IGNORED

akai announces $200 analog drum and bassline machine

kcinsu

yep sorry, that the 21. century... posting a video and describing it without even seeing it first

how is a basic analogue patch for a clap, just for my curiosity?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty dissapointing that they brought this thing to musikmesse and all they show off is the numeric display. There's a bunch of videos online, but the audio outputs aren't connected in any of them, just this random akai "funny guy" pointing at things. I guess it's just a design prototype?

It's pretty dissapointing that they brought this thing to musikmesse and all they show off is the numeric display. There's a bunch of videos online, but the audio outputs aren't connected in any of them, just this random akai "funny guy" pointing at things. I guess it's just a design prototype?

I think officially it was at one point a fully functional unit, but was somehow broken at the show. It seems suspicious that only the audio part of the circuit was affected, as the leds/display are obviously working. Also suspicious that they couldn't have it repaired or even ship a new one in. More likely is that it never made any sound and they just brought a non working prototype.

It looks good though. I dig the wood panels. A clap would have been nice but I'm in the process of modding the hell out of a boss dr-110 and that thing has a great clap. The metallic percussion deal has the potential to be pretty cool, but who knows. Demoing a drum machine with no sound is fucked.

Guest The Bro

I think officially it was at one point a fully functional unit, but was somehow broken at the show. It seems suspicious that only the audio part of the circuit was affected, as the leds/display are obviously working. Also suspicious that they couldn't have it repaired or even ship a new one in. More likely is that it never made any sound and they just brought a non working prototype.

It looks good though. I dig the wood panels. A clap would have been nice but I'm in the process of modding the hell out of a boss dr-110 and that thing has a great clap. The metallic percussion deal has the potential to be pretty cool, but who knows. Demoing a drum machine with no sound is fucked.

Why mod a perfectly decent drum machine. Don't mean to troll it's just I'm really anti modding as I think gear should be preserved as it is/was.

Why mod a perfectly decent drum machine. Don't mean to troll it's just I'm really anti modding as I think gear should be preserved as it is/was.

Everytime I go to mod my sh-101, I can't bear to do. Which is weird becuase I sort-of despise collectorism (all the best instruments in the world are 'behind glass' and out of the hands of the people who would best put them to use). I think it's just my OCD.

But nevertheless, it would be a mucher more powerful instrument modded. Hopefully one day I'll take something that impairs my judgement to the extent that I send it off to be butchered.

great idea, now i can wait for korg to release an analogue electribe. 4 analog drum voices, two mono synths, some samples thank you

I would be all over this like fucking crazy.

Guest AsylumSeaker

great idea, now i can wait for korg to release an analogue electribe. 4 analog drum voices, two mono synths, some samples thank you

They could call it the Analtribe.

Well, I like to mod stuff. As it is, the 110 isn't particularly useful to me. There isn't any way to sync it up to other gear, so adding midi will make it slightly more useful. And it has great sounds in it (I'm pretty sure it was the last analog drum machine Roland designed), but who doesn't like having some knobs to twiddle (it has a "balance" knob, not much variety of sound)? The circuit's simple enough. Modding it is a way to take it from a glorified metronome with nice sounds to a semi flexible drum unit (or a $100 606 ripoff).

I've done the drum machine to noise box kind of mods as well, e.g. circuit bending an RX5. Not a particularly useful mod, but it still functions just as it did before, now it just has a bunch of switches that fuck it all up.

Guest AsylumSeaker

Ive got an old dr110 that I found in my dads stuff which I'd like to mod, but when i power it up i cant get a sound of it except a clicky noise from the kick :(

Guest AsylumSeaker

I guess so, but following instructions to mod a functioning device is one thing.. bringing a malfunctioning one back to life is different. I guess I can only learn though.

Ive got an old dr110 that I found in my dads stuff which I'd like to mod, but when i power it up i cant get a sound of it except a clicky noise from the kick :(

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but make sure you're using the regular output and not the trigger output (maybe try the headphone out as well). Trig out will just give you a click. It's probably not too far gone if it powers up and you just aren't getting any sound. If there isn't anything obviously broken when you open it up, e.g. loose wires/bad jack, it shouldn't be too hard to find the problem with a multimeter.

Here's the schematic (red circles are individual out points):

http://sslstudiodesign.free.fr/110/DR110mix.jpg

They could call it the Analtribe.

afx would be all over it

thanks for pointing out the clap stuff... it was a real question. i'm just beginning to understand analoge basics.

• 3 months later...

Archived