IGNORED

building a new pc for production.

pcock

went for it, took me two days to get it all working from youtube tuts, but its sweet as fuck. 7.8 out 7.9 on the windows scale thing. gonna load up ableton and make a tune with a billion vst's just cos i can.

how do you score a 10 then? your setup looks quite nice.

you don't, the maximum is 7.9

but in any case, the Windows Experience score was bullshit anyways

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

since we're measuring our computerpeens, here are the specs of my recent build from August last year that I meant to post in one of the other pc-building threads:

Antec GX700B Case

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H LGA1150 Motherboard

Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz CPU

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x 8GB) RAM

Gainward GTX 770 Phantom 2GB Video Card

Creative Sound Blaster Z Sound Card

Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD

[x2] Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDDs
Corsair HX-750 V2 Modular PSU
LG BH16NS40 16x OEM Blu-Ray Burner Drive

Razer Deathadder Mouse

Logitech Ultra-Flat Keyboard

cost a bit over $2200 AUD. I wanted to strike a balance between making it as lean/practical and as long-lasting/overclockable as possible. the motherboard is relatively lightweight, not packed full of features I'll never use (not doing SLI ever again). deliberately overdid the RAM a bit so I'd never have limitations on that front. still got a sound card and an optical drive because I'm a stickler for those. the GPU has impressed me a lot, great unit.

I can run pretty much anything I've bought in the last 9 months at max specs so I'm pretty happy with it. haven't overclocked it yet, will be attacking that systematically soon. I cleaned it out last weekend as it'd accumulated a fair bit of dust and now it's purring along nicely at 21-degree (CPU) temps.

also while collecting these specs I grabbed the current prices for each of the components versus the prices I paid in Aug, and on the whole the total value of the comp has only dropped by about 40 bucks! I couldn't believe it. the video card has dropped by the most (which is to be expected I suppose), and some of the other components have offset that by rising in price (the RAM especially, I think I must have bought it on special at the time, can't recall).

still planning to spend a bit more on a new primary monitor.

• 6 months later...

Just purchased a "refurb" PC from a mate having a clear-out at his work. Pretty stoked that I picked up a bargain for about £130, and it will definitely handle what I need it for. Happy to have a project over Christmas setting it up, and glad that I can finally get back into the production game after about a 2 year absence.

Archived