IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

This next one is for Sean's eyes only. So please Rob, avert your eyes. Respect our privacy:

Phew, ok. Now that Rob's out of the way, I can't hurt his feelings. He named my acoustic guitar Rifdent Stroakes. It's not bad, but it's too obvious a reference to Diff'rent Strokes. Not dissociative enough. I was thinking what name you would give my dusty old acoustic guitar that I haven't touched in years? Maybe I'll mash those names together. Don't tell Rob, he might think I'm a jerk :'(

Also Rob gave a great review for this. Would you mind?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I made a tune back in 2006 which another user on here recently made a video for (Triachus) and I was wondering if you guys would mind providing a critique, maybe a short review that I can use on the EP cover when it inevitably gets a vinyl release?

Hi Rob. I'm kidding about the whole Sean Eyes Only thing of course. Please don't hurt me.

hey u jerk,

yeah ok np

Saw you mentioned some drummer tastes a few pages back.

Tony Royster Jr. is one of the bright up & comers imo right now. This kid can kill it.

For your consumption. He has better cuts, but this one is brief & 2 the point.

edit: Thoughts on JoJo Mayer?

[youtubehd]5nC6-__vlUM[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gKve3TyC0Sk[/youtubehd]

not bad

the first one - i mean i prefer stuff with more subtle timing tbh, and not really into the sound of it much. its kind of impressive but some of them triplets were a bit unnecessary. i'm more into clyde stubblefield if that makes any sense

the second one i dunno its all a bit noodly for me really, I'm not really into jazz much

This next one is for Sean's eyes only. So please Rob, avert your eyes. Respect our privacy:

Phew, ok. Now that Rob's out of the way, I can't hurt his feelings. He named my acoustic guitar Rifdent Stroakes. It's not bad, but it's too obvious a reference to Diff'rent Strokes. Not dissociative enough. I was thinking what name you would give my dusty old acoustic guitar that I haven't touched in years? Maybe I'll mash those names together. Don't tell Rob, he might think I'm a jerk :'(

Also Rob gave a great review for this. Would you mind?

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I made a tune back in 2006 which another user on here recently made a video for (Triachus) and I was wondering if you guys would mind providing a critique, maybe a short review that I can use on the EP cover when it inevitably gets a vinyl release?

Hi Rob. I'm kidding about the whole Sean Eyes Only thing of course. Please don't hurt me.

this work is a tour-de-force of modern filmmaking. haunting abstract symbolism. puts me in mind of "winter of my despondency" by olof svensson

your guitar is now called 'squarepusher'

go lad, thats my boy.

How many of these are true about Draft7.30, or has some internetter gone nuts -

Xylin Room: Originally titled "Benk Chin"

IV VV IV VV VIII: Originally titled "nwnw8"

6IE.CR: Originally named "606.ie"

TAPR: Originally named "reppat"

Theme of Sudden Roundabout: Originally titled "Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth"

VL AL 5: Originally titled "Vlimpton Alpha 5"

P.:NTIL: Originally titled "Foam Conduit".

v-proc: Originally titled "uprock"

reniform puls: Originally titled "kidney bean"

'Prince Moth Mothy Moth Moth' is a flipping incredible name for a track !

iirc it was actually 'Prince Moth Mothy Moth Mother' not as in yr mum, but as someone who does moths

Saw you mentioned some drummer tastes a few pages back.

Tony Royster Jr. is one of the bright up & comers imo right now. This kid can kill it.

For your consumption. He has better cuts, but this one is brief & 2 the point.

edit: Thoughts on JoJo Mayer?

[youtubehd]5nC6-__vlUM[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gKve3TyC0Sk[/youtubehd]

not bad

the first one - i mean i prefer stuff with more subtle timing tbh, and not really into the sound of it much. its kind of impressive but some of them triplets were a bit unnecessary. i'm more into clyde stubblefield if that makes any sense

the second one i dunno its all a bit noodly for me really, I'm not really into jazz much

Well of course Clyde. James brown had a gun to his head half the time. If you weren't in the pocket you were out. Naw what i mean.

I feel you on Royster, he's a son of hiphop more so than crazy poly rhythms. That vid isn't his best, but for his age, he's gonna be something special I think.

