IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

What on earth was that AFX - Tape Trax thing that leaked a year or so back ?

(EDIT this - http://rareafx.wordpress.com/unreleased-2/afx-tape-trax/ wonder if any of the Caustic Window LP stuff was this. Some of it does sound kind 'cautic'-y)

no Wacky Races sample afaik, no cunt and no phlaps either.

Sorry, worded my post badly - I meant: I wonder if some of the tracks from Tape Trax end up being on the Caustic Window LP

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(EDIT this - http://rareafx.wordpress.com/unreleased-2/afx-tape-trax/ wonder if any of the Caustic Window LP stuff was this. Some of it does sound kind 'cautic'-y)

Sorry, worded my post badly - I meant: I wonder if some of the tracks from Tape Trax end up being on the Caustic Window LP

That's a good question. The fact that there was a test pressing is an interesting factor: was it a shelved album or simply a white label for playing out live? If the latter then I bet the tracks could overlap. If not, then it might be more "finished" material than the Joyrex tape.

That's a good question. The fact that there was a test pressing is an interesting factor: was it a shelved album or simply a white label for playing out live? If the latter then I bet the tracks could overlap. If not, then it might be more "finished" material than the Joyrex tape.

I read somewhere that CW LP wasn't released as RDJ/GWC wanted to focus on other artists to release via Rephlex, I could be wrong though...

Some of it sounds legit. Clever fake perhaps?

Not fake. Joyrex_Tape

As for the Caustic Window LP, a few of the tracks (Cunt, Phlaps, Muttley, at least one other) have been heard elsewhere. Two are rare comp tracks, Muttley has been spotted and recreated by fans, and Mike played part of the LP for a DJ set.

Mike P also described it back in 99, here's one of many copies of the text: http://everything2.com/title/CAT023

Fucking hell, it was September 14th, 1999? I thought it was in 2000/2001... man, my memory is getting bad these days!

AFX* ‎– Analogue Bubblebath 4

pissflaps February 22, 2005

edited over 9 years ago

ha the screaming is what makes it!
brilliant in a club ,everyone always screams along to it,
hard big solid beats which puts venetian to shame,slow his tracks down to this tempo and they will sound thin cold and boring this sound big phat and chunky and has a lot of big balls id say.
lovely release
AFX* ‎– Analord 01

pissflaps

February 13, 2005

edited over 9 years ago

brilliant! apparently all created with the sequencer on the lable picture mc-4
So its a really simple style but really warm,
pretty amazing really as my friend had one of these sequencers and it was very hard to program,very tight timing though,
mc4 acid has some mental acid noises,essential record sure to be legendary soon...

The most important question? Why? Would the answer actually make some significant difference? There is a seller who might or might not be directly related to the Rephlex camp. What more is there to it? I'm more interested in what will happen if this is going to turn into an even bigger success as it already is. More kickstarters? Could we kickstart the crap out of RDJ to grant us a one day license to grab digital copies from his entire vault? Or just a new album? A DJ set with only unreleased material?

...i dunno

Edit: as a response to the pre-edit post of mr martin

It would be pretty aggressive to raise a kickstarter with the intention of squeezing something out of someone like that. It could be taken the wrong way.

The most important question? Why? Would the answer actually make some significant difference? There is a seller who might or might not be directly related to the Rephlex camp. What more is there to it?

Well, I can see how there would be a big difference between supporting someone related to the artist or label vs. encouraging extortionate prices on Discogs by using Kickstarter to buy a record from some random price-gouging knob. But with the approval of Rephlex and considering how limited the initial distribution of this record was I'm relatively confident we're not doing the latter.

It's people like EOD that should be picking up the grammys not the seat warmers in sequin and bakalite tuffies in terry towel that walk up for the gongs every year. It's a shame really. I hope that they would somewhat promote their stable of ace blokes a little more than they do.

fuck the grammys.

people want shit music let the media provide it for them.

if people want EOD, then the media will have to provide EOD.

personally, I like it how it is.

I think he just meant they should get more recognition, even if it means promotion or just economic help. Rephlex should put these guys into retirement. Like, why should these guys which are so talented even need to work, while others making the most worthless music out there make millions and have top of the line equipement? All these guys (specially the young up and comers like Wisp, Monolith, Steinvord, EOD..) should be put into retirement inmediately, so they don't ever need to work, followed by providing them with all kinds of gear so they can keep developing awesome Rephlexian music beyond RDJ's life (which I hope lives forever). In fact RDJ should do it himself, isn't he a millonaire after all. They should create some sort of Rephlex Camp where they live together, just like in the old times when RDJ, Tom and others, when all these guys shared a flat and released a lot of stuff. Remember RDJ came up with RDJ album style tracks when he got influenced by Tom's jungle tracks? Good times.

