IGNORED

Outsider Music You've Found

gmanyo

• 4 months later...

That is glorious. I hope to play that for someone who is super high someday.

There's actually a little synth jam around 32:30 that is pretty bangin.

Edited by A/D

• 2 months later...

Maybe not totally outsider realy but hes got a fuck load of releases. some of them repeating songs. There are a lot of other amateur rappers that could fiit into this category tho i think

[youtubehd]MgjikCwge_E[/youtubehd]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Deco Balcony

Can't believe I hadn't heard this before!.. Christopher Lee doing symphonic metal (covering christmas songs)

[youtubehd]watch?v=gVzOve8T39w[/youtubehd]

• 6 years later...
On 2/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, no part of it said:

Might be a little too well known, but they guy didn't know anything about music, yet he worked with people (sometimes putting  a shotgun in their face) to get some hits.   I wrote an article about Joe Meek... 

https://vocal.media/beat/joe-meek-and-the-day-the-music-died-among-other-things

That was a great read. Well done, and thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm a fan of Glade Swope, been following for years:

I'm far from the one who found him, but Nicodemus/St. Nic of Detroit was amazing.  I've managed to get hold of 3 or 4 of his LPs over the years but he has a pretty deep catalog. A friend and I were talking about seeing if we could drive out and meet him the year before he died, I wish we'd done it.

I've got a decent stash of private press lounge records that have never made it to the Internet, at some point a friend and I are going to put out a mix tape and when we finally do I'll post some tracks here.  My favorite is a full lounge set recorded from the audience in a bowling alley in New Hampshire in 1976:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12490725-Chuck-Lana-Sings-Up-A-Storm

I've also got a double LP audience recording (with a hand made sleeve, probably made 100 of them for students and family) of the senior concert at a small private high school, also in NH, sometime in the 70s that's notable because it has two originals by the music director in a kind of Curtis Mayfield style.

Oh, and the Gloucester Public Schools Electronic Music Lab record is incredible. Musique Concrete made by middle and high school students in 1972 (despite the 1973 release date on the listing and the dates on the Youtube videos, I'm fairly certain it was '72). Got my copy in Gloucester for $7 back in the late 90s.

Everything pressed by RPC is worth checking out, really.

Edited by TubularCorporation

I'll try to get 8 Songs of Squid (a weird drug-punk self released cassette I bought when I was a kid, on the street in front of Notre Dame Cathederal in 1995 from the main songwriter/singer/electric dulcimer player, even though I think he's actually an NYC native. The other members play an electric canoe paddle and an electric ping pong paddle and they sing songs about heroin, sex, apathy and fake anarchists ruining the scene - it's really good).  I've got it on an external hard drive but I need to scan the cover and the blurry photo of him I took right before I bought it and only found again a couple weeks ago.  I'll see if I can get that onto archive.org later this week.

Sorry to flood the thread, but this has been my favorite sort of music since I was 10 or 11.  I think it kind of turned into an "if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you" scenario, though, I've been listening to so much of this sort of stuff for so long I kind of turned in to one of them. I blame Dr. Demento.

Anyhow, WATMM exclusive I just uploaded: a white rastafarian band of questionable talent recorded on a boom box in their practice space in I think 1998, maybe '97.  First gen dub from the original that I borrowed from the singer who worked with me at a grocery store.  The trombone is what makes it. Check out tracks #6 and #2.  These people were in their 20s, keep that in mind.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not exactly outsider, but this channel has a short album woth of half-decent, oldschool-academic style synth music:

https://www.youtube.com/@corticallarvae1067/videos

What makes it worth sharing is that I found it through a comment where they mention being in the reformed Process Church of the Final Judgement with totally-not-a-cult-leader Genesis P-Orrige in the 90s. So if you're interested in music that comes out of cults like I am, that's two in one!

EDITE: it's possuible that they meant some other Genesis who had ties to the Process Church and underground electronic music, but that would be a bit of a coincidence (especially since Genesis P-Orridge is one of the interview subjects in the documentary the comment was posted on).