IGNORED

WATMM - Free Advice Thread

Rubin Farr

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Devote life to martial arts to train mind+body connection and expand consciousness through body mechanics aesthetics.

Become still like nothing and explode like now.

• 1 month later...
Guest jasondonervan

My dear old Dad's laptop is older than time itself, it pains me to watch him use it - all he uses it for is web, email and photo management, so I'm looking at buying him a Chromebook - for the photos I'd also have to get him an external USB drive, but that's far simpler than me being on phone support for any cloud-related mishaps that may occur. Bearing in mind he's not going to be playing Dark Souls II on this laptop anytime soon, he doesn't need some overpriced Alienware monstrosity (an exaggeration, but you get the idea).

I like the look of the Dell Chromebook 11, 4GB model is £199, seems like a nice build quality for the money, has a couple of USB ports for his mouse and printer, SD card reader for the camera pics, etc. and reviews favourably.

Do you reckon that's a good shout, or is it worth looking into something Windows-based? I'm in no doubt he can make the switch to Chrome OS (he uses the browser already), and the majority of Windows is nowt but bloat for him...

Hope resurrecting this thread can provide some assistance! Ta.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't work an overnight shift ever, under any circumstances. But if you must, smoke as much weed as humanly possible to mitigate any stressors.

I don't work those hours anymore and have slowly become rehabilitated to normal society. But I can't say it was 100% worth it, even if the job itself gave me some interesting opportunities. It's more like "worth it" with an asterisk and some serious footnotes. I just don't know, glad it's over. 

Don't work an overnight shift ever, under any circumstances. But if you must, smoke as much weed as humanly possible to mitigate any stressors.

I don't work those hours anymore and have slowly become rehabilitated to normal society. But I can't say it was 100% worth it, even if the job itself gave me some interesting opportunities. It's more like "worth it" with an asterisk and some serious footnotes. I just don't know, glad it's over. 

Free bad advice: You probably can operate heavy equipment safely while stoned. This last few weeks I've been around (not strictly in a supervisory role fortunately) the odd nightshift with roughnecks who are blazed up to the eyeholes while driving morookas and dozers round frozen swamps. They've actually been doing all their shit completely fine with no cock-ups

Archived