IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

Hey Rob,

I forgot to ask this essential question:

Do you already have a plan which countries to visit with the Exai tour (if there is the Exai tour)?

More specifically, anywhere in central Europe? Even more specifically the Czech Republic?

I know you were in Brno during the Oversteps tour but I don't know how successful it was for you and so if there's a possibility you would visit us again. I missed the show so I would love to have at least one more chance to experience your sonic-battering.

Thanks.

Brno was very successful imo. the place almost got trashed because we'd finished, wasn't acceptable.

So you are basically saying "yeah, we will definitely come this tour again, we will maybe even tour three to four Czech cities". Cool!

Seriously, how satisfied with the Czech Republic you were here? No problems with people and services compared to UK?

srsly. the ppl were great, welcome was warm, taxi prompt, laundry fine, but yeah they got really really pissed at us for stopping after 1.5 hrs.

You mean like really pissed? Wow, I thought you mean it like "very sad it's over, want more" but in a good way. I hope there was no booing.

So 1.5 hour just Ae or the whole show?

no actually annoyed, they'd been getting pissed all day i expect,

the set we played was about that , 50% longer than usual. the night was early evening to early morning

So you had to improvise for half an hour because they really enjoyed it? Were they dancing or just standing like, you said, americans? That was your first time in the Czech Rep, wasn't it?

They were obviously incredibly enthusiastic, addicted fans of your music

Edited by Jev

Do you have track titles for the live tracks you do?

not usually

but like, when we get handed a PRS form to fill in we make up a ton on the spot

so there are a lot of PRS listings for weird tracks that are only parts of live sets and that we subsequently forgot the names of

What do you think of banksy?

Could you please name my waldorf blofeld?

Please, name it "Waldorf Blofeld".

Edited by Jev

Guest thisfieldisrequired

i think you guys blanked Mike Paradinas. he's "Bambi" IIRC and he posted a few pages ago

Edited by thisfieldisrequired

I haven't read all the questions, so don't know if this has been asked (or answered) but

In your opinion why and how do you think music (making and appreciation) evolved in humans?

communication

not usually

so there are a lot of PRS listings for weird tracks that are only parts of live sets and that we subsequently forgot the names of

Do you still have such list? Can you show it to us? Sounds it would be good for a laugh.

Garbagemx36 runs the gambit for me, sinister in the beginning, hectic and chaotic throughout, a breath of fresh air at one point, and then beautiful calm at the end, any memories or stories about this track pls?

i remember being quite stoked that we'd pulled off a 14 min+ track hahah. it was good riding the EPS+ FX units live, knowing that the R8 programming was dope. wanted to get it really John Barry'ed.

something along those lines.

What do you think of banksy?

Could you please name my waldorf blofeld?

utter shit

i was deeply saddened when i heard that munnery was writing jokes for him

your waldorf blofeld is now called simon

not usually

Do you still have such list? Can you show it to us? Sounds it would be good for a laugh.

not to hand but if any surface i will chuck them somewhere later

When people say Envane is all reworkings of Nuane, are they talking out their ass or is there truth to this?

it's like, slightly true

Something I always found intriguing was the way you talk about the use of space.

For ages I associated that with the use of like timbre and dynamics to create like imagery of external spaces, but I always got a weird vibe from Quaristice, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I think what it represents to me is more of an internal or perceptive space, almost with like dissociative or solipistic feeling, like the way when you're having an internal dialogue with yourself and it almost exists in its own sort of space. 90101-5l-l is probably the track I get that feeling from the most, IO is another.

"bladelores" from Exai gives me almost the opposite feeling, where it feels very much like an external space (I always imagine like Antarctica for some reason).

