IGNORED

VHS Head - Persistence Of Vision

It is kind of a lazy, cheap way of making a cool sounding track with a nice melody. But I wouldn't otherwise fault VHS for being cheap or lazy... guy must spend a crazy amount of time amassing and slicing up samples to make some incredible music.

Yeah, still an amazing artist.

Also, he mined it from an old VHS tape, staying true to the form and preserving the aesthetic. Adrian might not even have known it was music that could actually be found online. He was probably rolling through the Callanetics tape and came to that and was like "holy shit this is amazing I have to sample this".

Honestly, when I originally listened to the song, I thought more had been directly lifted, and even thought that it might just be slowed down or something. It sounds a bit eccojam/macintosh plus.

• Replies 772
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, just to confirm with a rough count i did, when vhs head samples twenty bars of a song, adds some effects to it, and changes the speed, it's ok because "there's a lot more going on" and he changed the aesthetic.

but when daft punk samples twenty bars of a song, adds some effects to it, and changes the speed, it's bad and we shouldn't even call those lazy hacks musicians.

:facepalm:

so, just to confirm with a rough count i did, when vhs head samples twenty bars of a song, adds some effects to it, and changes the speed, it's ok because "there's a lot more going on" and he changed the aesthetic.

but when daft punk samples twenty bars of a song, adds some effects to it, and changes the speed, it's bad and we shouldn't even call those lazy hacks musicians.

i love daft punk tho

the included facepalm applies quite well to the text of this post imo

• 2 weeks later...

i was wondering if he sampled stuff like this, weird instructional/educational etc type vids. which to me seem like one of the coolest types of videos you can sample just because theres going to be all kinds of weird and sometimes nice audio things going on in them and they are going to be super obscure and the whole thing is just a weird and cool vibe. so to me this is cool to know, about the sample.

Does anybody know where the speech ("It's my world, it's your world. I want it all") came from the Jealousy remix on the Bleep Mix?

Actually, I prefer the Jealousy reworking on the Bleep Mix over the one on Persistence. It also seems like more fair use of the original song.

Archived