IGNORED

Jupiter Ascending

Rubin Farr

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

Presumably because no-one cares about this film, amirite?

No-one cares.

I was about ready to jump in and say 'I dunno the trailer looked kind of promising' and then I realised I was thinking about the Christopher Nolan movie and that this is the Wachowskis new movie and lol no I don't care about this film.

• 3 months later...

trailer

the problem with movies like this is how do they explain evolution and the fact that we share similar dna with like 99.9% of the organisms on this planet. the same problem came up in prometheus.

they don't. they set up a bunch of shots in what they call "the first part" then promise to explain everything in "the second part" which won't really make sense, thus setting themselves up for "the third part of the trilogy" which will (supposedly) all give sense to the story, but instead will just be an employment of deus-ex-machina.

at this point you will be more stupid and will have already invested in their film and they will be that much richer and you will be left a little more broke and the chance to buy another set of dvds to add to your collection of things

So no Burial in trailers, what an ungrateful asshole, this Lana

even if she was flattered by the reference the EP was so horrendous that it made Juno Reactor's Matrix 2 score seem like an avant-garde masterpiece

Nothing's more horrendous than quasi-epic pseudo-orchestral soundtracks at this point of time.

So no Burial in trailers, what an ungrateful asshole, this Lana

even if she was flattered by the reference the EP was so horrendous that it made Juno Reactor's Matrix 2 score seem like an avant-garde masterpiece

Nothing's more horrendous than quasi-epic pseudo-orchestral soundtracks at this point of time.

amen

• 4 months later...

jupiter ascending had a "secret debut screening @ sundance and....

Despite the hype of a secret screening, clusters of seats inside the 300-person venue remained empty, and a handful of patrons walked out of the two-hour-plus space epic starring Mila Kunis as a princess and Channing Tatum as an intergalactic soldier tasked with rescuing her.

The Wachowskis’ flair was fully on display, with sequences reminiscent of “The Matrix” or “Star Wars.” But when the film ended, the usually gracious Sundance audience didn’t clap at the closing credits.

“I hated it,” said one of the festival’s volunteers, who asked not to be identified for fear of irking Sundance. “It’s just ridiculous.”

lol was supposed to see it on the 2nd... not sure now

she's just an average working class girl, but one day, a mysterious stranger arrives and tells her that the galaxy is in turmoil and that she is the one. only she can stop the evil bad guys who threaten the galaxy.

sounds like the plot to men in black 2, the matrix (just switch around a couple of descriptors), and amy pond from doctor who. probably the plot to some other sci-fi movies as well. such generic "empowering" trash.

she's just an average working class girl, but one day, a mysterious stranger arrives and tells her that the galaxy is in turmoil and that she is the one. only she can stop the evil bad guys who threaten the galaxy.

sounds like the plot to men in black 2, the matrix (just switch around a couple of descriptors), and amy pond from doctor who. probably the plot to some other sci-fi movies as well. such generic "empowering" trash.

well, it sounds like the basic premise of like every single fairy tale ever. it's "generic" but that doesn't mean it's inherently trash, the power is in the execution.

that being said lol this movie prolly sucks.

Saw a trailer for this when I went to see the Hobbit. Looks like a sci-fi/fantasy tale with more emphasis on the fantasy. Looks like the FX will be great and will hopefully see this in IMAX.

jupiter-ascending-channing-tatum-636-380

instead of serving as a lauchpad for big ideas, as their past pics have, “jupiter ascending” asks audiences to check their brains at the door and settle for candy-colored riffs on overplayed damsel-in-distress gimmicks...

and while it all looks quite stunning, the wachowskis really should have spent that extra six months on development, focusing on the script rather than the visuals. after this debacle, it will be a long time before the kind of recurrence where anyone trusts the duo with a budget anywhere near this scale again.

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/film-review-jupiter-ascending-1201421867/

was supposed to watch this yesterday but going tonight instead. should be fun joining other underwhelmed fans of science fiction get disappointed yet again by mediocre and uninspired capitalists in the guise of artistry

Archived