IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Not a question, but here is something you guys might find interesting:

Back in 2007 I went to Venice and visited the Biennale, the big art festival. I went into a pavilion, can't remember which country, Norway, Sweden, Finland... something Scandinavian (I might be wrong). I see this art film thats playing. Pretty weird, had lots of snowy landscapes, white and blue colors, and sometimes people, don't know what they were doing, it looked like it was made from still photos with subtle differences that mutated into eachother. It was edited to various musics. It was weird and I liked it, so I decided to watch the whole thing. And lo' and behold, I suddenly hear Melve. I've heard it play three times or more in the movie. It didn't play long, it was used as an intermission between scenes or something. At the end I looked at the credits, and every song that was used in the movie was credited... except Melve.

So hey, your song was used in an art film at the biggest art festival in the world. Without you being credited.

Were you guys aware of this?

Do you guys have any background in music theory at all? I always joke with my friend, who knows music theory, to tell me the time signature of some of your songs.

not really

we knew none at all when we started

Not a question, but here is something you guys might find interesting:Back in 2007 I went to Venice and visited the Biennale, the big art festival. I went into a pavilion, can't remember which country, Norway, Sweden, Finland... something Scandinavian (I might be wrong). I see this art film thats playing. Pretty weird, had lots of snowy landscapes, white and blue colors, and sometimes people, don't know what they were doing, it looked like it was made from still photos with subtle differences that mutated into eachother. It was edited to various musics. It was weird and I liked it, so I decided to watch the whole thing. And lo' and behold, I suddenly hear Melve. I've heard it play three times or more in the movie. It didn't play long, it was used as an intermission between scenes or something. At the end I looked at the credits, and every song that was used in the movie was credited... except Melve.So hey, your song was used in an art film at the biggest art festival in the world. Without you being credited.Were you guys aware of this?

Had no idea.

Favorite Islay scotch?

Also, tac Lacora is amazing, my favorite autechre track in like 10 years!

dunno i only recently started on whisky

recc me some

i really enjoy talisker, bit fiery and i kinda like the peat taste but not too much. jura also. longmorn 16 is my favourite by far, proper developed taste and not too overpowering. Getting into whisky myself this past year, a great way to wind up the day.

i think you might have missed my earlier question about headphones preference - what headphones would you recommend for listening to your music? does it matter a lot to you or do you prefer listening to your finished pieces on a pair of decent speakers?

i'm not very good at this kind of thing but i have a mate who works at richer sounds who i could put you in touch with

Guys, are you able after all those years imagine a sound you would like to create and then really create it? Or are you at least able to predict what your patches will do? Or is it re-discovering over and over again and just trying new things all the time?

What's your favorite western movie? (i need it for school)

A Fist Full of Travellers Cheques

bastardos

They can play, they just need a new manager

Not a question, but here is something you guys might find interesting:Back in 2007 I went to Venice and visited the Biennale, the big art festival. I went into a pavilion, can't remember which country, Norway, Sweden, Finland... something Scandinavian (I might be wrong). I see this art film thats playing. Pretty weird, had lots of snowy landscapes, white and blue colors, and sometimes people, don't know what they were doing, it looked like it was made from still photos with subtle differences that mutated into eachother. It was edited to various musics. It was weird and I liked it, so I decided to watch the whole thing. And lo' and behold, I suddenly hear Melve. I've heard it play three times or more in the movie. It didn't play long, it was used as an intermission between scenes or something. At the end I looked at the credits, and every song that was used in the movie was credited... except Melve.So hey, your song was used in an art film at the biggest art festival in the world. Without you being credited.Were you guys aware of this?

Had no idea.

Can they just do that?

1. Is your own material included in the ClearSpot Experimental Mix? If you remember, could you please identify the gorgeous track at the end of the mix - the one with the "spelling?" Would it be too much to ask for the tracklist for this awesome mix?

2. Is it a coincidence that the leading melody in "Silverside" sounds very similar to one of the tracks on Egisto Macchi's "I Futurilbili?" Are you familiar with this album?

3. Each of your last two albums has one track with fragments that sound sort of like a male religious choir. Namely: "d-sho qub" (which was described in a review as having "angelic voices") and "deco Loc" (the title might be a play on the word "Decalogue"). Are those religious/spiritual influences?

Actualy I got a decent question,

What do you think about Streetsounds Electro Compilations? Were they really important to you? I'm pretty sure these compilations were key to your early days and getting you into music? I remember an older friend of mine playing me Knights of the Turntables, off....Electro 5....I think, just checked, and yes it was number 5 (Techno Scratch). That moment changed my life (I was about 11 years old). I'd never heard music like that before, though elementry it seemed beamed in from another planet. Like your music seems beamed in from another planet.

yeah the whole series was totally key, made it loads easier to actually afford music

knights of the turntables were amazing, and chris the glove taylor's stuff, they had a similar weird future acid vibe. wish there was more stuff like that out there tbh

i used to love that ray gun omics track as well

Does it bother you that for the most part creating electronic music and putting on shows is not environmentally friendly? I guess in your case it is more so, because you have tendency to turn off the lights. Did this factor play a role in your decision to experiment with a low light atmosphere?

I appreciate this aspect of your performance. It seems so often that people decide to throw a random video on screen to entertain their audience. More specifically solo electronic artists tend to do this. I believe this is what Squarepusher was attempting to overcome with his Ufabulum project/tour. (as he sort of stated in an interview)

What do you think is the next step in the evolution of electronic music performances? Do you think Squarepusher did a good job of challenging this boundary between artist and presentation?

i didn't know that was what he was trying to do

i dunno i haven't thought about it in any depth tbh, i just thought he was wearing a helmet with lights on

Anything you'd like to say regarding the FS-1R? Did you program it via the interface, or did you use a software controller or other device? It's quite a daunting beast.

Thanks for being accessible to your fans. While we're all at it, could you name my FS-1R?

bastardos

hah thanks guys! i actually need 3 westerns each one from a different decade, but the decades need to follow-up..? (eg 60s-70s-80s)

so if you could give me one from the 70s or something that'd be awesome lol :crazy:

Had no idea.
Can they just do that?

Looks like it, thing is though, they may well have posted the details of use on the local rights management organisation, in which case it couldve been attributed correctly. But yeah mbe they didnt even know who it was. Or care. Sorry

Whisky: Maker's Mark is a classic American whisky, Jameson is a good Irish go-to.

What was the resonant structure referenced in Extended Ambience Sample from a Resonant Structure?

you really don't wanna know

bastardos

hah thanks guys! i actually need 3 westerns each one from a different decade, but the decades need to follow-up..? (eg 60s-70s-80s)

so if you could give me one from the 70s or something that'd be awesome lol :crazy:

WESTWORLD