IGNORED

Hardware Sequencers

YEK

the octatrack and monomachine are pretty badass midi sequencers in their own right. They don't have the pad expression that Mpcs have but especially the octatrack is one of the most powerful hardware midi sequencers money can buy, even just for the arpeggiator alone. The octatrack is probably the newest hardcore/serious hardware sequencer out right now. I don't know of anything that's more beefy in terms of features.

Mmm i'd say the beatstep is surely the best option here in terms of size and bang for buck....still very happy with my Dark Time, but...*bites knuckle*

almost every knob movement he does to change the arp parameter can be 'p-locked', in elektron-speak this means that it can use the step sequencer to change that knob movement to a different value on each step.

you should look up the sequentix cirklon, fairly recent hardware sequencer.

Yeah, the Cirklon is the best new sequencer out there, I think it blows anything Elektron or if the water as far as sequencing goes. That said, the Cirklon is strictly a sequencer so if you're looking for something that can actually produce audio then an Octatrack would better suit you, obviously. But if you're wanting to sequence stuff via CV, MIDI, and run Dinsync then the Cirklon can't be beat, it's solid as all get out.

The octatrack is probably the newest hardcore/serious hardware sequencer out right now. I don't know of anything that's more beefy in terms of features.

Agree.

https://soundcloud.com/dancey-duncan/harsh-and-fuzzy

This track was done literally in 15 minutes and consists of only one pattern. OT is sequencing blofeld and mopho. Different scale quantizations for arp and bass and 3 presets for blofeld were assigned to 3 parts, which were switched during playback of this single pattern. Drums are yamaha rx5 samples + 808 kick played by OT

if u don't mind the "firmware" running on a computer, there's ableton's push (which is fucking great) and NI maschine (haven't tried it). both of these can sequence hardware if ur computer has a midi i/o

Yeah, the Cirklon is the current mac daddy of the sequencing world. The thing has five separate midi outs, perfect for keeping lots of things in sync. Also the breakout box has 16 CV and 8 gate outs for all your analogue stuff. The depth of the things it can do are amazing, it's not often you see sequencers that have an option to play steps back in brownian direction.

an octatrack being used to loop moog minitaur lines that are also being sequenced by the octatrack

dang, that was sick - seems like another thing to add to the wish list

Yeah, the Cirklon is the current mac daddy of the sequencing world. The thing has five separate midi outs, perfect for keeping lots of things in sync. Also the breakout box has 16 CV and 8 gate outs for all your analogue stuff. The depth of the things it can do are amazing, it's not often you see sequencers that have an option to play steps back in brownian direction.

How straight forward is it to program or record polyphonic stuff?

looks dead easy.

This is pretty much what I'd love to build. I saw an open source project that got abandoned to build something like this with a raspberry pi and arduino.

The pi would basically run python based sequencing software and send serial data to the arduino which would generate midi and handle all the control surface stuff. Shame it never got completed.

To record polyphonic stuff on the Cirklon you just create a new pattern, hit record and then mash your keyboard. You can also set up drum grids to do TR style step sequencing where you see a grid with all the drums on it, like on the TR707 screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you record CV Gate into the Cirklon? WOuld be cool to record 303 patterns. or other nonsense, and have full control

The capability exists in the hardware but it hasn't been implemented in the OS yet. Colin says it's on his list of features to be implemented.

Archived