IGNORED

Analog Bubblebath 5, Caustic Window LP, and Melodies from Mars for sale on Discogs

coconuthead

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I only had a friend working at Goldman Sachs. He could buy it in an instant.....and rip the crap out of it, carelessly...

* plays masters of the universe tune *

So Grant posted this link without any context whatsoever in the xlt topic about this sale:

' https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thudrumble/dj-qbert-extraterrestria-new-album-pre-order '

Draw your own conclusions. Must be Rephlex themselves selling these to finance future releases. At least, I hope that's the case.

its really not my business but if this is grant selling his copy, it just seems weird that he/they need cash that bad, to take the step to slap a pretty big price on a record, which imo they have every right to do and more power to them but it's also clearly going to look bad to some people. and yet it seems like all they would have had to do is get the rephlex site updated, get some new artists signed, new releases out, put some tiny effort into promoting them and having a presence as an actual label, and have those new things available for purchase at the site, and they would probably have more money rolling in than they do. but instead they run the label as if they hate the idea of labels, and have an aversion to popularity, attention, money, and being involved in any kind of music scene.

again, none of my business but it seems like a pretty weird situation going on. they can obviously do whatever they want to do, however they want to do it, and are. but maybe this is more of a washing of hands than a preparing to do more, kind of deal?

and yet it seems like all they would have had to do is get the rephlex site updated, get some new artists signed, new releases out, put some tiny effort into promoting them and having a presence as an actual label, and have those new things available for purchase at the site, and they would probably have more money rolling in than they do. but instead they run the label as if they hate the idea of labels, and have an aversion to popularity, attention, money, and being involved in any kind of music scene.

But promoting stuff is so hard and expensive in the age of social medias and internet forums like this one. It's all about the music, man. You can't have both.

its really not my business but if this is grant selling his copy, it just seems weird that he/they need cash that bad, to take the step to slap a pretty big price on a record, which imo they have every right to do and more power to them but it's also clearly going to look bad to some people. and yet it seems like all they would have had to do is get the rephlex site updated, get some new artists signed, new releases out, put some tiny effort into promoting them and having a presence as an actual label, and have those new things available for purchase at the site, and they would probably have more money rolling in than they do. but instead they run the label as if they hate the idea of labels, and have an aversion to popularity, attention, money, and being involved in any kind of music scene.

again, none of my business but it seems like a pretty weird situation going on. they can obviously do whatever they want to do, however they want to do it, and are. but maybe this is more of a washing of hands than a preparing to do more, kind of deal?

Agreed. I love the digilords but it almost wasn't worth going through the process of buying them from a shop that seemed made by people who don't want to be seen in public actually wanting to have customers or anything...

As far as record labels go, Fax was a much nicer experience to buy from, for example. You got music, curious freebies from his garden like a photo of bees or some seeds, and personalised correspondence with the artists. It was obviously the niche business of someone who loved what he was doing. Both seem like pretty cool, low key labels to me (Fax releases being limited to 500 copies each usually), and fetch crazy prices second hand, but Fax was much more fun to buy from than Rephlex. Which is a shame because I really like some of their music.

So Grant posted this link without any context whatsoever in the xlt topic about this sale:

' https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thudrumble/dj-qbert-extraterrestria-new-album-pre-order '

Draw your own conclusions. Must be Rephlex themselves selling these to finance future releases. At least, I hope that's the case.

Can you post a link to the thread where grant apparently posted that plz? I can't find it.

Can you post a link to the thread where grant apparently posted that plz? I can't find it.

In here...

http://xltronic.com/mb/120755/unreleased-caustic-window-lp-for-sale-on-discogscom

In here...

http://xltronic.com/mb/120755/unreleased-caustic-window-lp-for-sale-on-discogscom

Thanks. I think Grant's probably joking by making that post. lol

Yes! We need a proper rip off that LP. If i had to choose one track it would be D1 or B1 Muttley. I actually did a mix of that track not too long ago using live recordings while trying to give it that "Aphex" sound to it.

