IGNORED

Squarepusher X Z-machines: Music For Robots - EP 05 April 2014

Guest murph

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder if this is enough revolutionary to put robots instead of humans for unplayable scores by men...

Otherwise, why is this extraordinary to let robots to play these titles (and thus spend a fortune for this project) while the computer and MAO is enough to do it? (Although these titles are so good!)

Will Squarepusher play live with these fucking robots?

A very good album, but these robots are useless...

I wonder if this is enough revolutionary to put robots instead of humans for unplayable scores by men...

Otherwise, why is this extraordinary to let robots to play these titles (and thus spend a fortune for this project) while the computer and MAO is enough to do it? (Although these titles are so good!)

huh?

The whole point of this endeavor was to push the instruments to their limit. There are physical limitations to human ability and the instruments (for example, how many guitar strings do you think they broke doing this?)

huh?

The whole point of this endeavor was to push the instruments to their limit. There are physical limitations to human ability and the instruments (for example, how many guitar strings do you think they broke doing this?)

Yes but so what? To prove what? Robots could replace humans? I saw the videos and I'm not particularly attracted to this sort of thing. It is impressive once, then that's all, bye! I do not see what could give later as new... it makes no sense ... i don't imagine a live with them... money! money! money! it's just for pleasure... Then we won't hear more about these robots... it'll be ephemeral...

huh?

Yes but so what? To prove what? Robots could replace humans? I saw the videos and I'm not particularly attracted to this sort of thing. It is impressive once, then that's all, bye! I do not see what could give later as new... it makes no sense ... i don't imagine a live with them... money! money! money! it's just for pleasure... Then we won't hear more about these robots... it'll be ephemeral...

No not replace humans. It's just to show the very limits of what can be done with acoustic/analogue equipment.

Why do humans build ridiculously tall buildings? To prove what?

Just cause. Exploring the limitations of the medium and instruments has always been what squarepusher was about. Go plastic was no different really. He was exploring how far jungle and the amen can be pushed.

huh?

No not replace humans. It's just to show the very limits of what can be done with acoustic/analogue equipment.

Just cause. Exploring the limitations of the medium and instruments has always been what squarepusher was about. Go plastic was no different really. He was exploring how far jungle and the amen can be pushed.

I'm not sure, I do not think it is to show the limits, it's just for fun, nothing more. What would help us, otherwise? this analysis will lead us nowhere... because it has already been done differently but without these robots in human form, it's just another version to prove how far the human limit would go and same thing for the machine limit...

"Why do humans build ridiculously tall buildings? To prove what?" --> lol stupid question, it is for the place, otherwise if buildings are less high but are made in width, it would take too much space...

Squarepusher don't need these robots to show anything, it's just for fun, but now, I am convinced that this project is shit and will be quickly forgotten, except in Japan, strange but interesting country...

He stated everything I'm saying (other than the go plastic bit) in an interview recently. I will find it for you. Unless he's lying about the point of his own work then it's true.

huh?

"Why do humans build ridiculously tall buildings? To prove what?" --> lol stupid question, it is for the place, otherwise if buildings are less high but are made in width, it would take too much space...

Excuse me?

Do you mean to tell me this building, the tallest building in the world, was built to save space? In the vast empty desert all around it? And the CN tower, which isn't even habitable, wasn't built just because it's a human feat?

What?

wide-shot-of-dubai_1531552i.jpg

Excuse me?

Do you mean to tell me this building, the tallest building in the world, was built to save space? In the vast empty desert all around it? And the CN tower, which isn't even habitable, wasn't built just because it's a human feat?

What?

wide-shot-of-dubai_1531552i.jpg

yeah... if you are a graphic designer, you know the importance of white space which occupy the field (on paper or whatever)... after there is the design to make it nice...

• 1 month later...
Guest bitroast

Having a re-listen, pretty good, i just think he put the tracks in the wrong order

for a little mini release, I thought it has a nice flow and progression to the track order.

what would you suggest otherwise? :)

Tracks 2, 3,1,5,4

Dunno, something like that. I didn't find a flow to it on the first few listens. I'm getting lost in the tracks more now, track order is becoming less relevant. Yeah, this record is a grower.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just found this in my record store, was a bit disappointed at first listen mostly because I thought there would be a lot more of drums on here. Sad Robot, Dissolver are huge tracks, Endless You is really lovely, but I don't think the two others are that interesting - they might grow up on me tho...

