IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

Yeah lol. It's one thing to buy unreleased work and play it yourself in your own home... Taking money from hundreds of people to purchase and then rip and distribute the work is a bit :crazy:

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is cool and all, but who's the tricky bastard who gets to keep the vinyl itself? seems all good for the digital rip but if we all chip in the same amount, i think the vinyl itself should be thrown into a shredder and everyone gets a little chunk of it. thats the only way id donate!

I would contribute, too...

but I think this is all a bit dubious:

Why Discogs?

Why hasn't this been sold, yet? At least some crazy Japanese Collector would pay for it in a minute?!

Why isn't this magic-markered by Richard?

Why the 5th Test Pressing? (there where only 4) / seems to me a bit like a Bootleg, if this is legit...

Yes 100% - thanks for opening a thread Joyrex

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but could we not auction it off and send the money to a charity agreed by the forum?

Everyone's a winner then :)

Oh and btw, you can send funds via PayPal gift so that there aren't any fees involved. It's at least something to think about.

Why Discogs?

Why hasn't this been sold, yet? At least some crazy Japanese Collector would pay for it in a minute?!

Why the 5th Test Pressing? (there where only 4) / seems to me a bit like a Bootleg, if this is legit...

it screams bootleg to me. its kind of funny how on the site, it says 11 people already own it.

it screams bootleg to me. its kind of funny how on the site, it says 11 people already own it.

Discogs is always full of that silliness - Supposedly 63 have Boards of Canada's Closes Vol.1 on tape and 48 on CD!

So, as most of you may already know, someone on Discogs has finally decided to offer the legendary unreleased Caustic Window LP (CAT023) for sale. There are plenty of threads about this release if you are unaware of the history.

The seller is asking 13,500.00USD for this 2xLP test pressing, and several people suggested everyone chipping in and buying the album in exchange for a digital rip of the album.

I am willing as owner and administrator of WATMM to head such a venture, with the understanding that any and all monies collected in excess of the asking price will go straight to Richard D. James - this is his work, and is copyrighted, despite not being official released.

At this point, I think 25.00 would be a reasonable amount for each person to pay (13,500 / 25.00 = 540 persons). This would entitle a contributor to a high quality vinyl rip of the LP, in whatever format(s) deemed appropriate. They would also be required to pledge not to distribute the tracks elsewhere to anyone else.

Why Do This?

I think any Aphex Twin fan (myself included) would dearly love for Richard to release any new material, and for whatever reasons he hasn't yet, this is an opprotunity for the fans to let Richard know there is a demand for even his older material. This may not mesh well with Richard's personal wishes (there was probably a reason he didn't commercially release this), but since this is fan-driven, if anything, it will convey to him and the labels the fans are willing to support their favourite artists in unique wayss. This may even prompt Richard's contemporaries to follow suit.

What If This Doesn't Work?

If for whatever reason we don't reach the goal, or for some unforseen legal issue this gets halted, etc., any person who contributed will get a refund, minus any fees PayPal may charge for any transactions to do so.

What's Next?

Please vote in the attached poll so we can guage interest, and also discuss any aspects of doing this. I'm also going to announce via the Official WATMM Twitter Channel this to bring attention to this endeavour.

Thank You!

Why Discogs?

Bootleg? How? Nobody's got it, except for the few Braindance elite who never shared it. You're paying to hear the music.

Why Discogs? It's a fine marketplace, better then eBay imo.

Why should it be magic-markered? The inscription on the centre of the vinyl that Mike P. describes match the photo, that's pretty legit.

Why isn't it sold yet? It's 13.000 dollar for some old not-deemed-good-enough-to-be-released Aphex tracks on 2 slabs of vinyl, that's why.

Anyway, I hope Grant is behind this, or anyone related to Rephlex, so the money goes straight into Rephlex releases and/or Aphex. That'd be double worth the cash.

That's a good question - I suppose we could auction it off afterwards to the highest bidder (again, money going to Richard) on Ebay.

or auction it off and then redistribute the earnings back to everyone that paid into it!!!

muahahahaha free caustic window lp for us!

I was thinking this too but it goes against the let's give Rich money part. I think it'd be okay though since Rich doesn't even want money for this stuff.

