IGNORED

Npoess tracks

Npoess

I dig it. I still have a bunch of jungles 12"s from the mid/late 90s; I was super into this stuff back then. I think this track would fit right in. Really carefully produced, minimal, mixable. Second on the pads - nice pads w/good filters was one of the really great things about these tracks. Well done!

I'm gonna join the rest and praise the pads.

I wish it was a bit more varied, though. If I was you I would add something or just add some variations after the break.

Btw. you've added some noise/crackle to the track, right? If yes, then I would probably turn it down a notch and maybe do a roll off or something, because I thought there was something up with my speakers.

You mean vary the main melody more, right?

I know I should probably try that, it's basically the same melody throughout the whole track. The thing is that I suck at making melodies, but I will give it another shot.

Yeah, there's added vinyl crackle, obviously to add the vintage sound of it. But maybe it's a bit too much.

I'm glad you all like the pads, I kind of have a fetish for those 90's sounding DnB pads.

well i gotta be honest i don't like this at all... sounds like someone randomly picking different beat patterns in ejay or something, i'm sorry :( the pads are nice but the melodies they're playing don't do them no justice imo...

Pads sound good but I agree they could be more varied in the notes they play. Don't be so down on your melody ability, just try putting some other notes into the sequencer till something sounds good... in other words, experiment! The drums could prob use some more variation too. But I think you have a good foundation.. it sounds good but I'd like more stuff to happen with those elements. Just my opinion, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I pretty much agree with everyone here, except MJ. Though it's good to see people being honest. He also posts on like everything so.

ANYWAY. I like how it's a 90's jungle inspired track, so it's DnB+this chill and cozy thing. I was a kid in the 90s, but I've recently gotten into it. It's much more entertaining than the DnB of today for the most part. It feels less structured. The beats are more free. For some reason the samples don't feel cliched for the most part, though I've heard that sample you're using a lot. Is it saying 'Yeah'?

ANYWAY. I do think you need to downplay the vinyl sample a bit for reasons people have already stated.

The melody and stuff is fine. It's pretty chill, does its job. Everything fits together nicely in its current state. There is this feeling I have while listening to it that there is too much space left unfilled, like it has room for more.

Guest The Caustic Window

this brightened my day a bit. the melody is so nice and i felt like i was hearing some plug for a second this is a good start but keep at it cuz theres more room for improvement!

Guest brendyman

I enjoy how soft it sounds, it's really relaxing. However I was sort of hoping you'd make it explode at one point while still keeping that careful/fast and soft feeling, I'm sure you could do it no problem.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, means a lot. There's definitely a lot room for improvements. It is the first dnb I've tried to make, so I'm glad to hear it wasn't complete shit.

MJ: fair enough, but I have spent a lot of time on this track, so saying it is something I've made in Ejay feels slightly harsh maybe. But appreciate your honesty nonetheless :happy:

I've tried to make couple of more track (non-dnb):

^this one definitely needs work on the hi-hats, I know.

maybe the pads ought to be more stereo-ized (haas effect or something)

voice samples and lead type can pan more.

its a little irritating to have mostly crackle in one ear.

hope these were useful comments. know that this listener approves of your efforts.

• 7 months later...

Honestly - 1996 could be part of a LTJ Bukem album and it really feels like that. The drums are very nicely done but could be more "liquid" in some parts. Sometimes it feels a little bit choppy.... though, on the other hand the voice samples make it flow again. Hmm, I'm am in two minds about that :)

Oh, and I dig Ambigious by the way - I don't know other work from you so I will take a listen to more stuff. Nevertheless, the hi-hats are placed quite well - their sound is maybe a little bit too clean and repetitive. And here again, the used voice sample gives the song a lot of depth.

So, yeah, I'm really excited how your other stuff sounds :biggrin:

• 4 months later...
Guest GateFour

checked out a few of these and I'm gonna definitely listen to more. I really like the pads and the harmonic progressions of these. It does have a very strong 90's jungle feel... which is very nostalgic to me... listened to that stuff quite a bit in my teens. Even your non-jungle/dnb tunes have this feeling. Good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived