IGNORED

Record Store Day 2014

Rubin Farr

My local store has decided to rape people on their prices, they handed me my stuff, I looked at the sticker price and handed them back. $35 for a Flaming Lips 12"? Fuck dat!

I spotted this here as well. I didn't see which record it was, but the price sticker was £52 ($87). Yeah, way to support the music/your own store by encouraging bonkers price gouging.

what the actual fuck?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jasondonervan

Couldn't believe what I was seeing. It must have been some 'audiophile edition' tosh, but still...

There were lots of soundtracks that were the wrong side of £25 as well. I'm sure the store considered this pricing structure a success, what with all the copies still sat lying around at 3pm today :cat:

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I waited in line for only about three hours with my son, we chatted with some cool guys near us, and I was able to get what I wanted (mainly the OPN and a cute thing for my wife), and my LRS didn't gouge me at all. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the OPN: only $15. I was expecting it to be hiked to about $20.

Couldn't believe what I was seeing. It must have been some 'audiophile edition' tosh, but still...

There were lots of soundtracks that were the wrong side of £25 as well. I'm sure the store considered this pricing structure a success, what with all the copies still sat lying around at 3pm today :cat:

I paid £28.99 for the supposedly limited pressing of the Blade Runner soundtrack last year, and I thought that was steep.

I'm glad I've never been sucked into this RSD bollocks now...never would've thought the prices would be jacked up so crazy.

Guest Little Lord Faulteroy

I guess I'm pretty lucky. I waited in line for only about three hours with my son, we chatted with some cool guys near us, and I was able to get what I wanted (mainly the OPN and a cute thing for my wife), and my LRS didn't gouge me at all. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised by the price of the OPN: only $15. I was expecting it to be hiked to about $20.

You lucky guy, i've missed the OPN 12" and now it's on sale on Discogs for like $45 (around 30).

Yeah, I'm pretty happy, overall. The OPN release sounds great, and the art is certainly nicer in person than it was to see a little GIF on my computer screen. I also got a pretty good deal on "The Shining OST", which was on sale because of my LRS's RSD sale (20% off all used records). But I totally spaced out on the "Ghostbusters" release, and now I see that the prices are totally jacked on eBay for it, which pisses me off a bit. I actually just missed the last copy of that before I realized that that was available. Oh well. Overall, the experience wasn't perfect for us, but we all had a good time. My son was able to get the "Scott Pilgrim Video Game OST" and my wife got some "Pink Panther" pink vinyl reissue (she's a big Mancini fan). So that was good.

Guest brendyman

My local record store (Zia Record Exchange) must be awesome, then. I bought a local music compilation for $3 (which I had a song on), and for an extra $2 got a T-shirt, a pint glass, 2 extra local CDs, and a bunch of bumper stickers. Then I got OPN's Commissions I for $16.

I paid £28.99 for the supposedly limited pressing of the Blade Runner soundtrack last year, and I thought that was steep.

I'm glad I've never been sucked into this RSD bollocks now...never would've thought the prices would be jacked up so crazy.

We have a sticker that a lot of other people don't have on their copies. :cisfor:

picked up the delroy edwards reissue, alexander robotnick, and j spaceman & kid millions. Missed out on the death waltz releases and spacemen 3 comp.

vG2RFA6l.jpg

Went to Ka-Chunk in Annapolis first; they didn't have "Commissions I," but I picked up Yukihiro Takahashi's "Neuromantic," Vangelis' "Beaubourg," and Na Hawa Doumbia's "La Grande Cantatrice Malienne, Vol. 3." Went to Soundgarden in Baltimore afterwards and was relieved to see 3 copies of "Commissions I." Picked two up for myself and a friend. Had to wait in line for about an hour to get to the vinyl section (at 4:30PM!), but it was worth it. Also saw the bass player from Metallica doing signings and such.. :shrug:

I was motivated to get out there and search after browsing Discogs this morning and seeing the resellers' prices for the 0PN release. I hope there are zero interesting releases next year.

Seen from the basis a good idea to support local stores, but the stores need to restrict the amount of copies. It's the same game every year, scalpers taking the icing of the cake with bizarre prices, overblown offers and fucking around when people complain about such behaviour.

Since there is one record store near me who refused to order three RSD titles for me, I am hoping a friend from the UK can pick up stuff later the week. Don't want to spend money on any discogs shark or ebay fucktard.

Archived