IGNORED

I heard an Aphex Twin song being used on CSI:Miami today.

Guest carthief

Guest carthief

Hello,

I hate the show CSI:Miami, and anything of its ilk. I should be more open-minded, as I try to be with other things I hate, usually trying to keep in mind that other people enjoy the show, and it's offensive for me to say ignorantly that I hate something they enjoy.

But, it comes on after some shows I normally keep on in the morning, and sometimes I leave the room, and it stays on. That happened today, and at the end of the episode the track "Tree" from Selected Ambient Works II was being used, for a fairly significant amount of time in "TV World" (maybe a good 2 minutes).

In searching to see if someone else posted this previously, I noticed posts about similar shows, CSI:NY or whatever, using Aphex Twin songs as well. One also mentioned Boards of Canada.

I guess mostly I'm surprised that the show would have permission to use an Aphex Twin song. Does the artist approve of each use and track? Or does a network offer a set amount of money for the tracks on a specific album, to be used a set number of time?

In all, I'm sure the guy needs to make money, and so I can't be judgemental there, as I could see myself doing the same thing down the road, although it would have been "abhorrent," to use someone else's term, to my mind a few years ago. Life is life, I don't know.

Anyway, if anyone has any insight, I'm quite curious.

Thanks.

They probably paid Sire/Warner Bros for a license. The fee is usually between $500 and several thousands of dollars. There doesn't seem to be a set limit to how much the fee is. I don't know if they ask the actual artist or not, or even if the artist gets a cut of that fee. If they do, it's probably a small percentage. Or maybe they didn't even ask anyone. That happens more often than some people might think.

They probably paid Sire/Warner Bros for a license. The fee is usually between $500 and several thousands of dollars. There doesn't seem to be a set limit to how much the fee is. I don't know if they ask the actual artist or not, or even if the artist gets a cut of that fee. If they do, it's probably a small percentage. Or maybe they didn't even ask anyone. That happens more often than some people might think.

I was wondering about how that worked. BBC seems to use a lot of music - I've heard RDJ a lot on Top Gear.

I've heard other music used on CSI that would easily be categorized as IDM or "electronica" - Yppah had a track on CSI a few years back.

Publishing via film/tv works in many different ways, so there's no set answer to how rdj may have agreed/how much he's making, etc. Seeing that he's a composer on all of his music, he is without a doubt, going to get at least his writer's share of performance royalties paid to him via BMI or ASCAP- unless he somehow gave up his writing royalties which wouldnt happen, or he already received them via a prior deal, or the show doesnt pay back end royalties which would be absurd. He may also get a cut of the publisher's share depending on whether he owns part of his publishing share or if that's all in the hands of his label or label's publisher. Many top tier artists have their own publishing companies and will be able to collect on both writing and a good portion of publishing shares (I imagine Madonna, MJ's estate, paul mccartney, elton john, trent reznor- artists of that caliber own a healthy share of their publishing share). So, unless he already got some kind of blanket fee paid by the network owners through his label/pub co. a while ago, for a bunch of usages, then he should be getting future royalties on this. Primetime TV shows generally pay a bit more than cable and specialty channels, so CSI should be decent. I know peeps who have gotten decent royalty checks from single usages in Entourage, Ugly Betty and stuff like that cuz they keep playing over and over in many countries etc, so it adds up. From my personal experience, reality shows (kardashians, real world, etc) on cable only pay a little bit of royalties, nothing to go crazy over. One decent show that was a total flop that i had music in, actually paid more than many of the reality shows cuz it was on a station that paid more - tnt, i believe.

as far as upfront sync fees, whoever owns the master recordings (usually labels) collects those and may distribute depending on their particular deal.

rdj may or may have not known about the useage in csi, depending on his relationship with his label/pub, but since theyre a major, theyre going to have stellar accounting and admin, so they will definitely know asap. I would imagine at the very least, that they'd send him emails of which shows played his stuff. Even if he didn't know though, he's still gonna get a check.

hello

i hate the game GTAV and and i happen to put it on and they play windowlicker

pliss help

Publishing via film/tv works in many different ways, so there's no set answer to how rdj may have agreed/how much he's making, etc. Seeing that he's a composer on all of his music, he is without a doubt, going to get at least his writer's share of performance royalties paid to him via BMI or ASCAP- unless he somehow gave up his writing royalties which wouldnt happen, or he already received them via a prior deal, or the show doesnt pay back end royalties which would be absurd. He may also get a cut of the publisher's share depending on whether he owns part of his publishing share or if that's all in the hands of his label or label's publisher. Many top tier artists have their own publishing companies and will be able to collect on both writing and a good portion of publishing shares (I imagine Madonna, MJ's estate, paul mccartney, elton john, trent reznor- artists of that caliber own a healthy share of their publishing share). So, unless he already got some kind of blanket fee paid by the network owners through his label/pub co. a while ago, for a bunch of usages, then he should be getting future royalties on this. Primetime TV shows generally pay a bit more than cable and specialty channels, so CSI should be decent. I know peeps who have gotten decent royalty checks from single usages in Entourage, Ugly Betty and stuff like that cuz they keep playing over and over in many countries etc, so it adds up. From my personal experience, reality shows (kardashians, real world, etc) on cable only pay a little bit of royalties, nothing to go crazy over. One decent show that was a total flop that i had music in, actually paid more than many of the reality shows cuz it was on a station that paid more - tnt, i believe.

as far as upfront sync fees, whoever owns the master recordings (usually labels) collects those and may distribute depending on their particular deal.

rdj may or may have not known about the useage in csi, depending on his relationship with his label/pub, but since theyre a major, theyre going to have stellar accounting and admin, so they will definitely know asap. I would imagine at the very least, that they'd send him emails of which shows played his stuff. Even if he didn't know though, he's still gonna get a check.

bth_Patrick.gif

hello

i hate the game GTAV and and i happen to put it on and they play windowlicker

pliss help

bth_Patrick.gif

lol

"Evelyn.. Great ass. I heard she's dating that Patrick Bateman guy, whaaaat a dork."

"Another martini, PAUL?"

• 5 months later...

I had the TV on in the background and that shocking programme 'Doctors' was on BBC2, there were two guys in their early twenties smoking/getting stoned on the sofa listening to Didgeridoo, before their dad walked in shouting "Turn that noise down!" "How long is this going to go on for?" LOL

I had the TV on in the background and that shocking programme 'Doctors' was on BBC2, there were two guys in their early twenties smoking/getting stoned on the sofa listening to Didgeridoo, before their dad walked in shouting "Turn that noise down!" "How long is this going to go on for?" LOL

classic lol

my mum records that program, so I'll be popping round just to check. If it's not true? it's still a classic post

Guest jasondonervan

I found your Didgeridoctors for you :aphexsign:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived