IGNORED

Luke Vibert vs. Nile Rodgers

MassfreeKid

These last few years or so, Nile Rodgers came out of his silence to start making music again. He's even preparing a new CHIC album. We all know about the latest Daft Punk, but he's also been collaborating here and there on so-called EDM tracks with younger producers, adding his trademark guitar playing and so on. While I like the fact that a legend of disco music comes back to make more music, I wonder why he's not trying to collaborate with more interesting electronic music producers. Some of them have been pushing the disco revival for years, like Luke. I really wonder where Karrier District would go with Nile Rodgers on board, or even a new Luke project that would push the enveloppe of disco music. Luke is a big CHIC fan. The BJ Cole/Vibert collab really was special back in the day, so that's why I started to imagine what Luke and Nile would come up with, if you locked them up in a studio together.

Maybe because it is too obvious or the result would become too predictable (for Luke that is), and because Luke is way underrated whereas Nile is too big an artist so he gets all these fancy EDM-artists shoved under his nose by label bosses? Just assuming here btw, because BJ Cole walked the same path: a somewhat older musician starting music again and asks someone to work with that's fancy and popular (at the time), so he got albums by Vibert, Squarepusher and Aphex (I think), and BJ Cole just chose Vibert.

I think if you look at all the collabs Vibert did, they were all unexpected / fresh and by semi-known people (Perrey, BJ Cole, Blu Rum 13) that would take risks, therefore it had lots of potential. I'd rather have Luke finding someone really obscure again that's really promising and delivers something new (BJ Cole collab is one of my, if not all time fave, Vibert album and is one of the best examples of a good collaboration album).

edit: Moroder and Rodgers killed their street cred for me because of their Daft Punk collab btw.

Guest Gravity

The BJ Cole/Vibert collab

First time I'm hearing this and I'm enjoying it a lot. Interesting combination.

Maybe because it is too obvious or the result would become too predictable.

I'd rather have Luke finding someone really obscure again that's really promising and delivers something new.

Moroder and Rodgers killed their street cred for me because of their Daft Punk collab btw.

I agree with your three points. I definitely see what you mean. I think that people like Moroder and Rodgers are simply completely disconnected from the underground. They have no idea what's going on TODAY. They think it's all dance music and that's it. But if it was Luke who hired Rogers and Moroder for an album, you can be sure it wouldn't be as cheesy or obvious as what Daft Punk did. It could be a lot more interesting. With that said, I still see a lot of potential between Nile and Luke, that's why I posted this, hoping that this comes to the ears of one of them hehehe. I suggest reading Nile Rodgers' autobiography, Le Freak, if you want to know more about his history as a creative force.

Also, I believe that Nile Rodgers is quite underrated. Most people think he's just this guitarist that does the same thing over and over. The guy was a true electronic music pioneer from the underground. And if you put him in a studio with today's underground (whoever this might be), I wonder what would come out of it. Certainly not some bullshit EDM with female vocals on top of it. I think Alex Paterson from The Orb nailed it down quite nicely:

Dance and Disco were essential influences on The Orb, and ones that Alex looks back fondly on, however the recent Daft Punk Disco revival isn’t cutting the mustard with the doc. “I think Nile Rodgers is a bit embarrassed by it all, I imagine. I don’t think he realised what he wasn’t getting himself in for. Chic are way above what Daft Punk could ever achieve, Chic are like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, they reached out with a whole new sound. Nile and Bernie Edwards were prolific, they were always on the decks with Killing Joke – it was almost like the Giorgio Moroder German stuff, very precise. For me to talk about Chic and Sister Sledge and then Daft Punk is, I’m sorry, but ‘does not compute’.”

Source: http://mancunion.com/2013/09/15/interview-the-orb-dr-alex-paterson/

Archived