IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

What did you guys think of Lynch's Inland Empire?

it's my fave thing he's done

it's weird cos a lot of my mates slagged it cos of the film quality, but i reckon it appeals to me even more than film cos i like some old video art as well

the way it flows is amazing tho

it's sad that he said he won't do any more, but he's old and i like enough of his music for it not to be a huge deal. but man, he was getting so good there

He's certainly not retired yet. There was an article on him in NY Times this year mentioning he's working on a new script, which wasn't denied by Lynch

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/david-lynch-transcendental-meditation.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytmovies&pagewanted=all&_r=2&

The quote:

A few months later, I reached Lynch by phone at his hotel room in Paris. Bob Roth had told me that Lynch said he was working on a new script and that it was typically dark. When I asked Lynch about this, he paused, annoyed. “Bobby’s got a big mouth,” he said. I asked him if the script was influenced by his work with T.M., and he said no, absolutely not. This will be a David Lynch picture, he said, adding, “I think people would probably recognize it.”

what a beauty

to me Inland Empire is the most Autechrian film ever, if that makes any sense.

well that's a huge compliment

it def resonates with me in a weirdly deep way

i mean i was always a massive fan but that was like, times 10 for me

Have you read anything by Thomas Pynchon, Sean?

To me he is the most Autechrian author (I guess it's the other way round as he came first, but you know what I mean). Especially Gravity's Rainbow.

no never

i will now tho

in a similar vein someone once suggested james joyce, but i tried to read finnegan's wake once and was like, whatthefuckamireading.jpg

LOL! That's the standard response to Finnegan's Wake. Try Ulysses instead.

And definitely try Gravity's Rainbow. And maybe some of Jorge Luis Borges' stuff.

oh i read library of babel once, that was highly awesome

well that's a huge compliment

it def resonates with me in a weirdly deep way

i mean i was always a massive fan but that was like, times 10 for me

... one thing i've realised from reading this thread is that you guys are being mistaken as two cold technicians obsessed with virtuose modular prowess, when in fact you're just two sensitive guys obsessed with dreams.

i don't know but there's a dreamlike quality to Exai i seem to haven't noticed before. maybe it's those huge frozen reverb clouds in Bladelores or SPL9 (@3'20)... but it's like your work has taken a new dimension for me.

key stuff there

Is this your last night answering questions? Everybody is saying their goodbyes! (I haven't read up on what has been said today :whistling:)

yeah shame, joyrex says no (from midnight CST)

Well, we can keep it going if you want! No, really - Sean and Rob have taken an enormous amount of their time to do this - let's let them get back to making great electronic music and hopefully the next AE release will be even more spectacular than Exai and L-Event!

Of course, they're both welcome to pop in whenever and participate in threads...

Is this your last night answering questions? Everybody is saying their goodbyes! (I haven't read up on what has been said today :whistling:)

yeah shame, joyrex says no (from midnight CST)

Aw well, it's been fun. Would be kinda sad if the triachus scenario would manifest itself

ae: "Hey, where is everyone? Does anyone have any questions? Anyone? Questions?"

watmm: "Sheesh are you still here?"

Both of you seem like proper mates. Going to delph deeper into your musical repertoire, since I've only listened to Incanbula.. and appreciated it dearly! Couldn't get into Amber for some reason. Got stuck at Slip, haha. I guess my mindstate just wasn't right for that moment.. or maybe the track did what it was supposed to..??

Anyway, tata, lots of blessings and good luck on your future projects!

Edited by Guest

where's the most random place someone has asked 'are you from autechre?'

I know this is AAA and all but were you at Computer Club the other night?

nah, just got back from dublin with work. will be there in dec.

Last last question.

I just received L-event in the mail today. Where/how should I listen to it for the first time, for maximum extreme impact? Any suggestions?

on good headphones

track1: rollercoaster

track2: ghost train

track3: maze of mirrors

track4: beach

What are your opinions on the use of fractal formulas for generating beats or melodies?

Any particular favorite types for particular applications? (i.e. L-Systems for melodies... Mandelbeats...etc)

Just bumping this one, in case it wasn't previously answered in the last 150ish pages.

Additionally: thank you guys so much for doing this. It absolutely blows my mind that you've put so much time and effort into this.

i prefer moire effects in music more than fractal - in aesthetic ways anyway - tv transmissions recorded off tv with video etc… fences phasing each other on motorways so on, its a bit more wild but simpler too, and is more like things i find IRL on larger scales. i know theres loads of args to shut me up there, but mbe we o'd d on fractals as a generation.

really like L-systems for graf/ix, tho'

totally ok, thanks

Edited by Rob Ae

Last last question.

I just received L-event in the mail today. Where/how should I listen to it for the first time, for maximum extreme impact? Any suggestions?

on good headphones

I second that - L-Event is soo much more detailed when it's right in your ears... newbound!

this has been great cheers.

listening to that stephen malinder album, really nice

i guess one last question:

can you name my phone? couldnt resist

Guest Retosik

1. describe acroyear2 :D

2. will you allow me to take a photo with you on your next tour if we meet? :D thank you for aaa!

Last last question.

on good headphones

Those four locations should be pretty easy to locate. thanks (again again)

this has been great cheers.

listening to that stephen malinder album, really nice

i guess one last question:

can you name my phone? couldnt resist

your phone is now called archibald

The naming thing has been hilarious - every time it was like "oh, here's another naming request, they'll get pissed off man, bwahaha lol with the response"

Can you rename Earth? PLS

Also, do I really see an 'S' in Etchogon-S on the vector scope?

Do you guys often create with headphones in mind? How do you usually approach the stereo spectrum?

bit of both really, i mostly work on speakers but i listen back to stuff on headphones a lot

working on live stuff is better on headphones generally

and laptops + headphones is pretty common too for working while mobile etc

1. describe acroyear2 :D

2. will you allow me to take a photo with you on your next tour if we meet? :D thank you for aaa!

1. his arms and legs fall off regularly

2. probably

Thanks for your time guys. Really appreciate it,

Please get back to Melbourne, Australia soon. 94 then 2010 was waaaaayyy toooo looong.

Also please get that live archive out on a DVD so we can enjoy even more of your sounds!