Track 1) called "muttley" by Richard.It features samples from "dastardly & Muttley" (Wacky Races Cartoon) starting off with Dastardly shouting "Muttley!" then Muttley the dog going "RashingFrashingWrarraFrarraWrash".

haha, classic Muttley

We all want some "new" Aphex but these are prohibitively expensive for most of us, so why the hell don't we Kickstarter this thing ? Everyone contributes the same amount, we purchase and all the owners get a professional rip of the album. Don't care what happens to the originals. We could let Joyrex have them, give them back to Grant or donate them to the Electronic Music Museum. If this is real its a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll put up $100 to any or each of the three albums for sale. Let's save these albums from Mike P's happy hammer and get some new tunes!

i propose an alternative

we make our own Caustic Window LP

watmm comp style. all track titles identical to the original and according to the descriptions given for them. people can contribute a track for whichever one they want to try to create, and then all the submissions are voted on, on a track by track basis. then when the final selections have been made, we have our own Caustic Window LP, for free.

We all want some "new" Aphex but these are prohibitively expensive for most of us, so why the hell don't we Kickstarter this thing ? Everyone contributes the same amount, we purchase and all the owners get a professional rip of the album. Don't care what happens to the originals. We could let Joyrex have them, give them back to Grant or donate them to the Electronic Music Museum. If this is real its a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'll put up $100 to any or each of the three albums for sale. Let's save these albums from Mike P's happy hammer and get some new tunes!

Mike said it's not him selling it.

I'm in... Can we post a vote to gauge interest?

Saying that, Rich/Grant may not want it to be heard so that could open a can of worms so to speak... Discuss

Saying that, Rich/Grant may not want it to be heard so that could open a can of worms so to speak... Discuss

This, also

i propose an alternative

we make our own Caustic Window LP

watmm comp style. all track titles identical to the original and according to the descriptions given for them. people can contribute a track for whichever one they want to try to create, and then all the submissions are voted on, on a track by track basis. then when the final selections have been made, we have our own Caustic Window LP, for free.

this, I'd definitely contribute.

Well if this guy is legit and has the connections to get Grant and Aphex to "prove" its real I think we could also ask for some sort of assurance they aren't going to kill the sale or demand the albums back given the prices involved.

Well if this guy is legit and has the connections to get Grant and Aphex to "prove" its real I think we could also ask for some sort of assurance they aren't going to kill the sale or demand the albums back given the prices involved.

A kickstarter sounds good, but it just ruins the whole vibe of it. If someone owns it, or buys it, then they should just rip it onto the web without any money incentive IMO

Also a £13k sale price is bit of a joke. Unless it is RDJ himself selling it, then he must truly think it's worth that price. :music:

A kickstarter sounds good, but it just ruins the whole vibe of it. If someone owns it, or buys it, then they should just rip it onto the web without any money incentive IMO

Also a £13k sale price is bit of a joke. Unless it is RDJ himself selling it, then he must truly think it's worth that price. :music:

But why should they, if they spend all of their own outraegous amount of money on it. This breaks it into a more manageable price for each of us and is, I would would assume, on more solid legal ground as we would each own an interest in the album and then could make a copy of the album for ourselves. Also the $13,500 is US dollars and there is a "Make an Offer" button so the seller would likely take less.

But why should they, if they spend all of their own outraegous amount of money on it. This breaks it into a more manageable price for each of us and is, I would would assume, on more solid legal ground as we would each own an interest in the album and then could make a copy of the album for ourselves. Also the $13,500 is US dollars and there is a "Make an Offer" button so the seller would likely take less.
For whatever reason, Rich doesn't appear to want it out there, in the public domain. That should be respected imo.

But if a group of people chipped in equal amounts to purchase the vinyl, would we have a right to own our own ripped copy? Noting the change in the law to burn CDs from music you own this week.

Oh and did the seller change the listing to "make an offer?"

I hadn't noticed that before.

Guest Barung

I asked the seller how did he get those records, and if he was in touch with RDJ himself. I also asked for how much he would sell the mfm (Mr Men) LP, and if the tracks were the same as the ones leaked from the famous cassette. I'm hoping for an answer since yesterday, but maybe I asked too much, or maybe he's just borrowing that camera.

Archived