IGNORED

Roland finally releasing evolution to TR-808

Chris Toffer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be very surprised if it wasn't analog.

This is a post from back in Dec from a guy that runs an (almost) all analog synth shop here in town that is the most awesome toy store:

"Roland just stopped by and they're saying something big is coming, probably announced at NAMM. Care to guess or wish?"

and

"I have no idea, but i will say he looked down at one point and saw a TR-707 we have in the case and kinda shook his head a little and smiled, saying "man... we sold a lot of those in the eighties"."

Now, that's obviously not a lot to go on, but the fact that this is a store that specializes in almost all analog kind of makes me think that a Roland rep trying to get an all analog shop excited about some stupid new digital Roland child's toy would be kind of silly.

so the price tag is almost 1,000 and it only has 6 voices? am i understanding that correctly? the interface/panel for it looks super crap, like something native instruments would put out in the hardware domain. Count me totally unexcited

there are so many options these days for analog drum sequencers as well as modules that it would almost make more sense for Roland to release their system 100 modules again or something that be really bad ass, like a modular system that includes an sh-101, a 303 , 606, 808 and 909 engine as seperate modules

so the price tag is almost 1,000 and it only has 6 voices? am i understanding that correctly? the interface/panel for it looks super crap, like something native instruments would put out in the hardware domain. Count me totally unexcited

there are so many options these days for analog drum sequencers as well as modules that it would almost make more sense for Roland to release their system 100 modules again or something that be really bad ass, like a modular system that includes an sh-101, a 303 , 606, 808 and 909 engine as seperate modules

Where did u get this information?

Some fake information got leaked, and it was simply a desciption of the korg volka beats with an image change

Where did u get this information?

Some fake information got leaked, and it was simply a desciption of the korg volka beats with an image change

Yeah, wondering the same thing... been watching this pretty close and haven't seen anything about price tags or number of voices.

Also, it occurs to me that "Aira" sounds like "Era", as in remakes of analog gear from another era, ie, TR-808 in a new box. Not really sure that's exciting, but

This must be what he's talking about:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/01/aira-evolution-of-roland-tr-808-rhythm.html

but:

"Update: I'm hearing from someone in the know that none of the following is correct. Apparently it's the KORG Volca description. As always, you never know with leaks and time will tell. If none, then not analog?

"Analogue Ryhthm Machine, 6 Analog and 4PCM-based Drumparts, Loop- and Step-Sequencer, Stutter-, Active Step and Step Jump-Functions, Multitouch Trigger Pad / Step-Button, LED-Display, Build-in Speaker, Sync I/O 1/8" Mini-Input female Mono, MIDI In, Headphone-Out 1/8" Mini-TRS Stereo, Power via 6x AA Battery or optional Power Supply (KA-350; not included), Dimention: 193 x 115 x 45 mm (WxHxD), Weight: 372"

I'm curious, kind of excited, but where else can they go when everyone else, Korg, Nord, Elektron, etc, built on Roland's initial designs? They can only go for a low price point with some unique sound designs. Korg totally beat them to the punch by giving a lot of people what they've been begging for for decades without completely copying the x0x designs.

If the price estimate isn't wrong, then I don't think anyone is going to care about Roland's new gear. That box just doesn't look like its got enough to justify that much cash.

something that be really bad ass, like a modular system that includes an sh-101, a 303 , 606, 808 and 909 engine as seperate modules

Fuck what a concept! "We have the technology, we can rebuild him"

Yeah, the fact that they didn't do this is mind boggling. Of course, the x0x runs were not used as they were intended either, and you can't recreate the wheel, but you can at least cash in on your wheel design to keep your momentum going. Like it's been said before, Roland's products today are far from cutting edge or retromantic or even nice looking.

reminds me of the korg electribe (which i didnt like)

i understand they have to make it look futuristic and shit but it doesnt look appetizing to me, but dont judge a book by its cover i guess, we'll see what happens, im excited to read the reviews.

I suppose I'm a hypocrite software user for saying this, but if its oscillators are digital then that will be a turnoff. I'm not gonna blackball it before its release tho.

yep, sorry guys - looks like it's a VA :(

Product:
Aira by Roland TR-8 drum machine

General:
That classic TR-808 has a considerable reputation is clear. These drums were already since the early 90s in the Sound Canvas and many followers, it is safe to say that everyone knows this unique sound. Aira by Roland sets the TR-8 drum machine, a interesting new product on the market: a TR-808 with a new look. This drum machine looks impressive, the backlit buttons make the user directly into the spacepop and synthpop atmosphere of the 80's.

