IGNORED

Create an "Autechre greatest hits" album

Lost in Amber

This is why a greatest smash hits will never be released. There is no general consensus.

I tried to make some conservative, more objective picks, but It's hard not to let it become just another "favourite tracks" list.

I picked Goz Quarter over Draun Quarter which is my personal fav from Envane. But Goz Quarter seems to be the pivotal track from the EP. On the other hand I didn't include Surripere which is arguably the most prominent and representative track from Draft.

Perhaps a poll is in order?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why a greatest smash hits will never be released. There is no general consensus.

I tried to make some conservative, more objective picks, but It's hard not to let it become just another "favourite tracks" list.

I picked Goz Quarter over Draun Quarter which is my personal fav from Envane. But Goz Quarter seems to be the pivotal track from the EP. On the other hand I didn't include Surripere which is arguably the most prominent and representative track from Draft.

But laughing quarter so gr8……!

I tried to put together an AE Top 50 tracks playlist and am still stuck a 73 tracks.

1. Clipper

2. Rotar

3. Cipater

4. Recury

5. Arch Carrier

6. Pen Expers

7. Parhelic Triangle

8. V-Proc

9. Ipacial Section

10. Pro Radii

11. Rale

12. Treale

13. irlite (0)

14. 1 1 is

15. reckson

16. garbagemx

17. Drane

18. Yeesland

19. Rpeg

20. Cepuiqmx

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I think I just realized the major flaw in this is that all of Confield would have to be included. What were the weakest tracks on confield? Im guessing Eidetic Casein?

LOL...i love Eidetic Casein! I would say Pen Expers

Guest Rulohead32

I bet they would do a not-so-traditional double-cd of 1 track each release, in chronological order, but first LP's and then EP's:

CD1

01 Autriche

02 Montreal

03 Dael

04 Cichli

05 Arch Carrier

06 Parhelic Triangle

07 Reniform Puls

08 Fermium

09 Altibzz

10 O=0

11 bladelores

CD2:

01 Djarum

02 Brunchusevenmx

03 Second Bad Vilbel

04 Laughing Quarter

05 Krib

06 Inhake 2

07 Pir

08 19 Headaches

09 Gantz Graf

10 pce freeze 2.8i

11 newbound

• 1 month later...
Guest enigmazach

The song selection for an Autechre 'greatest hits' compilation is, of course, highly debatable; nevertheless, there are at least a few songs that would almost have to be included. For instance, we'd have to consider the songs for which official music videos were produced: "Basscadet", "Second Bad Vilbel", and "Gantz Graf". Those three are pretty obvious choices to include in a career overview. It's also important to note that "Basscadet" actually charted within the Top 100 of the UK pop charts -- and I believe it's Autechre's only single/EP to do so. Okay, so those are the "hits", if you will.

And then you've got at least a few other noteworthy classics and/or songs that got somewhat widespread attention: the breakbeat hardcore single "Cavity Job" (an influential staple of the rave scene); the ambient techno gems "Kalpol Introl" and "Bike" (featured in the film Pi and the game Grand Theft Auto: Episodes of Liberty City, respectively); the culturally significant and acclaimed "Flutter" (produced specifically as protestation of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act [1994]).

Well, those are, more or less, the "objective" choices. After that, it's really an issue of selecting the huge fan favorites -- and this is where it gets very tricky, but these are the ones I'd say are the safest bets (whilst trying to limit it to one or two selections per release)...

Incunabula: "444".

Amber: "Piezo" and "Teartear".

Garbage: "Garbagemx" and "Vletrmx".

Tri Repetae: "Clipper" and "Eutow".

Anvil Vapre: "Second Peng".

Envane: "Laughing Quater".

Chiastic Slide: "Cipater" and "Cichli".

LP5: "Rae".

Confield: "Pen Expers".

I'd have to ponder a little longer on the later releases, but this should be some food for thought for now.

