant electronic noise.

I'll cosign on everything da'bridge said above, my earlier point being that people will have to agree to disagree on Quarantine, that's all. Like for centuries there's been a broad consensus across all styles of music that, all other things equal (a) being in tune sounds good and (b) being out of tune doesn't sound good (or at least as good). Obviously there will always be musicians and listeners who take exception to this although I am not one of them. Hardly ever listen to Aphex's cheeky shit, not into "noise" music (hecker, pansonic) either, and for as big a fan of Wolfgang Voigt as I am, this is some damn unlistenable shit. Different strokes for different folks :cisfor:

• 4 weeks later...

(a) being in tune sounds good and (b) being out of tune doesn't sound good (or at least as good).

flol, people holding this belief here are definitely in the wrong forum.

(her name just popped in my last.fm so i'm checking quarantine out, pretty neat stuff)

Great job pulling that quote completely out of its context.

Do you play an instrument? You are aware that the overwhelming majority of musicians across all genres of music - from garage rock power trios to entire orchestras - do this thing called "tuning up" before performing? Now why the hell would they go do that?

Archived