IGNORED

Arturia BeatStep

Audioblysk

This is pretty neat for the price point. I like that it can have some functionality with live sets/arranging songs as well as trigger midi and CV as an analog sequencer (albeit slightly limited in that respect). All for under 120$. Shits wild, yo.

BeatStep_650.png

Hardware Specifications :

• 16 backlit pads :
    • Red = MIDI CC mode
    • Blue = SEQ mode
    • Velocity and pressure sensitive pads
  • 16 assignable encoders with 3 modes
    • MIDI CC
    • NRPN/RPN
    • Program Change
  • Transport Buttons
    • Sends MIDI clock with Start/Stop (internal sync)
    • Sends MMC play and stop messages.
  • Data Dial
    • Volume MIDI CC7 – Control Mode
    • Rate – in SEQUENCE mode
    • Seq Transpose – SHIFT+Data Dial
  • Kensington Lock
  • MIDI CC mode – RED LEDS
  • 16 user presets
  • Multiple pad modes
    • NOTE data
    • MIDI CC data
    • Program Change with Bank
  • Step Sequencer – BLUE LEDS
    • 16 user step sequences
    • Step play modes
      • Forward
      • Reverse
      • Alternate > <
      • Random
    • Time divisions
      • ¼th, 1/8th, 1/16th, 1/32nd
    • Internal or External Sync
    • Direct MIDI channel select
    • Pattern Length = 1 -16 steps
    • Sysex functions
      • Swing 50%-75%
      • Gate Time
      • Legato playback mode
      • User Scale setting
  • Connectivity
    • Mini USB in/out (DC in for standalone operation)
    • 3.5mm MIDI output
    • 3.5mm CV & Gate outputs

This is a borderline no-brainer if you like the step-sequencer style workflow (or even if you don't know and just want to try it out).

I don't know that I need one, but at that price point, I dare say I will end up with one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that looks pretty good. Would love to hear about the knobs as soon as anyone here make some stuff with one. I'm not very happy with my Behringer BCF 2000, I just use the faders on it for automating Vst instruments (the knobs are soooo bad) but if I can do the same with the knobs of this BeatStep and why not a couple of other cool things I guess I'm sold too.

• 1 month later...

Got one yesterday just for the hell of it.

Very immediate little thing, with a few limitations of course:

- No clock or MIDI in, so it has to be the time master (or receive synch via computer/USB).

- Each step can only be transposed up to one octave up or down.

- No sub-chromatic intervals.

- Some functions can only be controlled via computer program (swing, sequence length, gate time++)

The omission of the clock input seems to be the gravest fault with it, if it had that it would be combine-able with all kinds of modular stuff, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd assume just one channel at a time for the sequencer, and another for the live pads..? Though the specs say that each pad/step can be assigned to a different midi channel.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. It'd be great for minimal techno. Anyone else got one?

I'd assume just one channel at a time for the sequencer, and another for the live pads..? Though the specs say that each pad/step can be assigned to a different midi channel.

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. It'd be great for minimal techno. Anyone else got one?

yeah I think it's one sequence at a time, I took a look at the manual because I also was interested in the question. But I guess it was predictable given the price... I'll also probably get one for my next purchase, it could be an efficient (& cheap) extension to my setup right now.

Yeah. I haven't even looked at any videos but I'm seriously considering picking one up on my way home tonight. Looks like it'd be perfect to adjust arpeggios on the fly. Besides, I've been looking into compact knob/pad boxes for a while and the only alternative I can think of is the Korg Nanokontrol series, which I'd have to pay the same amount for if I wanted *both* knobs and pads.. and then I wouldn't get a sequencer.

Yep, couldn't resist. It's quite nice, though the limitations take some time to get used to. It has a nice legato mode though, which plays nicely with the Volca Keys. Just spent the last hour or so playing around with Tangerine Dream style trance arpeggios :emotawesomepm9:

I haven't even tried using it properly as a pad controller yet, though it's really great that the knobs/pads can be assigned to channels independent to the sequencer. Lots of useful features.

The build quality also seems pretty great for such a cheap controller. It's got some weight to it.

My only minor criticism is that the knobs aren't sensitive enough, even on the 'fast acceleration' setting. That said, I do like that sometimes for long filter sweeps etc.. and the knobs themselves seem pretty high quality, so maybe it'll be fixed in a firmware update.

Yep, couldn't resist. It's quite nice, though the limitations take some time to get used to. It has a nice legato mode though, which plays nicely with the Volca Keys. Just spent the last hour or so playing around with Tangerine Dream style trance arpeggios :emotawesomepm9:

I haven't even tried using it properly as a pad controller yet, though it's really great that the knobs/pads can be assigned to channels independent to the sequencer. Lots of useful features.

The build quality also seems pretty great for such a cheap controller. It's got some weight to it.

My only minor criticism is that the knobs aren't sensitive enough, even on the 'fast acceleration' setting. That said, I do like that sometimes for long filter sweeps etc.. and the knobs themselves seem pretty high quality, so maybe it'll be fixed in a firmware update.

oh great thing to read, I was curious about the quality of the knobs (and of course general build quality). I feared that thing about their low sensitivity though and that bothers me because I like rapid filter action... Let's hope they update that

Archived