IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I love how Lcc develops into a beautiful melody after sounding harsh for a few minutes. it happens in 6IE.CR too. is their a particular reason for it other than it be fucking cool? i interpret it as beauty from chaos.

i see that LCC transition as a bit like a dream where you drive off a cliff and find yourself flying

are you playing any video games or old video games?

lately just dodonpachi on my phone

Do you play/prefer Resurrection or MAXIMUM? Resurrection is great, but MAX has that cool minimal graphics vibe going on (if you can even use the word 'minimal' while describing a CAVE shooter!)

not tried max, i'm playing R

will check it, sounds good

Nice suprise :emotawesomepm9: No questions from me but awesome reading.

I suppose I could ask what you're favorite beers are, but that just seems embarrassing and a bit dumb.

Autechre!!!!

not fucking stella

it's always on riders and we always roll eyes when we see it, but we end up drinking it again

and getting that headache

Hello Autechre!

Just wanna to ask, is there any meaning or purpose behind track title, like, Osla for n? And how should I say L Event, like event "L", or something different?

Thanks for the answer!

i can't get into specifics really regarding titles

you can say things however you like

why does Exai sound like it made using an Analog Four?

Do you think Ben of zoviet france lost the dats and/or messed up the recording and just doesn't want to tell you?

Why was your Dalglish remix never officially released?

i got no idea, i never owned one

but i take it as a compliment cos it means you're hearing some of our dsp progging as analogue (which was the intention)

yeah maybe, or he just doesn't want us to have it, or he doesn't like it or whatever

no idea, ask chris

I asked him about that remix a couple of years ago, to add to the discussion. He told the guy behind Mesk label will not get it together and it's healthier for Chris to not have anything to do with him.

You stuck (finely placed lol) in a death metal track into your brilliant FACTmix.

I've always been a bit fascinated if you, (Aphex, BOC and Squarepusher as well!) like metal and if you did what were you're favorites. You're love for hip-hop is pretty obvious but metal/alternative guitar music less so. Do you get up on a Sunday morning and play Reign in Blood at 11?

So maybe you could give us your thoughts?

Regards,

Beerwolf

omg this wasn't a draem! sup autechre!!!!

what do you think about flying lotus his music? imo i think he's great and has a lot of talent he uses well

why didn't he ask you for a track for gtaV that would have been awesome

i really like the track he did with earl

hoping he does more straight up hip hop stuff tbh, he's good at it

1. do you still make tracks like amber and the video of you guys live in sheffield? you look at each other and say "time for a dance off" and bang out a wicked club track.

2. i plan on getting a english mastiff one day, it will be as majestic and mournful as the one in the attached image, will you name my future english mastiff?

3. luv u guys :wub:

edit:
4. Do you guys like the smiths? favorite track?

post-662-0-73112000-1383488323_thumb.jpg

Edited by funkaholic

I love how Lcc develops into a beautiful melody after sounding harsh for a few minutes. it happens in 6IE.CR too. is their a particular reason for it other than it be fucking cool? i interpret it as beauty from chaos.

i see that LCC transition as a bit like a dream where you drive off a cliff and find yourself flying

are you playing any video games or old video games?

lately just dodonpachi on my phone

Do you play/prefer Resurrection or MAXIMUM? Resurrection is great, but MAX has that cool minimal graphics vibe going on (if you can even use the word 'minimal' while describing a CAVE shooter!)

not tried max, i'm playing R

will check it, sounds good

Nice suprise :emotawesomepm9: No questions from me but awesome reading.

I suppose I could ask what you're favorite beers are, but that just seems embarrassing and a bit dumb.

Autechre!!!!

not fucking stella

it's always on riders and we always roll eyes when we see it, but we end up drinking it again

and getting that headache

fucking lol,

ive walked into pubs and the landlord has just looked at me and said 'sorry mate we don't sell stella Sir'.....Like I have a 'I Drink Fucking Stella And Nothing Else Mate' look.

heheh

In terms of music, do you think that hardware manufacturers and/or software devs are charting a path of diminishing returns? By making the process of creating music arguably 'easier' and more accessible, is music in danger of becoming less experimental, compared to the past where experimentation was perhaps led by hardware/software limitations?

