IGNORED

(New) Noir style Movies

Berk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might not fit the description, but I would recommend Frenzy by Alfred Hitchcock.

It's a a lot dirtier and has more gallows humor than any of his other film I've seen. The 70's allowed more edginess. It also has a couple of scene's that remind you it's muthafuckin Hitchcock

I love the old noirs-perfect for a damp and dingy winter afternoon.

Orson Welles and Edward G Robinson in The Stranger.Fritz Langs M(peter lorre at his sweaty best)..And of course Shanghai Express.Deitrich is gorgeous as usual if you can put up with Clive Brooks' Awfully' wooden Brit.

It may be older than you are looking for but Double Indemnity is fucking wicked.

watched that in a Film History class when discussing the noir genre, great movie indeed.

Also since Hitchcock was mentioned how about The 39 Steps?

It may be older than you are looking for but Double Indemnity is fucking wicked.

watched that in a Film History class when discussing the noir genre, great movie indeed.

Ha, me too.

Guest transmisiones ferox

I know these aren't necessarily straightforward neo-noir films, and are pretty obvious movies, but 2 of my fav films, which I think have pretty hefty neo-noir elements:

*David Fincher's "The Game" (personal fav),

and

*Roman Polanski's "The Ninth Gate" (though I hate to promote his name).

Thank you for this thread, as I'm always on the hunt for neo-noir as well as cyberpunk films. (:

Loved "The Ninth Gate, someone mention "Brick, so maybe "Looper also ?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I'm going to 2nd Brick. I think it still holds up. I could imagine some people hating it and its a bit forced in places but I still like.

^ it might seem retarded but subtitles would help. the Dashiell Hammett-esque street talk is pretty cool the way they've grafted it onto that time and place, but half the references and meanings and stuff flew over my head the first time I watched the movie.

I just love how they took a Hammett/Chandler-type story and worked it into an American high school scenario. I thought that was fresh and inventive. plus the style and cinematography and pacing of it... there're a lot of things I like about Brick.

Maybe Only God Forgives? It's kinda like Drive but slower and with less talking. Nice to look at.

What you're describing is a silent film. There are like five lines of dialogue in Drive.

Maybe Only God Forgives? It's kinda like Drive but slower and with less talking. Nice to look at.

What you're describing is a silent film. There are like five lines of dialogue in Drive.

lol

"would you like a glass of water?"

*stare*

*slight smile*

[5 hrs later]

"sure"

I loved Drive but that shit would never fly irl. the "mysterious silent guy" thing just makes you seem like a total weirdo. unless you're so smoking hot like Ryan Gosling that you can hear the ladies' vagoos dripping insistently during those 5 minutes you take to spit out a sentence.

Not from Drive, but definitely most of his lines are

tumblr_mau7bcDrDQ1rsxhev.gif

And I like Drive. Love the music and the atmosphere and the seediness. But he really hasn't got a goddamn thing to say in that film.

I loved Drive but that shit would never fly irl. the "mysterious silent guy" thing just makes you seem like a total weirdo. unless you're so smoking hot like Ryan Gosling that you can hear the ladies' vagoos dripping insistently during those 5 minutes you take to spit out a sentence.

Haha!

I enjoyed Drive a lot because it messed with my technical expectations of unraveling the plot. The opening 'car chase' is barely a car chase at all, but it was brilliant. The timing between major plot devices was nicely executed. It didn't bore me with constantly thinking 'OK, so this should be happening now.'

Great thread. I'll take a lot of these suggestions to heart. I was on a film-noir kick a while back, marathoning all the classics.

Hitchcock's Rope isn't really a film-noir in the technical sense, but it's one of my favs of his.

Nah, more like ten. Five lines of dialogue is Only God Forgives. I think it might even have a bit more staring.

Basic Instinct

That's funny you mention, I was thinking of that film as having neo-noir elements, but wasnt sure if I was the only one who thought that :D

Also, has anyone seen Frantic? It's a Polanski film- weird 80s thriller with Harrison Ford, where he and his wife visit Paris, and a bunch of crazy stuff happens (wont give it away).. a Grace Jones song plays, and it's probably one of the best fitting music placements ive seen in a film.. the film is kinda new wavey and quirky and kinda freaky too.. it's really awesome.. one of my favs.

Archived