IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of a video of the record spinning round, YouTube style?

I'm serious, I want to listen to my Caustic rip and look at the vinyl spinning round.

I can't be the only one that would enjoy that.

Thanks for sorting this all out JR and everyone

---------

I guess it would have to be a silent video. Errrrrrr

Edited by ClickAstly

I'm serious, I want to listen to my Caustic rip and look at the vinyl spinning round.

---------

I THINK A VIDEO IS A GREAT IDEA.

Since there are a lot of excess funds I think all the Kickstarter supporters would love to see a professionally shot and edited video that shows the the package containing the record being opened, the process of it being ripped, and even an interview with the professionals that rip it to explain why those chose the equipment and process they did. Audio (potentially from the rip) could be added in during editing. If hosted on YouTube or Vimeo it could stay there indefinitely so we could all look back on it years down the road and remember this crazy adventure. If people like this idea I'm thinking Joyrex could get estimates and demo reels from a few good video production companies in his area and pick the best one to produce it. Maybe an interview with him could be in the video too!

What does everyone else (especially Kickstarter backers) think of this idea???

Then down the track when they make look back at the elek scene documentaries, they'll have to use our video cause there aren't very many videos about this sort of thing really, which is odd given that everyone and their family has an HD video facility in their pocket now. I guess it's like that with every underground scene though, BBC doesn't bother, we don't have a moving visuals documentation of our pivotal moment. Plus then those future look back documentary makers will have to pay royalties to watmm, heh. Might make our money back eventually.

I think all this fluff is completely unnecessary and just wastes money

I also agree with osci. Cause it's more sensible and less of a fuck around. We really need a quick turn around time on this, plus we don't have the ability to muck around with the money very much cause it's going elsewhere. Still though i like the concept, even if the application is a little beyond us, well unless someone wanted to volunteer.

---------

Since there are a lot of excess funds I think all the Kickstarter supporters would love to see a professionally shot and edited video that shows the the package containing the record being opened, the process of it being ripped, and even an interview with the professionals that rip it to explain why those chose the equipment and process they did. Audio (potentially from the rip) could be added in during editing. If hosted on YouTube or Vimeo it could stay there indefinitely so we could all look back on it years down the road and remember this crazy adventure. If people like this idea I'm thinking Joyrex could get estimates and demo reels from a few good video production companies in his area and pick the best one to produce it. Maybe an interview with him could be in the video too!

White I appreciate the enthusiasm, the logistical realities are unfortunately there:

• The record won't be recorded until after the Kickstarter closes and is funded (aka money in the hands of Rephlex)
  • The studio unfortunately won't even allow attending the session - just how they work (which I respect)
  • I won't have the record until after the first two events happen, and at that time I'll be busy getting the digital distro set up and ensuring everyone gets their download codes.

You are Grant Wilson-Claridge and I claim my 5 pounds! :emotawesomepm9:

I also agree with osci. Cause it's more sensible and less of a fuck around. We really need a quick turn around time on this, plus we don't have the ability to muck around with the money very much cause it's going elsewhere. Still though i like the concept, even if the application is a little beyond us, well unless someone wanted to volunteer.

Perhaps after I get the record to put on Ebay, I can put together a little video - no promises, though.

---------

White I appreciate the enthusiasm, the logistical realities are unfortunately there:

• The record won't be recorded until after the Kickstarter closes and is funded (aka money in the hands of Rephlex)
  • The studio unfortunately won't even allow attending the session - just how they work (which I respect)
  • I won't have the record until after the first two events happen, and at that time I'll be busy getting the digital distro set up and ensuring everyone gets their download codes.

Perhaps after I get the record to put on Ebay, I can put together a little video - no promises, though.

Joyrex: All of your points make sense, and I totally understand that the thought of adding one more thing to your plate doesn't sound appealing.

Since the Kickstarter is in your name I assumed the money goes to you and you cut the check to Rephlex. With that being the case it seems like it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to list the production of a short video as part of the Kickstarter expenses (since most Kickstarter projects do have videos).

