IGNORED

Death Grips - Government Plates

Nebraska

I need a Death Grips instruction manual. :shrug:

being familiar with zach hill would help, he has his own style, he's a phenomenal drummer with great compositional and production skills. hella and his solo albums are all great. my take on death grips is he wanted to maximize the aggression and intensity of his music, and he made it rap, too.
I didn't know hella prior to death grips, just heard of them.

I definitely don't find them a necessity to appreciate death grips.

IMO, death grips is "better"... By far.

They are 2 wildly different animals. About as different as 2 bands that share one member can be.

Having said that:

I've loved everything they've put out until now.

They are dark and raw with massive beats, baby-killing bass and punk as fuck, passionately poetic, nihilistic and destructive attitudes.

I haven't finished listening to all of the new stuff, yet, but there's a lot of nonsense in this LP. Way more junk than on anything prior. Actually, I can't say I recall being aware of any nonsense on earlier releases, whatsoever.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what do you mean nonsense? in the lyrics? I haven't listened to this album properly yet

I meant musically. Again, I need to sit with it longer, as well, but there were a couple of songs I heard that were kinda throwaways. No real beat or drive.

Anne Bonny is great tho.

This is an absolute beast of an album.

However, listening back through it now, I have to agree with Roo that there are a few throwaways on here. Feels Like a Wheel, Big House and the title track all feel quite underdeveloped and a bit pointless.

Two Heavens has to be one of the most interesting tracks I've ever heard. The structure of that one is nuts, tons of interesting production packed into it. Starts out sounding like some gorgeous blend of Oval and Africa Hitech, then as Burnett comes in that repeating low tone starts like a warning siren. I can't help but hear some sort of emergency public service announcement alongside it.

"I'm on my way UP"

I'm asking a serious question and this isn't loaded at all, but is there something I'm missing? This seems 99% schtick, kind of like die antwoord.... =/

nope. i don't see this as a joke. actually, i see it more as a statement. it's kinda like they're doing the exact opposite of what conventional mainstream music makers would do when making music. they have a very "everything can, should and will work" aesthetic as far as what can be sampled, how it can be sampled and how it's presented. i think this was the whole point of getting a label deal and breaking out of it- to show it can be done and would be feasible to do.

gmanyo said they sound too electronic now. i gotta say, i don't mind that as i think it's all about pushing past whatever expectations one had about the group. i still think facetat is zach hill's best work, but i also love how death grip's sound is progressing towards a more unpredictable sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDx0m7fmNo

btw: another thing i like about their presentation is how this album came totally out of the blue- with no press kit or hype. like it was out of defiance for all the people doing listening parties or releasing "1 song a day until the album comes out" type stunts.

just today, in the trades, there was an article how labels are considering changing how they fed albums down people's throats, because the tactic they use right now is no longer proving to be profitable. to me, death grips seem to be saying "the only model that works is no model. just music"

Totally. I was initially referring to "birds" as being a throwaway. After another listen, I think I was wrong. It was just over my head.

These guys are really pushing the envelope.

I wish there were more bands like them.

Btw, I was thinking about the "free album" model they've employed as a business strategy. I guess if people steal it anyway, why not make it free?

Besides touring how else do they make money? Some touring and vinyl releases. Do they have ads on their YouTube vids?

The first song is fucking fantastic. The rambling starting around 45 seconds is probably my favorite thing from the album atm. Also the delay on his vocals for the short, repeated line is absolutely perfect, as are the high-pitched black metal-like screams.

Guest viscosity

this is how you drop an album. incredible, I really need to print some of these songs out.. seeing them reference Dylan. so far I've just been absorbing the aggressive dynamics, appreciating the off-kilter, raw compositions. love their sample work.. and the drums..love just about everything about it

I miss old Death Grips like Exmilitary and The Money Store. The last two albums feel like they dont give a shit anymore

Them not giving a shit sounds better than most bands out there.

Ps

I love that a Death Grips new release warrants a thread in Music D. It's usually too big of a story for New/Upcoming Releases to handle.

I'm asking a serious question and this isn't loaded at all, but is there something I'm missing? This seems 99% schtick, kind of like die antwoord.... =/

nope. i don't see this as a joke. actually, i see it more as a statement. it's kinda like they're doing the exact opposite of what conventional mainstream music makers would do when making music. they have a very "everything can, should and will work" aesthetic as far as what can be sampled, how it can be sampled and how it's presented. i think this was the whole point of getting a label deal and breaking out of it- to show it can be done and would be feasible to do.

gmanyo said they sound too electronic now. i gotta say, i don't mind that as i think it's all about pushing past whatever expectations one had about the group. i still think facetat is zach hill's best work, but i also love how death grip's sound is progressing towards a more unpredictable sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sDx0m7fmNo

Interesting! Thanks for your input. I see what you're saying too...

i still think facetat is zach hill's best work, but i also love how death grip's sound is progressing towards a more unpredictable sound.

Fuck yeah, Facetat is exceptional. Quite possibly one of my top 5 releases of the past decade.

Oh man I can't wait to hear this. Loved everything they've done so far, and that song/vid at the top of this thread is like rapid cycling manic depression. I'm in.

Archived