IGNORED

WATMM - Free Advice Thread

Rubin Farr

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never think about those less unfortunate than you, it will make you feel unhappy.

Dont worry about global warming or the environment, you might be dead before the really bad effects happen.

Ignore the homeless and don't give them money, they will spend it on booze and drugs.

Don't worry about recycling, you're not going to make a difference.

Try not to think about how pointless and meaningless your life is, instead, play a video game or watch something on Youtube to stop you from thinking about negative thoughts.

these are actually quite apt expressions of what a lot of people implicitly believe.

Imagine what you want to be, and then work towards becoming it. And I mean imagine ANYTHING you want to be. Literally. If you want to be a unicorn, seriously spend all your efforts in becoming a horse with a horn and possible magical properties. Because there is no point in spending effort towards a life you don't want to live. So be very sincere with yourself and imagine what you want to become. Think and feeel for weeks on this, and be very honest with yourself. Once you FEEL you would be most happy with the context and self you have created, work towards making such a life your reality.

On the path towards becoming this dreamlike being, new paths and seemingly unrelated experiences will open up for you, but this is not a deviation from the goal. Because the true goal is to find yourself, and with every new path that comes your way that you choose to embrace, you will be refining what you ultimately feel is you. The important thing is to be SINCERE WITH THE SELF, and you will always be on the right path towards your true self. At this true self, you will be most happy and content with life, and due to not living lies, the people and places you surround yourself with will be most in-tune to the essence of your being.

In contrast, the common way of living is to live by the standards of others and loose ideas about what we think we need to be, for one reason or another. When living a life that is not in-tune with the true self, it is no mystery why such persons are surrounded with places and people they don't like-- if you live a path fueled by what you don't like, you will end up in contexts you don't like. I've talked with many people about their dream job/life, and most state something other than what they are presently doing. For example, those who want to be artists might have fear of not making money or being too old, etc., but these fears are based on other standards- they are not based on the standards of the ideal dream. By defining your life and realizing who you truly are, you also define context, so there is none of this bullshit about being a musician but having to be poor, etc.

Only by living sincerely can we ever find our true selves and be Happy. So while that one random person who quit their job to pursue art might not become an artist, they might not have to be. By pursuing what the heart truly desires, the lies and conditioning can be shed from the self. But the "false selves" can ONLY be shed by pursuing what one believes to be the truest. It's a potentially harsh journey (i.e. we sometimes have to touch the boiling water to realize it's fucking hot), but the end result is a context where you are living you, for you, and if you've actually made it quite far down the path, everyone will benefit from your presence. Because evil comes from insecurity, lack of self, fear, etc. By pursuing the true path, all this shit will be in the toilet where it belongs, and you can spend your days feeling the breeze and sunshine as 5 million orgasms into infinity.

"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."

Also, make sure you take time to do what you want. This is something I've found to be seriously difficult when balancing a high school schedule that involves around 3 hours of work every night with the things i want to do and explore in more depth. Music production, databending, mountain biking, writing, etc. I've started to see things more carefully - weighing the consequences with the personal rewards. Don't let yourself be swayed by "oh I have to do it because it's whats expected of me." Fuck expectation, develop however you like. If you have to miss a deadline because you felt a sudden inspiration to learn the basics of Pure Data then good for you. Just make sure what you are doing is productive.

Archived