IGNORED

Osla for n

zlemflolia

Is this the worst track on L-event by a very large margin or am I just not getting it?

I have a feeling there's some really subtle changes in the percussion I'm not noticing yet which make it worthwhile. I also sort of have this feeling that it's a skeletal version of parts of M39 Diffain, with the tonality somewhat taken away but the pacing and timbral changes kept

It's hard to crack for me

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the worst by a HUGE margin. I actually find it a terrible track overall. Not "terrible by Autechre standards", just plain terrible. It sounds like when I have to scrape the windows of my car when they frost up in the winter time.

Variations in the percussion and other elements were very predictable and it seemed like a lot of novice techniques and effects were used. Just seems like it was completely unfinished and missing layers or something.

let's just say it's really strange that they are sitting on 2 amazing full lengths of material (quaristice live and oversteps live) and instead chose to put this track on a proper release.

sound design wise it's sort of an interesting track i suppose, but it being the longest track on the EP seems rather unecessary

let's just say it's really strange that they are sitting on 2 amazing full lengths of material (quaristice live and oversteps live) and instead chose to put this track on a proper release.

sound design wise it's sort of an interesting track i suppose, but it being the longest track on the EP seems rather unnecessary

Filler.

A shit move by them I guess. I'm just glad I got 3 awesome tracks out of it.

this track is intense and i hereby predict that you guys will change your mind about it.

something about that coughing rhythm that just does it for me... definitelt number 1 candidate for scarist ae track.

do i care how it is made? no. these sort of ae musics usually end up as being the most enjoyable for me..

i can kinda imagine how osla must sound in your ears but that's sort of like trying to sober up while being high on shrooms..

I agree that it may get better with time and after repeated listens, but it's definitely a harder one to enjoy at first. I just don't see the appeal at this point and want to figure out how to

What is good about it? Is there some sound in the background that puts it all together and lets it make sense? Halp

^I haven't really listened to the ambience, maybe that's it. I'll give it a try right now

hm dunno i found the rhythm and that coughing sound just very good from the first time i've heard it.. it is hard to capture what it is exactly.

maybe it's because it evokes absurd imagery, and it's something else with each hit of that weird sound... a bit like that improbanility drive in hitchiker's guide to galaxy?

(newbound on the other hand doesn't do very much for me but imagine this might turn with some pot)

I like it okay, certainly doesn't annoy me as much as Dial off of gantz graf (heresy I know).

I think it's in between, it's grating and repetitive, but it has that nice "melody hint" 2/3 of the way through that saves it. Neither best nor worst. Also it does have some nice detailing...

And newbound is worse imo imo

I like it okay, certainly doesn't annoy me as much as Dial off of gantz graf (heresy I know).

Whoa whoa whoa. Someone doesn't like Dial.? GTFO. Now.

Okay but really, why don't you like Dial.? I'm honestly curious.

I love this track, especially how it develops and gets more space in the second half. Its got the Augmatic Disport thing going. Very obtuse and overbearing beginning, which melts away into a funky simmer.

For me newbound is by far far the weakest track. The laser beats are interesting but its melody is SO awkward. And not in an endearing way.

edit: at auxien

you can't see how someone would find it annoying? It's like a mutant offspring of idm and ska or something.

I respect it artistically but still find it to be quite annoying, and usually skip it.

but its melody is SO awkward. And not in an endearing way.

+1. The melody is quite poop. It's pretty awkward to listen to a track that's trying to be the next Teartear or Yuop and failing badly. It's almost a parody of grandiose electronic music.

It's like a mutant offspring of idm and ska or something.

I respect it artistically but still find it to be quite annoying, and usually skip it.

Agreed. In fact Dial and Maetl may be the only two Ae tracks that I find annoying. But even maetl has some lush undertones and is much more listenable than Dial.

edit: at auxien

you can't see how someone would find it annoying? It's like a mutant offspring of idm and ska or something.

Ha, guess I just never saw it from that perspective. I can see some reasons one might be put off for some time perhaps, but it's such a unique track I would just expect it to win anyone over with time. I just have too much love for it I guess. There's lots of AE to choose from, luckily.

Sent using magic

maybe it's because it evokes absurd imagery, and it's something else with each hit of that weird sound... a bit like that improbanility drive in hitchiker's guide to galaxy?

Yeah - "Coughing whale and a flower pot". I think most important is the feeling the tracks ambience transports.

Clear turning point at 4:00 where the coughing transposes into a more traditional rhythm. There it is less annoying. I'm not sure if I find the coughing annoying between 0:00 and 4:00...

Not a bad track. Interesting track.

Not heresy! My listening back in the days: Gantz Graf 70%, Cap IV 29.9%, Dial 0.1%: Because dial was soooo... average joe stuff. Can be played on Love Parade etc... Please, Dial, GTFO of our IDM and leave that Gantz Graf CD/DVD!.

Archived