Not saying that it's like an intentional part of your design or anything, but do you ever pay any thought to that kind of thing when you're listening to music yourselves? Sorry if that came across as vague or abstract, it's kind of hard to translate into words.

yeah i would agree with both of those, i know what you mean i had a similar thought

quaristice is meant to flow like a long dream, you know how doors lead to different chapters and worlds before you realise

oops im revealing things now

Ahhh I would love it if you'd elaborate on this although it seems like you'd rather not. I get that vibe so strongly from Quaristice too, and I mentioned something similar about irlite (get 0) earlier in the thread. I love that and I can't think of anyone else that can pull it off.

Guest KunoMerit

Any track that people think is "complicated" which is actually quite simple? I'm thinking of gear-people speculating on the sequencing, etc. If so, which one?

autechre, I loved the formatting destroyer thing that came with the l event announcement. Also I loved the bizarre and wonderful fucked up myspace of yesteryear. Are you fans of browser art / net art ? Do you dabble yourselves in a little of it? Might we see more fascinating autechrian remixes of the internet?

possibly something slightly related, i dunno

wouldn't be the same thing again tho, conceptually

Sea'nRob:

We gave this cat, which came last year to us and now permanently lives in our garden/gardens house, the name "Knut", it's a german males name. Now I found out a week ago, Knut is a girl.

Do you have a girls name for Knut meeeoooow please?

knutmcq3i.jpg

Edited by Guest

Almost everything I wanted to ask has been asked by others, but a few things:

- In the past few years, I've come across quite a few artists who've said they're going to give up 'albums' and just focus on songs or EPs (then two years later they announce a new album and it all gets forgotten), and there are a lot of artists, particularly in the tape scene, who seem to put out a tape with a couple of long jams on every couple of months rather than compiling for a new album. Obviously there will be certain contractual and budgetry limits working with a label like Warp, but does the idea of moving away from albums into something less rigid/structured appeal to you? Like the way earlier in the thread you described Exai as effectively being four EPs in a box as much as an actual album (this also means I am now going to have to follow Exai with L-Event every time).

(For the record, I've tried it and went back to albums again myself. There's definitely a conservative side to my musical mind)

- Ever hear a track for the first time and it seems instantly familiar? For me, the second half of Piezo seems to have been in my head since I was a kid, despite only first hearing it about ten years ago. Makes me think of being on a motorway in the middle of the night, distant city lights on the horizon - vaguely in the future.

- You asked for classical recommendations, I'm going to put this one forward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USYvaseTOXo

- Sean, you said you keep up with FSOL's latest releases. Do you get news from my (badly designed) website? :D http://secondthought.co.uk/fsol

- Be sad to see this thread end, any chance of giving up the music and doing this as a living instead?

- As everyone's doing it, can you name my Stylophone?

re piezo - funny i was saying similar early on in this thread. definitely a travelling past regular waypoints situation, with large scale moire patterns, then as the strings emerge 2mins in as a horizon rising up. it could work.

Any track that people think is "complicated" which is actually quite simple? I'm thinking of gear-people speculating on the sequencing, etc. If so, which one?

i always thought that about gantz graf tbh

but yeah loads, i think cos there's a lot of ambiguity about how things are done, ppl sometimes think things that are formally weird are somehow hard to do, or very technical or whatever

i see it more as people getting concepts like bravery and risk mixed up with ability and intention

it's all part of the fun tho innit

What do you think about the rise of electronic music in the popular realm, both in Top40 pop songs and with electronic-exclusive artists like Skrillex or Avicii? Do you like any of this music? edit: especially knowing that Skrillex and I assume some of these other artists consider you to be one of their major influences.

How does it feel to have your thread now be longer than the Skrillex thread?

reptile's theme is good. avicii is nothing like skrillex

Do you guys give input about the mastering process, or do you stay pretty hands off? For instance, certain releases, like Untilted, seem to be more compressed and louder than others.

ironically enough noel leaves things pretty much as we deliver them and frank and kev were absolute demons and would really change things

Not being bothered to sift through 103 pages of random questions and name requests to see if this has already been asked: Could you name a track for me?