Otherwise most people signed by a label like Rephlex, can't fully develop their potential. Hell, if I could I would turn a lot of underground artists I know into full time musicians just for the sake of hearing music I like more often. When it comes to what we know as Braindance im limited to a very small amount of artists that are good enough for me to bother.

Possibly just a failing of the label.

AFX* ‎– Analogue Bubblebath 4

pissflaps February 22, 2005

edited over 9 years ago

ha the screaming is what makes it!

brilliant in a club ,everyone always screams along to it,

hard big solid beats which puts venetian to shame,slow his tracks down to this tempo and they will sound thin cold and boring this sound big phat and chunky and has a lot of big balls id say.

lovely release

AFX* ‎– Analord 01

pissflaps

February 13, 2005

edited over 9 years ago

brilliant! apparently all created with the sequencer on the lable picture mc-4

So its a really simple style but really warm,

pretty amazing really as my friend had one of these sequencers and it was very hard to program,very tight timing though,

mc4 acid has some mental acid noises,essential record sure to be legendary soon...

AFX* - Smojphace EPFebruary 13, 2005
edited over 9 years ago

awesome record,people are only just beginning to appreciate this record,I`ve heard a lot come around fully to it.

ktpa1,2 I think are not supposed to be extreme noise tracks just like an interesting study in some weird noises

anyone who has heard this run the place ,record on a dancefloor can tell you it works and totally goes off!

having it,slamming remix.

i think it was almost released to sort the wheat from the chaff in his fans,top move ! It needed to be done.

I don't have a credit card but can pay with paypal. Is it possible to deal something with someone here ? Like I send you the 16$ + Paypal fees and you register my e-mail for the digital download + return the "payback" money when it comes (I take charge of the paypal fees there too). Would be lovely!

just PM me if you're up for it

We're not?

Sure we are. If you want to cash in on some ultra rare record, kickstarter is a far better idea than a regular auction. Now everyone remotely interested can throw some money at it. Although the only reason this kickstarter was allowed, was because of the explicit support of rdj and gwc. This way, the random knob and rdj/ gwc get some cash.

In all honesty, it's a bit hypocritical to explicitly not want to release the album, but to want to cash in on it regardless. This kickstarter is basically the official release itself. And it just happens to be that some random knob is going to cash in on it as well. Well played, i guess.

I'm sure I might be missing your point though.

Edit:@manmower

We're not?

Sure we are. If you want to cash in on some ultra rare record, kickstarter is a far better idea than a regular auction. Now everyone remotely interested can throw some money at it. Although the only reason this kickstarter was allowed, was because of the explicit support of rdj and gwc. This way, the random knob and rdj/ gwc get some cash.

In all honesty, it's a bit hypocritical to explicitly not want to release the album, but to want to cash in on it regardless. This kickstarter is basically the official release itself. And it just happens to be that some random knob is going to cash in on it as well. Well played, i guess.

I'm sure I might be missing your point though.

Edit:@manmower

Yeah my assumption was that these records weren't given out to "random knobs" in the first place. Unless it changed hands over the years, but either way Rephlex seem fine with the seller getting the money. So as much as I hate to see unreasonably priced music, I don't really feel dirty for having backed the Kickstarter.

I don't have a credit card but can pay with paypal. Is it possible to deal something with someone here ? Like I send you the 16$ + Paypal fees and you register my e-mail for the digital download + return the "payback" money when it comes (I take charge of the paypal fees there too). Would be lovely!

just PM me if you're up for it

You mean you'd pay me $ 16, and $ 16 does not go to the artist / producer / Volunteering, but go into my pocket and it will be as if I'd not buy them or do business 2 resell them. okay .. hope in your dreams! Rather see Joyrex! I don't want to take profit of it...

" I kinda hope Rephlex just turns around and puts the stuff up for sale on Rephlex.com - that way the fans get what they want, and can support the aritst/label. It wouldn't damage the sale of the physical releases that much, since most collectors buy these things to say they own it - the music itself is a nice byproduct of that."

I wish they would pull their heads out of the ground and take a look at how successful fsoldigital.com has been, they release their own music on their own label and their own terms, and according to Brian have surprised even them with the demand for their old work, hence 7 volumes of Archives and counting. Wake up Rephlex, you can't fight the internet forever!

Archived