Who says Richard does or does not want the money? If he didn't care about the money, then he's free to give it away/back however he wishes. I'm just concerned he's compensated for his work.

Ah, very cool to see this materialize. Thanks Joyrex for arranging this! I proposed it as a joke at first, but why not actually? I'm definitely in.

First step would be to contact the seller I guess, to see if he'd be up for this / maybe help, maybe to see if it's Grant and if the cash can be delivered to Richard? Does Richard even know about this auction?

Are you planning to make an official kickstarter page for it too Joyrex? It seems like Grant was aiming at the same thing (see the xltronic post).

I was thinking to give the record back to Rephlex itself, but I couldn't care less what happens to it after it gets digitally ripped to pieces.

Already contacted the seller - this is a Rephlex-sanctioned sale of the album, so he's clear to sell it. He has no opinion either way on who buys this.

I suppose I could do a Kickstarter - never did one before, so I'll have to read up on how it works, etc. I was going to do it all through WATMM/PayPal to make it simple as possible.

I think selling the record (again) on Ebay to the highest bidder and funnel those funds again towards Richard is the fairest thing to do.

this is quite funny, considering the reaction to Mike P and his selling of the tapes.

There is a BIG difference here - Rephlex gave this guy the OK to sell this unreleased test pressing - AFAIK, BOC never condoned the selling of those tapes.

i'm interested to see how this goes and kind of hope that enough interest is shown, although i'm not sure i see it coming off (i'm thinking about Old Tunes, prince murat, more recent Mike P saga, etc..

Was thinking about the latter actually.... particularly this:

And for those wondering why I'm so fervent about this: Despite the fact I own these releases myself,I would love for BoC to release these in some format, as there are some truly great tracks, and the sale and almost-certain illegal distribution of these may prevent that from happening. For me, it really is "all about the music". Why do you think I run this website and stick my neck out like this repeatedly? I have no other stake in this than the music, and spreading that love of it to others.

Unless there's no other objections, I think it best this thread gets closed.

glad I'm not the only one to notice the clear and blatant dissonance here...

See above - this is Rephlex-sanctioned, so as long as they are cool with it being sold, the only question now is are they OK with the music on it being distributed to those who chipped in to buy it? Unlike the BOC tapes sale (which there were no plans to give anything back to the artists who created the music), the artist in question directly benefits from this. I guess I'll check with Rephlex/Grant to see what they think of it.

this is cool and all, but who's the tricky bastard who gets to keep the vinyl itself? seems all good for the digital rip but if we all chip in the same amount, i think the vinyl itself should be thrown into a shredder and everyone gets a little chunk of it. thats the only way id donate!

As mentioned, the vinyl would then be re-auctioned on Ebay to the highest bidder, and those proceeds would go to Richard.

Why Discogs?

Everything with the seller is legit, and apparently not all the copies (I have never seen GWC or RDJs copies) are marked with magic marker - only Mike P and Cylob's are (to my knowledge). There also seems to be more than just the 4 test pressings (at least 5 in this case).

Why Discogs?

You can claim you own anything on Discogs, so don't go by that.

I'm going to send an email to Grant and see what he thinks of our plan...

Joyrex, I'm just thinking 560 people is maybe a little ambitious??? It also means a much greater likely-hood of it getting leaked.

Maybe mark the thread as votes need to be in by Sunday? Whoever voted yes can be asked if they would pay equal amounts to fund the purchase?

so the $13,500 asking price on Discogs, is all that money actually going to Richard? if not, then the artist isn't getting any direct benefit at all, except for the unlikely funds that spill over.

unless of course, it's Richard himself that's selling it for that crazy price, in which case, fair play.

Joyrex, I'm just thinking 560 people is maybe a little ambitious??? It also means a much greater likely-hood of it getting leaked.

Maybe mark the thread as votes need to be in by Sunday? Whoever voted yes can be asked if they would pay equal amounts to fund the purchase?

You are trying to tell me there's only 560 Aphex Twin fans who would want to own this album? I think the number is far higher, TBH. I know with Kickstarter there is a time limit for entries, so perhaps that would spur people to step up.