To me, Music For Robots is almost like Shobaleader One vol. II - without the vocals, but pushing the concept always further. Would love to hear what JAS recorded with those robots would sound like !

Guest bitroast

To me, Music For Robots is almost like Shobaleader One vol. II - without the vocals, but pushing the concept always further.

wow. wha? how so??

my 2 cents

my-two-cents.jpg

shobaleader to me I think is... jam based? between him and the drummer guy who he performed live with? with the drumkit rigged up to trigger 909 samples(or actual 909?) or something? so it's a lot more loose and open and kind of letting a bit of light hearted fun get in the mix (ie the cheese colourful vibes, the funk, etc.).

and I guess like.. the music for robtots ep is a continuation of some of squarepushers previous themes.. blurring the lines between live performance and produced music. playing on that interplay between machine/human producing music etc etc etc. but the way the music was specially designed for the robots makes it a pretty unique concept in how it was written + executed as far as squarepusher catalogue goes?

To me, Music For Robots is almost like Shobaleader One vol. II - without the vocals, but pushing the concept always further.

shobaleader to me I think is... jam based? between him and the drummer guy who he performed live with? with the drumkit rigged up to trigger 909 samples(or actual 909?) or something? so it's a lot more loose and open and kind of letting a bit of light hearted fun get in the mix (ie the cheese colourful vibes, the funk, etc.).

and I guess like.. the music for robtots ep is a continuation of some of squarepushers previous themes.. blurring the lines between live performance and produced music. playing on that interplay between machine/human producing music etc etc etc. but the way the music was specially designed for the robots makes it a pretty unique concept in how it was written + executed as far as squarepusher catalogue goes?

Yeah but I feel like it's basically the same concept approached from different angles. Something like :

JAS --> Okay I'm the Squarepusher but let's record an album as if it was made by a jazz/rock band.

Shobaleader --> Okay that was cool now I'll just pretend I actually have a band.

Music For Robots --> Holy crap now I have a band of people doing exactly what I want them to do (ie. robots).

Idk, that's just how I see those releases, but they're all great nonetheless (I even started liking Remote Amber, but then I realized I was playing it at 45RPM instead of 33RPM lol...)

I think we need an speculation thread about what the next squarepusher release will sound like at this point.

Problem is, it's really hard to figure out, really harder than imagining what next AFX/Ae/Boc will sound like...

Guest bitroast

Yeah but I feel like it's basically the same concept approached from different angles. Something like :

JAS --> Okay I'm the Squarepusher but let's record an album as if it was made by a jazz/rock band.

Shobaleader --> Okay that was cool now I'll just pretend I actually have a band.

Music For Robots --> Holy crap now I have a band of people doing exactly what I want them to do (ie. robots).

Idk, that's just how I see those releases, but they're all great nonetheless (I even started liking Remote Amber, but then I realized I was playing it at 45RPM instead of 33RPM lol...)

ahh that makes sense!

on a slightly related note,

ultravisitor and just a souvenir feel like same concept from different angles as well.

ultravisitor, with its live audience/cheering cuts all over the album. songs that sound like live instruments that build up this image of a live band playing it if you give in to the fantasy. then that's blown out of water with crazy drum n bass/psychedelic/DSP ridden tracks that flip the live band image on its head.

just a souvenir has a similar idea, being a live alien band playing space garage rock infront of a neon coathanger (as per the press release).

and then... shobaleader one... with its crazy writeup about the band members (altho listening to the music it doesn't really sound like a band.. it still just sounds like squarepusher doing solo sega pop).

and then!!! again. yes. the music for robots ep.

it's like he's fixated on this idea of some make believe live band that can play impossible music. different albums playing on similar ideas from different angles :)

Yeah indeed !

I always thought that Ultravisitor was a really narrative piece of music, unlike Just A Souvenir.

The album title and the photograph of the sleeve always make me think of a guy coming to a gig and stealing the show, playing bass and mad beats and killing the audience (he interacts with the crowd at the beginning of Tetra-Sync which really sounds like a funeral song or something, and after that track you don't hear any crowd noise on the album). Maybe I'm just over-analyzing the album but it's probably the one I listened to the most, as well as my favorite :wub:

Archived