IGNORED

Clark: Announcing a co-headline US tour with Jon Hopkins following the release of 'Feast / Beast' this week

Joyrex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cult fiction

Nathan Fake was OK - he was wearing a VHS Head t-shirt.

Jon Hopkins was playing some serious DJ Tiesto/BT/Digweed bullshit. Huge cheesy build ups to 4/4 trance. He also was one of the biggest knob jockeys I've ever seen whipping his hands around like his midi controllers were too hot to touch.

Clark was awesome. This was my second time seeing him and he was a lot more confident this time. Had a modular on stage that apparently wasn't working properly. Played a mix of Totem's Flare, Turning Dragon, only one song off Iradelphic iirc, and a good bit of stuff I hadn't heard before. Amazing mix of styles, some brief forays in jungle.

He left the stage after 40 min. and came back for an encore. He said it was an accident, he thought he had played for an hour and when he went back stage he was shocked he hadn't. He also mentioned that at shows where the atmosphere is right he does like 10 minutes of minimal techno with just his modular suitcase. Apparently the atmosphere wasn't right in Seattle.

Clark is an awesome dude and wicked performer, I hope the new set format doesn't ruin what he has going.

I was pretty happy that the crowd thinned out by nearly half when Jon Hopkins' set ended. So glad Clark was last for that reason, it was so packed. Though the larger crowd would have given him more exposure, of course. I wish Clark's set had been longer.

A friend who wasn't that familiar with Clark commented on how industrial some of Clark's stuff was, I had never thought of that before but he was right. The song playing was Growls Garden. One of the reasons I like Clark, the hard edge to a lot of his music. That reminds me I'm supposed to send him a Spotify list of the most bangin' Clark tracks.

Guest cult fiction

You should try time your drugs so you're fucked up enough to enjoy the jon hopkins cheese trance and be sober in time for clark.

Nathan Fake was OK - he was wearing a VHS Head t-shirt.

Jon Hopkins was playing some serious DJ Tiesto/BT/Digweed bullshit. Huge cheesy build ups to 4/4 trance. He also was one of the biggest knob jockeys I've ever seen whipping his hands around like his midi controllers were too hot to touch.

Clark was awesome. This was my second time seeing him and he was a lot more confident this time. Had a modular on stage that apparently wasn't working properly. Played a mix of Totem's Flare, Turning Dragon, only one song off Iradelphic iirc, and a good bit of stuff I hadn't heard before. Amazing mix of styles, some brief forays in jungle.

He left the stage after 40 min. and came back for an encore. He said it was an accident, he thought he had played for an hour and when he went back stage he was shocked he hadn't. He also mentioned that at shows where the atmosphere is right he does like 10 minutes of minimal techno with just his modular suitcase. Apparently the atmosphere wasn't right in Seattle.

Clark is an awesome dude and wicked performer, I hope the new set format doesn't ruin what he has going.

Interesting.

From my experiences (berlin): Nathan Fake is one of my favourite live performers ever - he impresses me every time.

Hopkins played a very serious set with a lot of his own stuff. Nothing cheesy. Maybe he tries to adapt to the American EDM thing happening...?

It's really nice to see that Clark gets more confidence playing live. I remember DJ gigs from him being so horrible. Good that he found a setup that is better for him (after... 4, 6 years?!?!). On the other hand his analog heavy setup didnt work the last three times i saw him in berlin properly. what sometimes is a good thing because i heard his "10 minutes of minimal techno with just his modular suitcase" when his laptop went down and it was amazing (similar to the iradelphic live sessions).

weird that he only plays for 45 min - 1h ... even if he's headlining. wonder how much he gets for his "performances".

Guest tudikas

went to the portland show last night.

nathan fake - meh

jon hopkins - as others have said, cheesy buildups, lots of midi knob histrionics, but also some really great moments of dark, thick industrial techno.

clark - second time i've seen him live (first time was at bloc a few years ago). he had a moog on which he played key flourishes and wet filter lfo stuff, a laptop, and something that i couldn't see. lots of brilllllliant 30 second snippets of hard techno, breaks' and acid workouts that i've never heard on any album of his.

the weak points were when he tried to throw in canned tracks from albums because he tried to add effects over it, and it came out like mush.

the video was of the short but sweet segment where he dropped some breaks in.

he played lots more jungle type stuff at bloc, and i've been pissed every time he puts out an album because those tracks aren't on it.

Archived