IGNORED

clavia nord drum: anyone have one?

kcinsu

The tr model is definitely "in the spirit" of, and not exact replicas. Still sounds great though :)

It has its own sound for sure... And without sampling abilities the spectrum might appear more limited than a MD that has, for example, a tambourine sample... You won't get that sound or the sonic variety inherent in samples, but the synth engine is extremely flexible, and while you work with in the structure of "tone, noise, click" there is so much to be done with that.

Also, technically possible to trigger the pads, but it's not comfortable or ergonomic. You'll want sticks. Grab an akai controller or the like if you want to finger drum.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My typical usage with the ND2 is to have a kick, snare, cymbal, and 2 misc perc sounds. I keep this setup constant, so that when I switch kits on the ND2, the patterns work with most kits. Then on the MD I'll layer another kick and clap, and the rest is for "sound design" experimental type sounds... Usually FM synths. So 6 of the machines are MIDI, 1 external input so I can effect the ND2 (filter, eq, distortion etc) as a kit. Fun to have a "base" kick and clap/snare on the MD that is constant, and then filter and effect the ND2 .

One major annoyance though, is that program change for the ND2 is 2 CC messages (bank, program) and so simply using the built in program change on the MIDi kit doesn't work. Haven't tried using 2 CC assignments to see if it works that way, as I use those to do CC plocks.

What I really need to do is get a routable MIDI interface and set up another controller to switch programs.

Nothing is perfect :)

Interesting, so you use the same setup with each track? Although this isn't a massive surprise if you're working with an MD too... I haven't used many effects with drums except some distortion although I have a decent reverb and delay box to try out with one at some point.

I don't have a clue what your annoyance is... I'm sure I'll learn about it in time!

Do you know whether you can play a MD with drum pads (like but not the nord pad)? This would swing it for me as the variety of sounds on the MD is probably a lot higher than the ND2.

Any MIDI capable pads will work with the MD.

I think the ND2 is more suited for pads though... It is extremely velocity sensitive, in that the character of the sounds change with different velocities. With the MD you will only get a volume difference... It makes the ND2 extremely playable. The sounds of the MD are really meant to be sequenced and plocked

Those 2 inputs are for audio, not triggers.

If you want to use triggers with the MD, you'll need a trigger to MIDI converter.

er not on my machinedrum, the audio inputs can also work as triggers which is quite nice not having to use a midi device or brain to utilize it (esp if you have pieces of an old roland midi vdrum kit lying around that have only 1/4 outs and no brain your friend never picked up -->me<--)

hax0r mode: using a cv sequencer or trigger generator on a modular to control the machine drum (tip: try a triangle wave controlling the frequency of a square wave LFO for cv retriggered bouncing ball synthesizer machinedrum sounds)

Makes sense...

Just found this video. Shows some cool sounds/variety on the ND2.

[youtubehd]CHigPGPshYk[/youtubehd]

Ordered mine yesterday, so hopefully should arrive within the next week or so :D

hax0r mode: using a cv sequencer or trigger generator on a modular to control the machine drum (tip: try a triangle wave controlling the frequency of a square wave LFO for cv retriggered bouncing ball synthesizer machinedrum sounds)

Yeah, or even a sampled LFO/trigger pattern playing on an MD sample track going to an individual output and then back into a trigger input. P-lock-o-rama.

Those 2 inputs are for audio, not triggers.

If you want to use triggers with the MD, you'll need a trigger to MIDI converter.

er not on my machinedrum, the audio inputs can also work as triggers which is quite nice not having to use a midi device or brain to utilize it (esp if you have pieces of an old roland midi vdrum kit lying around that have only 1/4 outs and no brain your friend never picked up -->me<--)

Huh, interesting. Is that a machine or a global setting?

Never noticed that!

Guest kymppinetti

Anyone have any experience with the Nord Drum 1? There is one going pretty cheap on the local Craigslist

i have one. infact, just got it today. it's preatty fun little box. :) you can grind quite a lot the sound in it: it's excellent for sample making. i think the overall sound have a bit of autechre in it.

i bought it for 199e, it's really worth the money.

Yeah, or even a sampled LFO/trigger pattern playing on an MD sample track going to an individual output and then back into a trigger input. P-lock-o-rama.

never tried that, good idea!

Nord drum 2 arrived today and the sound quality is superb. Only gone through some of the presets so far but pretty impressed!

Drumming skills are coming along nicely and look forward to incorporating a few loops in some heavy tracks I'm making at the moment :D

awesome man, im getting mine tomorrow according to UPS. Anything new Nord drum 2 users should know Kcinsu?
I already got the Ipad app ready to go as well as the max4live parameter panel. Any other things I should check out?
How does it respond to CC control? Does it choke or stutter when playing with all the parameters at once?

One immediate issue comes to mind, which is don't be sending it MIDI when turning it on. Sometimes it'll just stop responding. So just plug it in first, before you start any sequencer going into it.

yes, easily the best hardware drum synth engine on the market. The physical modeling shit is out of control, some of the demos on here sound totally like samples, realistic snares and toms (but they're evidently just subtractive synth + physical modeling). I'm pretty blown away to be honest, Elektron has some catching up to do. It can do so many different kinds of electronic drums sounds well. The only feature thats a bit elusive to me right now is the LFO options. It doesn't take too long to get a good feel for the whole synth engine, its very straight forward. Kcinsu's 'yes' response to me asking if it beats out the machinedrum timbre quality was the deciding factor for me pulling the trigger and goddam i'm glad I did.

Guest kymppinetti

yes, easily the best hardware drum synth engine on the market. The physical modeling shit is out of control, some of the demos on here sound totally like samples, realistic snares and toms. I'm pretty blown away to be honest, Elektron has some catching up to do.

the best? wow and i own one, though it's the version one. though there isn't that much of a big difference. just a new improvement and more channels. what i've heard, i never tried the secound edition.

anyway it's fgood. so much fun to just record samples of it and play them with mpc 1000 with effects.

Archived