Guest enigmazach

I think that's the way to go, honestly. I'd say a poll for each album and EP would be called for -- though a fairly large sample of the AE fanbase would be required for accurate results. :-)

Guest enigmazach

Okay, I don't think a proper Autechre career overview could get much better than this:

Autechre - Architecture 1991-2013

DISC ONE
01 Cavity Job [from Cavity Job]
02 Kalpol Introl [from Incunabula]
03 Bike [from Incunabula]
04 444 [from Incunabula]
05 Basscadet (Bcdtmx) [from Basscad,EP]
06 Flutter [from Anti EP]
07 Piezo [from Amber]
08 Teartear [from Amber]
09 Garbagemx [from Garbage]
10 VLetrmx [from Garbage]
DISC TWO
01 Clipper [from Tri Repetae]
02 Eutow [from Tri Repetae]
03 Second Bad Vilbel [from Anvil Vapre]
04 Laughing Quarter [from Envane]
05 Cichli [from Chiastic Slide]
06 Krib [from Cichlisuite]
07 Drane [from Peel Session]
08 Acroyear2 [from LP5]
09 Rae [from LP5]
10 Maphive 6.1 [from EP7]
DISC THREE
01 Gelk [from Peel Session 2]
02 Pen Expers [from Confield]
03 Gantz Graf [from Gantz Graf]
04 Surripere [from Draft 7.30]
05 LCC [from Untilted]
06 Tankakern [from Quaristice]
07 d-sho qub [from Oversteps]
08 nth Dafuseder.b [from Move of Ten]
09 bladelores [from Exai]

Guest enigmazach

/\

Picked an oversteps track

Left out treale

List is invalid

Based on reviews from critics, RYM users, and Discogs users, "d-sho qub" is the most well-regarded song from Oversteps.

First thing's first, you gotta be kidding me, there's no such mechanics on those sites as to determine the most well regarded song, and that song is rubbish save for awesome choir cuts based on advanced google analytics. On to the next shit - fuck Treale /last post

Guest enigmazach

First thing's first, you gotta be kidding me, there's no such mechanics on those sites as to determine the most well regarded song, and that song is rubbish save for awesome choir cuts based on advanced google analytics. On to the next shit - fuck Treale /last post

Huh? It's not rocket science to see that one song is highlighted more times than another in reviews. "d-sho qub" is simply the track highlighted most frequently from Oversteps.

Other than having a poll, as already suggested, there really aren't other objective ways of determining the top tracks from each AE release. A poll would certainly be the best option, though.

Huh? It's not rocket science to see that one song is highlighted more times than another in reviews. "d-sho qub" is simply the track highlighted most frequently from Oversteps.

Other than having a poll, as already suggested, there really aren't other objective ways of determining the top tracks from each AE release. A poll would certainly be the best option, though.

So you are kidding. I want to look at your calculations if they are as basic as you claim. I see Treale, qplay and see on see as much more frequent. How can you be sure that you saw an analytically correct number of reviews? What about their quantity? More serious method would suggest using points for diversification of opinions based on their level of erudition and general enthusiasm towards a subject.

So you are kidding. I want to look at your calculations if they are as basic as you claim. I see Treale, qplay and see on see as much more frequent. How can you be sure that you saw an analytically correct number of reviews? What about their quantity? More serious method would suggest using points for diversification of opinions based on their level of erudition and general enthusiasm towards a subject.

..... I really really like r ess, Does that mean my opinion gets a weighting determined by a calculation that goes something like

My opinion = (number of times seen autechre live) * ((1+($ donated to CW kickstarter)) ^ (tracks featured on chatmm compilations)) ) / (post count)

(therefore, my opinion is very little, lol)

There has to be more than one track from Exai.

FWIW I tried to make a 4 CD Autechre career retrospective but could not do it while adhering to 75 minute CD time limits. A lot of their best tracks are also over nine minutes up to fifteen (Garbage, Clipper, Drane, Drane2, Surripiere, etc., etc.,etc.)

Guest enigmazach

Arch Carrier

Pure Electronic, Modern Electronics.

It was certainly considered for my compilation idea. I'd say "Rae" is the top track from LP5.

Archived