IGNORED

Mogwai - Rave Tapes

jules

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After splashing out over £60 for the boxset there's no way I'm going to prem-ejac with some shitty stream. Monday seems to be taking forever to arrive though, I'm getting a bit impatient.

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

^ that

a lot of the early-to-mid period stuff was groundbreaking, however taken on the whole much of it just isn't as developed or as engaging or as varied as what followed. CODY and Rock Action put me to sleep - not necessarily in a bad way, they're good albums, but I will always like loud Mogwai more than quiet Mogwai. Happy Songs and Mr Beast have been their best works to date. especially Mr Beast.

I completely agree with everything in this post... I like CODY for those quiet winter nights, but I like louder more intense Mogwai. Hardcore Will Never Die... was pretty damn good imo, curious about this new one I have yet to hear the previews.

I'm more into the quieter mogwai stuff. cody being my favourite. although I am partial to some loud moments, too much loud is too much. same with fuck buttons new albums

that someone thinks happy songs and mr beast are their best is incredible.

^ that

a lot of the early-to-mid period stuff was groundbreaking, however taken on the whole much of it just isn't as developed or as engaging or as varied as what followed. CODY and Rock Action put me to sleep - not necessarily in a bad way, they're good albums, but I will always like loud Mogwai more than quiet Mogwai. Happy Songs and Mr Beast have been their best works to date. especially Mr Beast.

I completely agree with everything in this post... I like CODY for those quiet winter nights, but I like louder more intense Mogwai. Hardcore Will Never Die... was pretty damn good imo, curious about this new one I have yet to hear the previews.

I'm more into the quieter mogwai stuff. cody being my favourite. although I am partial to some loud moments, too much loud is too much. same with fuck buttons new albums

that someone thinks happy songs and mr beast are their best is incredible.

I'm also a massive fan of happy songs and mr beast....and you'r right I am incredible :wink:

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

well imma go back and listen to those albums then. i bought them when they came out and enjoyed but they haven't been on regular rotation for many years.

I've warmed to a few tracks but after several spins I think it's easily their worst album and pretty uninspired. I'm a huge Mogwai fan as well. :sad:

I was about to say I wouldn't call it their worst...but then again, I really am having trouble thinking of a bad album, so maybe you're not too far off. I'm not a huge fan of Hawk is Howling, but I still recognize its intensity, which I feel this album is lacking.

I wouldn't consider it a bad album overall, but am surprised there aren't any quintessential LOUD tracks on it.

Guest Ron Manager

a favourite single track is hard, but it's gotta be Superheroes of BMX. lovely.

good choice, may i also remind thee of the brilliance of Small Children in the Background...

indeed, another stellar choice. that EP+6 compilation is all killer - see also Stanley Kubrick, Burn Girl Prom Queen, Rage:Man...

Small children in the background is 1 of my favs as well.... Only had chance to listen to the new album once, liked it but then I always do with Mogwai but need a few more listens to decide how good it is, reminded me a little bit of an updated CODY which is good sign.

I thought the Returned soundtrack thing from last year was one of the best things they have done so hoping this lives up to it with a few more spins

a favourite single track is hard, but it's gotta be Superheroes of BMX. lovely.

good choice, may i also remind thee of the brilliance of Small Children in the Background...

indeed, another stellar choice. that EP+6 compilation is all killer - see also Stanley Kubrick, Burn Girl Prom Queen, Rage:Man...

Yup.

It will always be about the first three LPs and EP+6 for me.

This new one is aiight in that new-Mogwai-album-oh-look-they're-still-using-that-same-guitar-sound/technique-and-stuck-some-bits-on-it way.

Yeah this is nothing very new from them but it is very enjoyable. In someways I would like to see them mix it up a little bit more at this stage but they are fucking good at what they do so cant really knock them for it.

• 1 year later...

ive been rather obsessed with this album lately. i like it a lot more than when it came out. maybe it's the weather. maybe im getting too old. whatever it is, it is really working for me right now. adore the last track.

This hasn't blown me away either: much prefer 65daysofstatic's latest, Wild Light, which is in the same genre ball park

65daysofstatic is definitely underrated as far as post-rock goes... admittedly haven't listened to them in a while, I should re-visit their more current stuff.

This hasn't blown me away either: much prefer 65daysofstatic's latest, Wild Light, which is in the same genre ball park

65daysofstatic is definitely underrated as far as post-rock goes... admittedly haven't listened to them in a while, I should re-visit their more current stuff.

it's cos they have such a crap name.

both mogwai and 65days have got progressively more boring in recent years imo. mogwai have been pretty much a snoozefest since the hawk is howling.

edit: actually I remember listening to hardcore will never die quite a lot when it was released, but I'd forgotten all about it so it couldn't have been that great.

Archived