IGNORED

Mogwai - Rave Tapes

jules

mogwairavetapes.jpg

Scottish post-rockers Mogwai will return with a new album, Rave Tapes, on January 21st via Sub Pop. The follow-up to 2011′s excellent Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will was self-produced alongside Paul Savage and comes stocked with 10 tracks and clocks in at just under 50 minutes. Preview the album now with a stream of “Remurdered” below. Fans of John Carpenter and Kraftwerk finally have something to discuss over sub sandwiches.

track sounds pretty cool

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/10/mogwai-announces-new-album-rave-tapes/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

s'alright. they've often had an electronic element to their music but I kinda wish they would take it a bit further.

Guest Ron Manager

Nice. Love me some Mogwai, The Returned soundtrack thingy earlier this year was excellent.

i love that soundtrack so much. their best work since Happy Songs For Happy People.

new track is interesting... feel like it's probably a grower.

Love'em, but, I get the feeling they stopped pushing themselves from Rock Action onwards.

woah, really? I think they've been really doing some different stuff lately. I just thought they were pretty straight post-rock in the early days..

^ that

a lot of the early-to-mid period stuff was groundbreaking, however taken on the whole much of it just isn't as developed or as engaging or as varied as what followed. CODY and Rock Action put me to sleep - not necessarily in a bad way, they're good albums, but I will always like loud Mogwai more than quiet Mogwai. Happy Songs and Mr Beast have been their best works to date. especially Mr Beast.

If this new album has anything anywhere near as awesome as Mexican Grand Prix, I'll be pretty happy. I have to say that's my favourite out of everything they've done.

that's an unusual choice but it's a good track. faster than their usual business.

I'd have an impossible time picking a favourite. Folk Death 95, maybe.

Their late stuff was pretty fluffy and sort of boring. I miss the energy they had in the past. New Paths To Helicon anybody?

Yeah same here. I think My Father My King was their greatest moment. This sounds pretty good, the production's a bit too 80's for me but I like the melodies and the build. However the music turns out, this is one of their all-time best album covers at least.

• 1 month later...

^ that

a lot of the early-to-mid period stuff was groundbreaking, however taken on the whole much of it just isn't as developed or as engaging or as varied as what followed. CODY and Rock Action put me to sleep - not necessarily in a bad way, they're good albums, but I will always like loud Mogwai more than quiet Mogwai. Happy Songs and Mr Beast have been their best works to date. especially Mr Beast.

I completely agree with everything in this post... I like CODY for those quiet winter nights, but I like louder more intense Mogwai. Hardcore Will Never Die... was pretty damn good imo, curious about this new one I have yet to hear the previews.

Guest Ron Manager

i disagree. Les Revenants aside, post-Happy Songs Mogwai just hasn't grabbed me like the earlier stuff. it's interesting, but it lacks the emotion and ferocity of earlier albums IMO. Mr Beast was pretty good (the aforementioned Folk Death 95 is excellent), and their recent albums all have their moments, but i think pretty much everything between Young Team and Happy Songs or maybe Mr Beast is awesome. for my money, it doesn't get much better than the Ex-Cowboy - Chocky - Christmas Steps triumvirate on CODY. that 30 minutes is just insane.

a favourite single track is hard, but it's gotta be Superheroes of BMX. lovely.

Archived