IGNORED

Was Squarepusher best at Jungle?

J3FF3R00

I would say Squarepusher was by far the best at jungle. Strangely enough although I like Aphex overall better I was never really able to get into the Richard D. James Album, which is arguably his biggest jungle album, if you can call it that (Drukqs is an entirely different story imo, more like "fuckbeats" than jungle).

But I digress. I like Squarepusher's other stuff but my favourites of his by far are his jungle albums. Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy to be exact. Insane drumbeats flying at you so deliberately, in perfectly synchronised patterns... such a rush.

Also, Chin Hippy. End of discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the question is not "was Squarepusher the best junglist out there" but rather "was the best Squarepusher stuff his jungly stuff".

im gonna have to say no to the OP's question. there were dudes that were totally on par with him. not saying anyone was better because he fucking kills it in every way, but amon tobin's early stuff really rivals SP's stuff imo.

im gonna have to say no to the OP's question. there were dudes that were totally on par with him. not saying anyone was better because he fucking kills it in every way, but amon tobin's early stuff really rivals SP's stuff imo.

Tobin's stuff is great, especially the earliest stuff. But this doesn't come even remotely close the hard normal daddy or even feed me weird things, at least in terms of the complexity of the drum programming.

I find even bricolage to be repetitive compared to the SP albums mentioned. Songs like Papalon and Male Pill, or Tundra or North Circular, are still relatively unrivaled in what they set out to accomplish.

No contest as far as I'm concerned. Then again these things are subjective right?

cheers m8 welcome to the forums. also read the rules! :rtfm:

lol

Tobin's stuff is great, especially the earliest stuff. But this doesn't come even remotely close the hard normal daddy or even feed me weird things, at least in terms of the complexity of the drum programming.

I find even bricolage to be repetitive compared to the SP albums mentioned. Songs like Papalon and Male Pill, or Tundra or North Circular, are still relatively unrivaled in what they set out to accomplish.

No contest as far as I'm concerned. Then again these things are subjective right?

cheers m8 welcome to the forums. also read the rules! :rtfm:

lol

Totally agree, also all those tracks you mentioned are fuckin wicked, don't think jungle gets much better than that

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

if you can call that "jungle", then yes, (i'ts not automatically jungle if it has amen break in it!)

he just took some elements from the genre, breaks etc but created something completely different

I really cant call GoPlastic jungle, as well as druqks or HAB (althou i remember richard stating in interview that he wanted to create jungle, but didnt really knew how it was done so the result was HAB :crazy: )

artists like Tom/aphex/AE etc do not really fit in "genres"

but yeah I think it was his best era (FMWT >>> Ultravisitor)

Yeah, Burningn' Tree is something a lot of fan's forget about. It was the first SP album i heard, i had it on a TDK C90 tape with Music is Rotted One Note on the other side. That was about 14 years ago when i was borrowing my mates brother's vinyl to take home and taping it then slipping the records back before he noticed. That's where i first started listening to Ae as well (LP5). But it all began with Burningn.

sounds a bit like Goldie

not even! nothing to see as well as production and composition, Squarepusher is much more complex than Goldie musically

Nah, I wouldn't call him the best, one of the best maybe, don't forget about Vibert's 'Amen Andrews'. ;p

yeeeeaaaah Amen Andrews had made the best Jungle Volume 1 to 5... ;-)

Squarepusher's "jungle efforts" are more jazz to me. Like, jazz+jungle+rave+post-cyberpunk. Using "jungle" to describe Squarepusher is limiting, mang... The thing I used to LOOOOOVE about jungle was the amen pop, but due to filtering and bass, Squarepusher made the amen pop even harder than itself. From a pure EQ standpoint, Vibert's made the amen itself pop pretty hard, but he uses the amen as a main element, whereas Jenkinballz uses the amen as supplemental-main and tells a unique story in the process of usage. A lot of "jungle" and amen-related musics are just telling the story of the amen itself (a prime example of this is Vibert's Drum 'N' Bass For Papa track, which I used to rock so hard in high school, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty, he is simply presenting the amen story without much narrative other than slight personal views on the amen matter).

~Long Live Squarepusher~

Plug is not jungle but Drum'n'bass...

i'm not sure, it's so different... Amon Tobin uses a lot of samples... Not Squarepusher...

both are very different.

it's all, Amon Tobin is essentially Breakbeat, Drum'n'Bass or Downtempo... & leftfield... leftfield means experimental... do you know it? cuz this use of this word (or the two words Left Field) is abused...

Archived