I work in video production full-time and would be happy to volunteer my services for free because I still feel that something nice and professional could be created despite the logistical challenges you listed. I live in the Chicago area so I wouldn't be able to help with the filming but I'm happy to produce, direct, and/or edit the video so you don't have to deal with the hassle if that's what you prefer. It would be nice to hire an experienced, professional video crew in your area with a great cam, lens, lighting, and audio equipment to film interviews and cool shots at the ripping studio (even if they can't shoot the actual ripping process), and the studio may even appreciate the international exposure. Since I'd handle everything else for free the filming crew would be the only expense, and I'd estimate that that would be less than $1,000.

If I'm editing the video I can get you a quick turnaround if that's needed.

I truly believe a lot of backers would really appreciate a quality video keepsake archived online to celebrate this unlikely story about "one of the holy grails of Electronic Music". It would be a great added bonus for all Kickstarter supporters and a true testimate to what the WATMM community achieved.

Let me know what you think.

---------

Joyrex: All of your points make sense, and I totally understand that the thought of adding one more thing to your plate doesn't sound appealing.

Since the Kickstarter is in your name I assumed the money goes to you and you cut the check to Rephlex. With that being the case it seems like it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to list the production of a short video as part of the Kickstarter expenses (since most Kickstarter projects do have videos).

I work in video production full-time and would be happy to volunteer my services for free because I still feel that something nice and professional could be created despite the logistical challenges you listed. I live in the Chicago area so I wouldn't be able to help with the filming but I'm happy to produce, direct, and/or edit the video so you don't have to deal with the hassle if that's what you prefer. It would be nice to hire an experienced, professional video crew in your area with a great cam, lens, lighting, and audio equipment to film interviews and cool shots at the ripping studio (even if they can't shoot the actual ripping process), and the studio may even appreciate the international exposure. Since I'd handle everything else for free the filming crew would be the only expense, and I'd estimate that that would be less than $1,000.

If I'm editing the video I can get you a quick turnaround if that's needed.

I truly believe a lot of backers would really appreciate a quality video keepsake archived online to celebrate this unlikely story about "one of the holy grails of Electronic Music". It would be a great added bonus for all Kickstarter supporters and a true testimate to what the WATMM community achieved.

Let me know what you think.

The money is going to me, but then I hand it off to Rephlex, who pays the seller of the record their agreed upon amount, takes the record to the studio to be converted, and then ships me the record.

I appreciate the offer of help though - let's see how things go and possibly revisit this later.

I like the video idea, but I agree with making the whole process at simple as possible. Unfortunately it appears the studio doesn't allow anyone present during the recording session. Maybe its feasible for the studio to use a camcorder to get us some video of the rip, at least.

I like the video idea, but I agree with making the whole process at simple as possible. Unfortunately it appears the studio doesn't allow anyone present during the recording session. Maybe its feasible for the studio to use a camcorder to get us some video of the rip, at least.

It's unlikely they'd have the extra hands on staff to be doing that - besides, it will be just the record spinning on some very high-end equipment, I imagine - not terribly exciting, IMO.

Maybe that Taiwanese outfit that does the CGI reenactments for news events could do one? :emotawesomepm9:

yeah, I really only care about listening to the music

already getting more than anyone could have hoped for

this isn't some life-defining event for me1 that needs to be ritualized and perfect

innit

-- -- --

1 I Don't mean to diminish the amount of effort joyrex et al have put in here, mind you.

Edited by baph

It's unlikely they'd have the extra hands on staff to be doing that - besides, it will be just the record spinning on some very high-end equipment, I imagine - not terribly exciting, IMO.

Maybe that Taiwanese outfit that does the CGI reenactments for news events could do one? :emotawesomepm9:

Joyrex: Thanks for the reply. Sounds good about revisiting this later. I'm just happy to help if it works out.

That would be hilarious to see a Taiwanese CGI reenactment of the rip! Hahaha

...there aren't very many videos about this sort of thing really...

About electronic music? I'd recommend starting with, say, I Dream of Wires.

Not terribly exciting? Let me tell you something, it the best thing ever! lol. Ok I guess I have no life, but I like watching records spin on a turntable.

A shot like this would be cool and easy to set up:

Edited by korona15

That would be hilarious to see a Taiwanese CGI reenactment of the rip! Hahaha

watmm parody reenactment version plees

lol. this would be pretty great.

tangent, if you think that stuff is goofy, you should see actual Taiwanese local news. it's atrocious.