IGNORED

Canadian Electronic Music (IDM etc)

Mossbot

I really can't seem to find an appropriate forum for this, so I hope posting here will be ok.

Hello, I just received word that my radio show has been approved for broadcast on Kootenay Co-op Radio in the Kootenay region of BC, Canada. The show will mainly focus on electronic music that is not usually "mainstream" such as house, brostep or any EDM that might be typical in an average nightclub. That's not to say it's "forbidden" or anything, it's just not the main focus. A lot of content posted here on WATMM (especially the featured artists) are very much in-line with the scope of the show.

However, because this is a live radio show broadcasted in Canada, I have to meet very specific guidelines on Canadian content. Basically, I have to play roughly 30% Canadian content on each show. I was hoping some people reading this could let me know of Canadian IDM/electronic producers that I may have missed. If you yourself are Canadian and producing music within this area, let me know and I'll almost certainly play some of your tracks.

You can read more about the rules I have to follow here, if you're interested.

Here is a rough list of artists I know to be Canadian that maybe you could help me expand?

Bogdan Raczynski (I know he lives/lived in Canada, considered Canadian?)

Bruce Haack

Caribou/Daphni

Tim Hecker

Venetian Snares/Last Step

I believe Amon Tobin is considered Canadian, although brazilian born. He lives in Quebec somewhere and has his citizenship.

I'm pretty sure Bogdan is travelling asia right now though, and isn't he romanian or polish?

I think Ilkae is Canadian too. Also you might want to feature Canadian artists that are forum residents. There are many awesome artists that are members of WATMM.

Zephyr Nova and Grvgltchr come to mind immediately as being Canadian but there are lots.

OH!

Kid Koala!

Awesome, had no idea Amon Tobin was based in Montreal. I'll check out the others you mentioned as well.

I'm pretty sure Bogdan is travelling asia right now though, and isn't he romanian or polish?

The only thing I can find mentioning he is Canadian is from this article from 2008: http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2008/03/bogdan-raczynski-studio "The Polish-born Canadian has been a longtime regular on the Rephlex label..."

Interesting! I knew it was Polish but didn't realize he came to Canada. Thanks for that.

Kid Koala is pretty popular, kind of sample based turntablism and scratching. Sorry I can't think of more. If I happen to think of some I'll pop by and update the thread. cheers

yeah he was living in toronto for a while. im not sure if he still is.

have you checked out the king deluxe or moodhut labels? both in the same sort of vein as what you are after i believe.

cloudface from moodhut is a personal fav:

https://soundcloud.com/mood-hut/mh001-cloudface-1

I believe Amon Tobin is considered Canadian, although brazilian born. He lives in Quebec somewhere and has his citizenship.

I think Ilkae is Canadian too. Also you might want to feature Canadian artists that are forum residents. There are many awesome artists that are members of WATMM.

Zephyr Nova and Grvgltchr come to mind immediately as being Canadian but there are lots.

OH!

Kid Koala!

Yeah Ilkae is :)

grimes

purity ring

braids

peaches

those are all pop musicians but they have at least a few tracks in their respective discogs that would fit in. go for the deep cuts so you don't play the same stuff the other fellas are eh wot wot

also, when i had a radio show i would usually just play a bunch of hella obscure stuff off the internet & say it was from canada. worked like a charm

Mathew Jonson. scrounging around discogs I haven't found anything as nice as his brand of techno. he is she and new identity are both fantastic, not idm but canadian as fuck

have you checked out the king deluxe or moodhut labels? both in the same sort of vein as what you are after i believe.

I'll check those out for sure, thanks.

can i pretend like I'm canadian? :)

Says you're from Halifax, works for me.

grimes

purity ring

braids

peaches

those are all pop musicians but they have at least a few tracks in their respective discogs that would fit in. go for the deep cuts so you don't play the same stuff the other fellas are eh wot wot

also, when i had a radio show i would usually just play a bunch of hella obscure stuff off the internet & say it was from canada. worked like a charm

Yeah, I need to dig deeper with grimes and peaches; the other two I need to check out.

If you can't prove it wasn't made in Canada, it must be Canadian right?

Mathew Jonson. scrounging around discogs I haven't found anything as nice as his brand of techno. he is she and new identity are both fantastic, not idm but canadian as fuck

Cool, I'll check it out.

I'll check those out for sure, thanks.

can i pretend like I'm canadian? :)

Says you're from Halifax, works for me.

grimes

purity ring

braids

peaches

Yeah, I need to dig deeper with grimes and peaches; the other two I need to check out.

If you can't prove it wasn't made in Canada, it must be Canadian right?

Cool, I'll check it out.

Wait, how can you see that I'm from halifax? just curious because i have my location hidden or whatever.

*nvm you saw it on my sound cloud lolz

Holy Fuck (the band).

Jessy Lanza. RnB might be a stretch but she does all her own production and is on Hyperdub. It's good stuff (imo).

Ryan Hemsworth is Canadian. I don't know his stuff too well but it seems like it might fit in with some of the hiphop/future beat kind of stuff.

There might have been a Canadian on Merck records I'm unaware of. Or Ghostly.

Total left field suggestion: Badbadnotgood. A lot of electronic music fans I know really enjoy these guys stuff (mostly because they started out with FlyLo and Hip-Hop covers. Their new album coming out soon seems to add more synthesizers to the mix as well.

Electroacoustic music is also pretty big in Canada. If you've got the time you could dig into Vancouver New Music or Canadian Electroacoustic Community. VNM holds festivals every year (Tim Hecker was also here for it last year). Might be a good way to spot up and comers.

I'm Canadian, but I'm a total amateur that doesn't finish his ideas :emotawesomepm9:

Thanks for the plug, SG!

Mossbot, my last album can be previewed here:

If that sounds like something you'd play, private message me and I'll send you a few of the better tracks. I've got another album finished that will be posted on bandcamp soon (for free!) but it is more ambient in nature. Will you be playing ambient music?

I think Solvent is in Toronto.

I think Cryptowen is too! Edit: no wait he's from Montreal!!! (sorry btw cryptboss I didn't forget about your choons just couldn't remember if you lived in CA or the US.. Also is your soundcloud different all the links are giving me "invalid URL") =(

I'm also Canadian but my tunes aren't good enough for broadcasting yet

I think Cryptowen is too! (sorry btw cryptboss I didn't forget about your choons just couldn't remember if you lived in TO or the US

yep yep i'm cancon (maritimes & mtl), don't have anything much online at the moment because I got all neurotic a while back & deleted all the old stuff. New stuff will go public at some point probably.

Loscil is from Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJnZmvlbPiA

... as are Skinny Puppy:

Prhizzm is from Ontario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR4EoZqU2rg

I am from Victoria, B.C. and would gladly send you some tracks via email if you're interested:

https://soundcloud.com/sweguno/eclipse-the-sky

Thanks for all the recommendations so far, I'll be checking all of them out. Keep them coming, I have no shortage of time.

If that sounds like something you'd play, private message me and I'll send you a few of the better tracks. I've got another album finished that will be posted on bandcamp soon (for free!) but it is more ambient in nature. Will you be playing ambient music?

I'll be playing a wide range of genres. I'm not sure if I'll theme my shows or have a mix each time. I'll shoot you a PM right now...

I am from Victoria, B.C. and would gladly send you some tracks via email if you're interested:

That would be great, I'll PM you my email.

Archived