Capabilities of the TR-8
As with the original Roland TR-808 drum sounds, you can update individual parameters that are unique to specific sounds. So the bass drum has parameters other than the hi-hats. If you know the panel of the original TR-808 well then you will immediately see that the TR-8 has much more control. So there are a channel fader knobs and more, the TR-8 thus has a lot of possibilities for tweaking hands-on, quickly and clearly.

Specifications:
- Drumcomputer
- Step sequencer
- Based on the Roland TR-808
- Good sound quality
- Easy operation
- Backlit buttons
- Many controls
- Color: black

Tips or comments about this product:
-

Warranty:
In this product you get a 3 year warranty.

Stand-alone: yes MIDI controller: no

Analogue / digital: virtual analog

Optional external foot pedal: no

Number of analog input channels: 0

Number of analog output channels: 9-16

Headphone output: yes

Speaker built: no

USB connection: no

Support USB media: no

MIDI I / O: in / out

source

something that be really bad ass, like a modular system that includes an sh-101, a 303 , 606, 808 and 909 engine as seperate modules

Yeah, the fact that they didn't do this is mind boggling. Of course, the x0x runs were not used as they were intended either, and you can't recreate the wheel, but you can at least cash in on your wheel design to keep your momentum going. Like it's been said before, Roland's products today are far from cutting edge or retromantic or even nice looking.

intellijel just released an entire SH-101 clone on a eurorack panel, tip top audio has 808 and 909 clone drum modules, a few companies have 303 like filters and oscillators in eurorack and intellijel also put out a sequencer with the same slide/portamento chip as the 303. There is at this point literally no reason to go to Roland for this type of sound unless you absolutely have to have the real vintage unit. I think right now the only 'famous' vintage units worth procuring that haven't had ultra inflated prices (yet) are the 606 and 707. Sh-202 seems pretty awesome too, never used one though

I think if they hired some of the eurorack companies to make a new product for them, like some kind of joint release it could be really special.

yep, sorry guys - looks like it's a VA :(

Product:

Aira by Roland TR-8 drum machine

General:

That classic TR-808 has a considerable reputation is clear. These drums were already since the early 90s in the Sound Canvas and many followers, it is safe to say that everyone knows this unique sound. Aira by Roland sets the TR-8 drum machine, a interesting new product on the market: a TR-808 with a new look. This drum machine looks impressive, the backlit buttons make the user directly into the spacepop and synthpop atmosphere of the 80's.

Capabilities of the TR-8

As with the original Roland TR-808 drum sounds, you can update individual parameters that are unique to specific sounds. So the bass drum has parameters other than the hi-hats. If you know the panel of the original TR-808 well then you will immediately see that the TR-8 has much more control. So there are a channel fader knobs and more, the TR-8 thus has a lot of possibilities for tweaking hands-on, quickly and clearly.

Specifications:

- Drumcomputer

- Step sequencer

- Based on the Roland TR-808

- Good sound quality

- Easy operation

- Backlit buttons

- Many controls

- Color: black

Tips or comments about this product:

-

Warranty:

In this product you get a 3 year warranty.

Stand-alone: yes MIDI controller: no

Analogue / digital: virtual analog

Optional external foot pedal: no

Number of analog input channels: 0

Number of analog output channels: 9-16

Headphone output: yes

Speaker built: no

USB connection: no

Support USB media: no

MIDI I / O: in / out

source

Sorry, not going to believe any retail product website specs until the official Roland site posts it. We've already got a taste of what believing those feels like.

i'm telling you...it won't be analogue. roland hate analogue. roland literally have like 1 DSP chip they use for everything. they just put it into different shaped boxes.

intellijel just released an entire SH-101 clone on a eurorack panel, tip top audio has 808 and 909 clone drum modules, a few companies have 303 like filters and oscillators in eurorack and intellijel also put out a sequencer with the same slide/portamento chip as the 303. There is at this point literally no reason to go to Roland for this type of sound unless you absolutely have to have the real vintage unit. I think right now the only 'famous' vintage units worth procuring that haven't had ultra inflated prices (yet) are the 606 and 707. Sh-202 seems pretty awesome too, never used one though

I think if they hired some of the eurorack companies to make a new product for them, like some kind of joint release it could be really special.

That would be really special.

But if only they could put something out in a lower price range. I'm definitely all about eurorack right now, but gathering all the modules you just mentioned to produce a similar sound sets you back a pretty penny. Infinitely more versatile, but way, way more expensive.

i'm telling you...it won't be analogue. roland hate analogue. roland literally have like 1 DSP chip they use for everything. they just put it into different shaped boxes.

so what if it's not analog? why do you prefer analog? ...in 2014

Archived