I have to think you're into Bozzio to some degree.

what do you guys think of bochum welt's music? have you checked out his latest release (good programs)?

also - are you guys making plans to play live soon? perhaps gigs in 2014? would you consider playing in the East of England on your next tour? For example, the Norwich Arts Centre (where Plaid have done several gigs - nice intimate space with decent sound system) would be an excellent place for you guys. Don't forget about your fans in the East!

bochum welt is alright but he's a bit like a happy shopper version of afx, i mean i like it quite a lot but i keep thinking 'is this richard? nah' which gets in the way a bit

we have fans in the east? i lived there like 5 years and i didn't meet one

What is your favorite/most memorable "happy accident" moment in the studio?

It's been said Sean recorded numbers stations samples, specifically the samples heard in Gyroscope by Boards of Canada. Do you often record radio transmissions or participate in shortwave radio as a hobby, or was that just a small part of your general interest in field recording?

As producers who have used notably incorporated field recording into their productions, any recommendations of gear or general methods when it comes to field recording? Especially for someone starting off with a smaller budget?

what do you guys think of bochum welt's music? have you checked out his latest release (good programs)?

also - are you guys making plans to play live soon? perhaps gigs in 2014? would you consider playing in the East of England on your next tour? For example, the Norwich Arts Centre (where Plaid have done several gigs - nice intimate space with decent sound system) would be an excellent place for you guys. Don't forget about your fans in the East!

feelings on a screen and asteroids over berlin are the finest of tunes. not heard newest stuff

bochum welt is alright but he's a bit like a happy shopper version of afx, i mean i like it quite a lot but i keep thinking 'is this richard? nah' which gets in the way a bit

lol - well, when Plaid play in Norwich, they have a pretty big attendance - and arguably you guys are more popular than them so I figured that you'd have no trouble selling quite a few tickets. Your previous tours haven't touched the East in recent years but bearing in mind the Norwich Arts Centre promotion team is part of the University of East Anglia, you'll get a large attendance I'm sure.

I saw you guys in Brighton during the Oversteps tour but had to drive from Ipswich to Brighton! Awesome set though - it was worth it.

feelings on a screen and asteroids over berlin are the finest of tunes. not heard newest stuff

lush (new stuff):

Hi there!

I am part of a musical collective that have met monthly for five+ years. Each time dinner is shared and each participants musical (well, more or less) contribution is presented and scrutinised according to a 'dogm'.

The dogm could be like... Make music for this one minute mov clip or use 1 sec sampled voices only or FM synthesis. Often constraints.

My question: since we have passed dogma no 55 we now sometimes have problems finding a new and inspiring dogm.

What would you find to be an interesting dogm to force you out of your comfort zone?

have you tried 'only ceramics' , thats a material I've always liked for many reasons

I feel you on Royster, he's a son of hiphop more so than crazy poly rhythms. That vid isn't his best, but for his age, he's gonna be something special I think.

Royster is already nearing 30 and been involved with a number of acts, big and small. Surely you must have seen the video of him as 11-year old ripping it up.

Last night the washing machine was making the overhead vent in the kitchen rattle and it was laying out this really cool randomly generated beat. Do you guys ever get ideas for beats or whatever from stupid random things like that? Any of them make it into tracks?

Dope you’re doing this guys, thanks

Long time fan here, since listening to incunabula on a long drive to wales in 94 (my brother, who was driving as I was only 14 at the time, picked it up from Phunk Chunk records in Ipswich), and like most on here I've continued to be blown away on each release.

Do you have any memories of playing at the Golden Lion pub in Ipswich in 95, with freeform? I still have second bad vilbel ringing my ears from that night, a real life changer for me.

I’m not asking you to name my stuff or any future children (ffs) but I’d like to know how you guys feel about the relationship between your work and space/architecture/ infrastructure.

I’m an artist making sculptural installations and work with the environment of gallery spaces all the time, I find your work extremely sculptural and each album seems to compliment a specific environment or space in a unique way, its like each album is a kind of exhibition in my mind, very weighty, very visual.

Not sure how to make this sound clear or how to ask a direct question but simply I wonder if it’s something you consider an important element of your work? Either through the construction of an individual track or when compiling tracks for an album.

Are you interested in artificial intelligence in the realistic sense? Do you think machines can become conscious, if not very intelligent? It seems to me we are well on the way to machines learning pattern recognition and becoming smart. Check out "Qualcomm Zeroth", a neural processor. It actually doesn't have a von neumann architecture. It learns by feeding it info and it did image recognition without being programmed to do so. I wonder if in a few decades we'll have convincing robots etc.

Edited by coax

in your experience should you meet your heroes? is anyone you ever really wanted to cross paths with?

you spoke years ago about wanting to do a kraftwerk remix/collab, might this ever occur?

It's been said Sean recorded numbers stations samples, specifically the samples heard in Gyroscope by Boards of Canada. Do you often record radio transmissions or participate in shortwave radio as a hobby, or was that just a small part of your general interest in field recording?

As producers who have used notably incorporated field recording into their productions, any recommendations of gear or general methods when it comes to field recording? Especially for someone starting off with a smaller budget?

tbh we don't have much gear specific to recording outside. nothing fancy or expensive either. mbe try using really small scale stuff like micro setups and use cheap mics very close. change scale (perception of size) of it back in the studio.

lol - well, when Plaid play in Norwich, they have a pretty big attendance - and arguably you guys are more popular than them so I figured that you'd have no trouble selling quite a few tickets. Your previous tours haven't touched the East in recent years but bearing in mind the Norwich Arts Centre promotion team is part of the University of East Anglia, you'll get a large attendance I'm sure.

I saw you guys in Brighton during the Oversteps tour but had to drive from Ipswich to Brighton! Awesome set though - it was worth it.

lush (new stuff):

i like that

Royster is already nearing 30 and been involved with a number of acts, big and small. Surely you must have seen the video of him as 11-year old ripping it up.

Damn, didn't think he was that old. Time flies I gather.

Yes, I have seen. I quite enjoy him.

while eating the prawns in tokyo, did u imagine the bladerunner. was it raining?

can u name one detail that comes to mind, that u might not have otherwise noticed if u had not been walking?

have u ever mashed yr finger or something into the plug socket? maybe as a child?

could either of u plees name a noteworthy experience u had as a child? good or bad

could u plees name a piece of music that is nostalgic for u, maybe a nursery rhyme or anything really that has lodged itself in yr memory more dominantly then others? u could name several if u prefer.

while mining for vinyl plates tapes and digital discs in the shops, what r several great finds u can think of which gave u the warm fuzzy feelings and the big grinny face?

plees name some of yr favourite insects?

do either of u have any tremendous phobias that ud care to mention or u feel comfortable in describing?

did u gather up the wild mushrooms john cage style?

what is something u enjoy more then other things when walking along the sea coast?

would u name the piece of clothing that u have kept the longest. is it showing extreme wear?

what is the outgoing message on yr voicemail or answering service? yr ring tone?

which do u prefer slightly more maybe, the time in the evening with the delicate light and soft sounds and feelings or do u enjoy the morning with its unique characteristics?

what is the longest uv ever been away traveling from home for adventure or tours or whichever?

what's for lunch today?

what music r u listening to at this exact moment?

if u could play live shows with hip-hop producers, who would u most like to play alongside, past or present?

what is the most distant location in the world u have thrown-up (graffiti) artworks on the street?

describe noteworthy (graffiti) artworks u have seen on the street and maybe describe their location?

strangest music u have heard in passing? like u just walked into a room or came upon it in the street or whatever. describe it?

strange thing u have eaten?

tbh we don't have much gear specific to recording outside. nothing fancy or expensive either. mbe try using really small scale stuff like micro setups and use cheap mics very close. change scale (perception of size) of it back in the studio.

yeah this

don't get bogged down getting the right mics or anything, just get stuck in with whatever you have to hand. use headphones while you record

Last night the washing machine was making the overhead vent in the kitchen rattle and it was laying out this really cool randomly generated beat. Do you guys ever get ideas for beats or whatever from stupid random things like that? Any of them make it into tracks?

probably would just try to record it as it is, sometimes things like that can be so arbitrary timing wise to remember discrete patterns