IGNORED

Autechre - SYptixed

cear

Wait a min, are we meant to base our taste in music on what it looks like in wave form now? Fuck me, just listen and enjoy

Absurd mastering jobs have no effect on whether a track is good or not. I think this track is great and listen to it quite often.

I like to look at wave forms purely out of curiosity, and I noticed that this one was hilarious looking and people like Jev got all touched up about it.

Guest bitroast

I'm against the grain of the opinion on this one - to me it isn't really up to the standard of Exai and L-Event. It feels as if it is building up to something but never gets there. It's just one track off a compilation though so..

I agreee with you. It has a catchy idea but the track does not have enough depth and longevity.

Sort of agree too. Its not terrible, though. The homeruns they were hitting with exai, l-event, obermans knocks remix, less recentish compilation tracks, have all set the standard pretty fucking high. This track's alright :)

u ppl mad! this one has a great melody, great development and variations. what about the pad that follows the developing melody? what about manipulations in spacial dimensions? what about ambiguities of the melody vs ambiguities of spacial awareness? you must be listening to much of raster-noton shit lately...

Guest WNS000

Wait a min, are we meant to base our taste in music on what it looks like in wave form now? Fuck me, just listen and enjoy

Absurd mastering jobs have no effect on whether a track is good or not. I think this track is great and listen to it quite often.

I like to look at wave forms purely out of curiosity, and I noticed that this one was hilarious looking and people like Jev got all touched up about it.

I am sorry, mate.

I just can't stand when somebody's (even unintentionally) spreading stereotypical myths about audio stuff. Nothing personal.

Dawg, in the last year I've had two different artists have the mastering engineers (Dietrich Schonemann / Andreas Kauffelt) request a less limited master. It is a fact, that putting a limiter on the master bus reduces the ability of engineers to do their job. I wasn't saying "you shouldn't use limiters".

I personally would prefer if they went back to simplicity a bit. A mix between Exai and Untilted would be perfect to me.

Simplicity...Exai and Untilted? Wtf are you talking about?

regarding the wave form... it also probably looks like that cause some of them (ae or more likely the me) used soft or hard-clipping on it, either in a software form or by clipping the AD stage of a converter combined with a limiter and all to gain in punch cause limiters alone, by killing transients can kill attacks when pushed hard while clipped sound can somewhat sound better in that situation. the 'kick' in this track sounds very soft anyway so i wouldn't be surprised if they chose the clipping technique especially soft-clipping cause it also introduces odd-order harmonics.

Guest WNS000

Won't somebody please think of the transients? I just emailed this thread to the guy who mastered it demanding an explanation.

Please, note: transients and peaks can be a bad thing. It does not automatically mean better mix if the mix has a big dynamic range. Some mixes simply need aggressive compression, otherwise the message of a track could be different than intended. Nothing is black and white.

Of course, if mastering engineer doesn't respect a vision of an artist then it is a bad thing no matter what.

Edited by Jev

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...