And seeing how this has become a (very WATMM) thing: please could you name my MPC1000? it has JJOS installed, if that helps :emotawesomepm9:

i think the main problem is really people being blinded by options and having to compare everything, so like, someone wants a compressor, they try out every single one and then pick one that suits their needs. which is all cool etc but there's that thing missing where back in the day they'd have been more limited and would just have plumped for one of them and then later maybe found some quirk or weird way to exploit it. it's not so much about the limitations of the actual gear itself, more about the way the market forces behaviour.

your mpc1000 is now called 808

what was the hardest track you made, like when you afterwards say: that was impossibru but we fucking did it!

errr

probably an early one cos they used to take fucking ages

something like destroyer (but you probably never heard that unless you were an IBC listener, it's unreleased)

edit: actually destroyer is on that bojangles youtube

Edited by Sean Ae

you have been a musician/artist for more then 20 years, every release you made was an improvement, i don't even think frank zappa did that and yet you don't get all the praise (and money) it deserves in the world. does it bother you or are you punks in the heart??

it's kind of inevitable, the industry prizes youth

but yeah of course we're basically b-boys, very close to punk ideologically

Did you ever have very little sleep (Like what RDJ said he used to do)?

Did you ever heard Caustic Window LP (Cat023)? If so; How it was?

I forget to say this yesterday but, this is so cool of you to talk with us! Thanks!

yeah sometimes i work with next to no sleep

rae was made in that kind of warm fuzzy state

yeah i like almost everything richard's done

re quadrange, we'd been wanting to do something with variant mixes for a while, in some part due to having a wealth of Eps and extra B sides from artists like Depeche Mode in the past - some of their deepest tracks were unique alternative mixes nothing like the singles or LP versions, and they came across as more intense or over produced even, it was a really nice way to feel what they were doing behind the usual framework they set out in the mainstream…..like a real treat.

Those early 90s DM mixes were my gateway drug to electronic music I suppose...they sent me off on quite a few different musical paths.

It wasn't long after those that I heard your Skin Up You're Already Dead remix of St Etienne...what a heid-burster that was...I still play it a lot now, 19 years on.

So, I guess this is probably like having to choose between your offspring, or whether you prefer June to July, but do either of you have a favourite remix/reworking you've done?

for me it's probably the buck tick remix, an enduring favourite

you have been a musician/artist for more then 20 years, every release you made was an improvement, i don't even think frank zappa did that and yet you don't get all the praise (and money) it deserves in the world. does it bother you or are you punks in the heart??

it's kind of inevitable, the industry prizes youth

but yeah of course we're basically b-boys, very close to punk ideologically

YES!!!

bm9.jpg

I want to ask about Garbagemx36, seeing as it's my favorite Ae track. Any stories regarding that particular track? I can't believe it came from the Amber era, it's seems fresher

i have been lucky enough to see you live quite a few times. i first saw you at warp 10 and new nothing of you work but have been buying your martial and going to gigs ever since.

my question is. would you ever consider playing a classic set or sets you did using the old gear you used?

also any chance your playing glastonbury?

thanks for taking the time to chat on hear and answer some questions.

i have to say the last few years of your live sets have been amazing and some of the best live music i have seen to date.

thanks

Guest northernplastic

Hey Sean, do you frequent other music-themed internet sites? The ones with, uh, hilarious inside jokes, anonymity and stuff.

FkXpi.jpg

Edited by northernplastic

Is the Ae ident music part of a longer unreleased piece or was it specifically made for the DVD ?

i.e. this one -

Plus mentioning Shane Carruth yesterday, I've always thought how similar his film titles/logos are to this, merely a typeface coincidence or was it the same graphics designer?

primer2.jpg

we actually did the design on those releases, and it wasn't us making shane's titles

the id for the gg dvd was custom written around alex's animation

I'd just like to say to you Sean and Rob how good you are towards your fans. Even though you operate fairly off the radar, I think Autechre fans appreciate your attitude towards them. It's a good vibe. Cheers :beer:

I'd just like to say to you Sean and Rob how good you are towards your fans. Even though you operate fairly off the radar, I think Autechre fans appreciate your attitude towards them. It's a good vibe. Cheers :beer:

yes thank you so much

Do you travel a lot? What are you favorite destinations?

Sean, you mentioned before that you like Germany, what do you like about it in particular? Have you been to Bad Vilbel?

Oh and could you name my backpack please? It's an Arcteryx Bora one in case that matters.

You're so good at naming things.

never been to bad vilbel but it's twinned with glossop which lies on the manchester end of the A57, or snake pass as it's known locally (the road that goes from manchester to sheffield)

your arcteryx bora is now called graham

- Sean or Rob, my machinedrum is on the verge of gaining sentience. Could you give it a name?

- I wonder what the design process was like for the Exai album artwork. Did you approach tDR with a loose concept or a few key references? Or do you let him generate a few concepts interpreting what he hears in the music?

is your approach different when you do an autechre album track and if you do an remix...of course it is different that you have source material to work from...but from that point on...does it make a difference to you?

yeah fully

if the source is such that we need to change loads of things to get something that we like out of it then it ends up being more like an ae track then it would otherwise, and sometimes we like it too much to want to change much at all, in which case it's more like pruning and adjusting things than like making a track or whatever

all depends on the source and how we react to it