IGNORED

Would You Pay For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP

Joyrex

Crowdfunding Aphex Twin  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Be Willing To Pay Up To 25.00USD For A Digital Rip of The Unreleased Caustic Window LP?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but not 25.00

So, I already have 192kbps copies of MFM and AB5. Are we looking at 320kbps copies if we throw down on this or something different?

Some custom artwork or something would make the entire package a lot more desirable to people. OR something to sort of give it a unique flavor. Maybe Richard or Grant could provide something seeing as how the profits of the resell will go directly to Richard. Just an idea.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, Richard is dead broke and needs us to make some $$$ for him?

hey, kids grown out of clothes real quick

So, I already have 192kbps copies of MFM and AB5. Are we looking at 320kbps copies if we throw down on this or something different?

27bit WOP format files.

Some custom artwork or something would make the entire package a lot more desirable to people. OR something to sort of give it a unique flavor. Maybe Richard or Grant could provide something seeing as how the profits of the resell will go directly to Richard. Just an idea.

I've already mentioned to Grant about the possiblity of getting direct source files (queue raucus laughter)...

Richard doesn't want money for this because if he did want money for this he'd have released it. So why not keep the price as low as possible for everyone involved?

this doesn't sound legal

It's not - hence why nothing's been done *yet* - this is purely to guage reaction, ask the powers that be for a blessing, and see if people are genuinely interested in doing this.

I feel a bit bad since this is all being done without Richard's say in the matter (so far) - I'm not sure as an artist how I would feel if someone say purchased some of my artwork and then proceeded to distribute copies to anyone who chipped in - then again, if I knew my work was in demand and there's folks willing to do this, I'd make sure they could legitimately buy a print though me or my distributor versus a fan-driven movement.

But, if I got the proceeds from this and required zero effort on my part, I might be more open to the idea. I guess it all boils down to how Richard feels about these old tracks, and if he cares if they see the light of day or not (I suspect he does), and via what method.

so if the only people in possession of this record are mike p, cylob, grant and richard - which one of them is selling?

Could it be a "back up copy" owned by Rich or Grant but from the Rephlex archive?

Richard doesn't want money for this because if he did want money for this he'd have released it. So why not keep the price as low as possible for everyone involved?

I don't think you can assume that - Richard didn't release this for whatever reasons, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't want to be compensated for his work (see my previous post for a scenario).

He may end up putting the kibosh on the whole thing simply because he doesn't care about any potential compensation, AND does NOT want this music released (for whatever reasons). If that's what ends up happening, then I respect his decision, but I fear that whoever buys that LP may rip it and then it's online for free.

But as a fan I'm also not going to lie and say I wouldn't download it either if it was available - but I would rather legitimately buy it than go that route if at all possible.

edit: @ calx - I guess...always thought there were only ever 4 copies in existence though

edit edit: actually doesn't matter how many copies there were really, only 4 people were supposed to have access to a copy. could be richard had another 50 in the attic, but if nobody ever gets to hear them it's kind of academic. i suppose someone could have nicked a copy...

so if the only people in possession of this record are mike p, cylob, grant and richard - which one of them is selling?

Could it be a "back up copy" owned by Rich or Grant but from the Rephlex archive?

Apparently there were more than just the 4 copies - the seller claims this is the 5th test pressing, so it's safe to assume that there were 5 test pressings made and one was given to this guy back in '94. AFAIK, it's not any of the known owners, and I am confident after speaking with him the whole thing is legitmate.

This is similar to how I came into possession of my BOC Maxima cassette and MFM cassette.

My guess the seller is either mike or cylob. both are on the release so they have testpressings and both are very likely to sell these (mike did with boc already and cylob does not seem to care much about anything lately)

Apparently there were more than just the 4 copies - the seller claims this is the 5th test pressing, so it's safe to assume that there were 5 test pressings made and one was given to this guy back in '94. AFAIK, it's not any of the known owners, and I am confident after speaking with him the whole thing is legitmate.

This is similar to how I came into possession of my BOC Maxima cassette and MFM cassette.

Nice, thanks.

Mike already said it isn't him. I'm sure there are other people who have gotten random copies of stuff from Richard.

My guess the seller is either mike or cylob. both are on the release so they have testpressings and both are very likely to sell these (mike did with boc already and cylob does not seem to care much about anything lately)

No, Mike P has already stated it's not him (besides, his copy has Richard's handwriting on it, as does Cylob's). These are clean so it leaves only Richard or Grant, and I'm certain it's not them.

I don't think you can assume that - Richard didn't release this for whatever reasons, but it doesn't mean he wouldn't want to be compensated for his work (see my previous post for a scenario).

Not releasing his work does mean that he doesn't want to be compensated for his work. If he does want money for this stuff, we'll find out soon enough because he'll put the tracks online somewhere upon finding out about this thread.

Also, would be really cool if this took off, but not leaking it once the effort is successful and you have the tracks is pretty dickish IMO.

Not releasing his work does mean that he doesn't want to be compensated for his work. If he does want money for this stuff, we'll find out soon enough because he'll put the tracks online somewhere upon finding out about this thread.

Also, would be really cool if this took off, but not leaking it once the effort is successful and you have the tracks is pretty dickish imo.

Haha, you've not been keeping up with electronic music artists peculiar habits and eccentricities, have you? Chances are he says no to this, and that's the end of it.

I'm just thinking logically. Maybe that's not the right thing to do with AFX but it doesn't change my point that giving money to Rich as a compensation for his work is really silly.

I'm just thinking logically. Maybe that's not the right thing to do with AFX but it doesn't change my point that giving money to Rich as a compensation for his work is really silly.

:cerious::cerious::cerious::cerious:

Archived