IGNORED

Luke Vibert - Ridmik

Herr Jan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh dear god, that music sucks ass! The sound and aesthetics and all are good, but those harmonies, melodies and chord changes are abhorrent. Sounds like a parody of an 80s B movie soundtrack by some third rate fusion/blues keyboardist, without any twists or turns that recontextualize it.

Can anyone please recommend me some Vibert music that doesn't have these corny/cheesy melodies? I think there must be some good music by him out there, but I haven't managed to find it yet. And I'm not sure I can stand to wade through more of his sucky material.

Oh dear god, that music sucks ass! The sound and aesthetics and all are good, but those harmonies, melodies and chord changes are abhorrent. Sounds like a parody of an 80s B movie soundtrack by some third rate fusion/blues keyboardist, without any twists or turns that recontextualize it.

Can anyone please recommend me some Vibert music that doesn't have these corny/cheesy melodies? I think there must be some good music by him out there, but I haven't managed to find it yet. And I'm not sure I can stand to wade through more of his sucky material.

You tried his older more mellow stuff yet? Throbbing Pouch, Drum n Bass For Papa, Big Soup + 'Do Unto Others' EP? Or his "ambient" stuff like At Atmos, Sunset Boulevard and Phat Lab. Nightmare. Enough flavours in his discography, that's for sure.

It starts to get cheesy around Tally Ho!, but I happen to really like cheese :)

Yeah, he's mostly pretty cheesy. Anything under the Luke Vibert alias or Wagon Christ post-Tally Ho! is not going to be your cup of tea in that case. So many library/easy listening samples, you see.

You'd probably like Big Soup or the Plug material in that case; both are more rhythms and samples, without the synth use that comes in when he started using Reason. Big Soup stands out as being quite amelodic compared to most of his downtempo material, while not seeming quite as dated as Throbbing Pouch et al. If you can't stand vocal samples, then you'll still have a hard time; but if you can't stand vocal samples you'd be better off not listening to him ever honestly.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's not totally crazy about Vibert. Alot of his stuff gets too jazzy/cheesy for me. I actually don't mind that Acage track though. Might be the 303 saving it though.

I do like his Amen Andrews jungle stuff though.

people who can't enjoy any Vibert = No Fun Crew

agreed! but... I have to agree that acage song is absolutely terrible. I think it might be luke's worst track of all time =(

people who can't enjoy any Vibert = No Fun Crew

agreed! but... I have to agree that acage song is absolutely terrible. I think it might be luke's worst track of all time =(

nope

that award goes to "Story" which is so bad I can't even find it on youtube

Archived