IGNORED

Future Islands (did Irony officially break?)

sheatheman

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hipsters (mystifying word which puts a subculture before its true meaning, which is "decadent upper middle class youths who treat culture as a matter of private identity and consumption; a dominant note of a dominant demographic within a dominant social class") are never ironic, but dishonest. Irony needs a target to be ironic, and it also needs to take it down, while hipster irony is just fooling around in an aimless and tasteless way. Calling that "irony" is dishonest - the detachment that is involved in hipster irony is not irony, but consubstantial to upper middle class attitudes towards culture and life in general. It's the same detachment that produces the kind of stupid and horrible love songs hipster bands do.

This bloke? Solid lol.

I don't think there's anything ironic about the band itself in this case... doesn't strike me as tongue in cheek at all. I'm sure some listen for the sake of irony, but they're probably a minority. i could see my parents liking this. It's a band for people who like to see a front man really givin' 'er like his life depends on it, but without anything too risky going along with it. It's entertaining whether you genuinely like it or if you just want to laugh at how ridiculous it is as a spectacle. So it makes perfect sense why it would blow up the way it has.

I dunno what's going on, but I think I like it. It's like the frontman has drained the energy of the other band members to use for himself.

Guest abracadabra

These guys are fucking old. I saw them play a couple shows back in 2009. You guys are fucking behind and so is the rest of your ironic scrutiny.

Edit: I think they suck now. They sound the same as they did in 2009. First show I saw them was probably one of the most energetic and exciting shows I've been to. The second show was a shit-show. Moss of Aura (keyboard, computer dude in the band) has some interesting production, but it all ends up sounding saccharin at the end of the day.

love how this page moved from cultural analysis on hipsters straight to some ricky retardo shit about "i listened to future islands before they were cool," well played everybody.

Letterman performance critique: Awesome. The main thing that does it for me-- listen to this shit without watching the video. If you don't feel something, your heart is fucking broken. Perhaps it started off as a gimmick or whatever, but what results, is some sort of sincere connection with human expression. Expression doesn't even have to be sincere to be felt-- it just has to be expressed. Anything EXPRESSED FREELY AND FULLY, whether it be heartfelt or acting or a bullshit lie, is the highest form of human performance. Fake or real or poseur or whatever-- give that shit 100%, and it becomes a whole new level, where values of sincerity are surpassed by the passion of the human animal.

Letterman performance critique: Awesome. The main thing that does it for me-- listen to this shit without watching the video. If you don't feel something, your heart is fucking broken. Perhaps it started off as a gimmick or whatever, but what results, is some sort of sincere connection with human expression. Expression doesn't even have to be sincere to be felt-- it just has to be expressed. Anything EXPRESSED FREELY AND FULLY, whether it be heartfelt or acting or a bullshit lie, is the highest form of human performance. Fake or real or poseur or whatever-- give that shit 100%, and it becomes a whole new level, where values of sincerity are surpassed by the passion of the human animal.

:cisfor:

I prefer their side project Past Peninsulas which is exactly the same except the frontman dry humps a life sized mannequin of Morrissey on stage for the full duration of the performance. And it's every bit as passionate if not more so.

Archived