Maybe there's a way if the amount exceeds the 13,500 we can reduce the committment amount and refund the difference to everyone? I think that would get messy. I think the amount is fair (25.00) considering the uniqueness of the situation.

Here's the thing - this is a way for the aritst to at least get something back for their work - surely anyone who buys this (besides us) is going to leak it online (perhaps not, considering how much they are willing to pay), so why not give fans a semi-legitimate way of supporting their favourite artist AND getting rare tracks?

Of course, the big issue here is rights - nobody has the right to distribute copyrighted tracks without the copyright holder's consent, so if Richard/Rephlex say nay to this, then it will be a no-go. This is why there's a discussion about this and not a Kickstarter page or similar already.

Nah, we buy. original seller gets monies. we get copies of the music. JR resells and gives money to Richard.

Personally, I think that is sort of shortsighted. I mean, if we can pool 13.5K then let's get more shit. Buy this, then buy AB5, then buy MFM. After all the resells let's get something else.

so the $13,500 asking price on Discogs, is all that money actually going to Richard? if not, then the artist isn't getting any direct benefit at all, except for the unlikely funds that spill over.

unless of course, it's Richard himself that's selling it for that crazy price, in which case, fair play.

No - the money would be going to the owner, which he has the right to sell this - the excesses (from the initial sale and certainly the Ebay auction following) would go to Richard as compensation for his work - better than nothing and the tracks getting ripped by the eventual new owner (if they decide to do it), right?

The seller is not Richard, but does have Rephlex's permission to sell it.

Nah, we buy. original seller gets monies. we get copies of the music. JR resells and gives money to Richard.

Personally, I think that is sort of shortsighted. I mean, if we can pool 13.5K then let's get more shit. Buy this, then buy AB5, then buy MFM. After all the resells let's get something else.

We may consider doing that, assuming we get the blessings of those involved - perhaps have different levels for different releases?

25.00 - CWLP

30.00 - CWLP+ABB5

50.00 - CWLP,ABB5,MFM

I kinda hope Rephlex just turns around and puts the stuff up for sale on Rephlex.com - that way the fans get what they want, and can support the aritst/label. It wouldn't damage the sale of the physical releases that much, since most collectors buy these things to say they own it - the music itself is a nice byproduct of that.

You just can't control the leak factor. I don't know why anyone cares about it if they feel they've been adequately compensated but that shit will spread like wildfire with no way to stop it. It's just the age we live in.

But at least the fans who legitmately contributed will be compensating the artist - it's the same with any release these days, really - there are those who will legitimately buy it, and there will be those who will download it illegally.

You are trying to tell me there's only 560 Aphex Twin fans who would want to own this album? I think the number is far higher, TBH. I know with Kickstarter there is a time limit for entries, so perhaps that would spur people to step up.

Maybe there's a way if the amount exceeds the 13,500 we can reduce the committment amount and refund the difference to everyone? I think that would get messy. I think the amount is fair (25.00) considering the uniqueness of the situation.

Here's the thing - this is a way for the aritst to at least get something back for their work - surely anyone who buys this (besides us) is going to leak it online (perhaps not, considering how much they are willing to pay), so why not give fans a semi-legitimate way of supporting their favourite artist AND getting rare tracks?

Of course, the big issue here is rights - nobody has the right to distribute copyrighted tracks without the copyright holder's consent, so if Richard/Rephlex say nay to this, then it will be a no-go. This is why there's a discussion about this and not a Kickstarter page or similar already.

Worldwide, definitely.

I was thinking if it was just a forum thing, I mean over on the other thread there didn't seem to be too much interest but time will tell..

So why buy ABB5 & MFM then? There are already decent rips available... (and at least one WATMM Member owns ABB5)

Same reason you would go buy an album's official release, despite there being rips easily available - support the artist.

Worldwide, definitely.

I was thinking if it was just a forum thing, I mean over on the other thread there didn't seem to be too much interest but time will tell..

If this is greenlit I will certainly do my damnest to promote the hell out of it - and I am sure once the media outlets (Pitchfork, FACT, etc.) get wind of it, there will be even more exposure.

Archived