Guest LucidVibes

Guest LucidVibes

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone could help me for a sec... I am considering getting my self some hardware for making sounds/compositions/tracks etc... I'm thinking about picking up one of the following for Xmas (my budget is £100-£150 max):

Korg Volca Keys/Volca Bass/Korg MonoTribe/Kaossilator

...the first 3 are analog synths (at a pretty decent price, as other h/w synths I've seem to be significantly more expensive)... I'm not sure what to do because my main intention is to be able to make some deep pads/synths/atmospheres in my tracks but preferably with the organic analogue sound (which naturally would have decent FX). Does anyone have any of these mentioned hardware?

The Volca keys is tempting me, but it only has one wave form... so I'm not sure. If anyone has any advice or feedback on these synths or *any* other recommendations in general I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and praise

http://www.pearltrees.com/s/pic/or/flower-life-colour-47705095

Guest LucidVibes

http://www.castastone.com/Cast-a-Stone_files/misc_files/floweroflife.jpg Analogue *

Or put another way, what do you guys use to make deep ambient pads for your tracks? I have absynth 5, but really don't like that much at all because I find it horrible to customize. I have used a fair amount of soft synths which is why I think I would prefer analogue... I'm just not sure any more. *feeling a bit lost*

I'd say you could get some pretty nice ambient sounds out of the Keys, coupled with a nice reverb. I use mine with the reverb on a Behringer Virtualizer Pro, which is almost Quadraverb levels of awesomeness, and have managed to coax some rather SAW2-esque sounds out of it.

Also, while the main waveform on the Keys is a sawtooth, I think it actually switches to a square wave—or at least sounds a lot like one—in the ringmod modes.

I say this all though as someone who prefers really basic ambient sounds. If you want something more elaborate, you're probably better off getting a little more money together and going for one of the MS20 reissues or something.

Guest ACIDBAT

mc505 also has jv synth engine and is awsome for pads… not analog but still… but i think any keys with lots of reverb and some nice slow moving delays sounds great for ambiental goodness

Lush analog ambient pads for £100-150 is pretty much impossible these days. The closest thing is probably the volca keys. If you're lucky you could probably pick up a oberheim matrix 6R, a korg dw 6000, or a poly 800 second hand in that price range. The first two are pretty cool synths that can do interesting stuff, the poly 800 is ehm, it's ok for that price, you can get some decent sounds out if it, even though it's a bit digital sounding. Honestly for that kind of money you're better off looking at software if pads are your thing.

Edit: I've seen the alesis microns going for a song recently, they're virtual analog, so basically a vst in a keyboard, but they're very flexible and good sounding little things.

• 1 month later...
Guest LucidVibes

you're probably better off getting a little more money together and going for one of the MS20 reissues or something.

I just wanted to say, thanks! for that recommendation... modey... looks sweet! :) I checked it out and it looks amazing I am going to get it , some day... !!! I didn't get anything for xmas in the end, lol... am getting a crystal singing bowl instead of the volca keys, LoL. (yeah it's natural sound can do powerful things ;) BUT I deffo want to get that ms20 mini... :)

Don't underestimate digital synths, yo.

Hey man, I have been experimenting with Alchemy and Reaktor5, and waves plugins. I have lots of work to do still *lol*...

So, another question: How do you guys make ambient pads ? Please feel free to be as elaborate as you want with your answers. I look forward to reading your replies and being part of the discussion! Many thanks! :beer:

Edit: Oops, I guess Christmas is over nm.

...and don't be discouraged from replying just because xmas is over... life still goes on :biggrin:

I mean for pads you just want want slow(ish) attack and long sustain/decay. And then tweak the filter, LFO etc etc until you get the texture and modulation/'evolution' you want. Some people like bright distorted pads, some like soft warm pads with a touch of flange.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AsylumSeaker

Other things you can try are feedback loops, delays with high feedback, and time-stretched samples.

NI Razor does incredible pads, in my opinion, but they're highly precise and clean so that may not be what you're after if you're thinking analogue.

'Freeze' pedals look pretty interesting too:

http://youtu.be/uYgcSVrnR7o?t=6m53s

Archived