IGNORED

Which Charity Should Get The Proceeds of the Ebay Sale?

Joyrex

Let's hear your suggestions about which charity you think should benefit from the proceeds of the Ebay sale of the CAT023 record - please just don't throw out a single name - provide details:

1. The charity's website and name
  2. What their mission is
  3. Why you think they deserve the donation - provide evidence the charity puts their donations to good use and are deserving of the money

If you don't have a particular charity to suggest, you may offer your support for a suggested charity by quoting the original mention (not someone elses' agreement) - that will make it easier for me to see which charities are the most popular.

This thread will only remain open until 12:00PM CST on 30/04/2014 - after that, the most popular charities will be compiled into a poll, and we will vote on it, with the most popular one being submitted to Rephlex for dual consideration, and a final charity announced shortly thereafter.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my suggestion

1. World Heart Federation (for English folk that's the world wide version of British Heart Foundation). http://www.world-heart-federation.org/about-us/support-us/

2. The World Heart Federation is dedicated to leading the global fight against cardiovascular disease (CVD) – including heart disease and stroke - with a focus on low- and middle-income countries, via a united community of more than 200 member organizations. It aligns its efforts around the World Health Organization’s related target of reducing premature CVD mortality of 25% by 2025

3. As I was born with a CVD I've followed their work and seen the benefits of the charity for many years. Hearts tend to be pretty darn useful it turns out !

Guest Papillon

1. www.mariecurie.org.uk/

2. They give terminal cancer patients palliative care right at their home, rather than forcing them to spending the remainder of their lives in a hospital.

Donations to Cancer research, treatment, and palliative care can't be a bad idea. I gather Aphex Twin has some interest in this organization. A photo of this hospital was on one of the Analord labels.

Here's my suggestion:

musequality.org

Musequality is a charity founded in 2007 to support music education projects for disadvantaged children in developing countries. Inspired by programmes such as El Sistema in Venezuela and Buskaid in Soweto, it was created when vioinist David Juritz realised there was little or no charitable funding available to people attempting to set up music projects in underprivileged communities. Musequality is run by volunteers and supported entirely by donations.

We encourage a wide variety of music in our projects, with particular emphasis on the local musical culture and communal music-making. Our aim is not to produce professional musicians but to give marginalised children an opportunity to regain their self-respect, rebuild their confidence and develop life-skills that will lead to better futures for themselves and their communities.

We do this by working with appropriate partners to develop existing music projects or set up new ones. Our funding helps to provide such basics as musical instruments, sheet music, stands and training materials. We also help with transportation costs, construction or refurbishment of premises, teacher training and performance expenses.

In time we hope to create an exchange programme so that teachers in our projects can visit UK music schools or colleges to enhance their skills, and teachers from other countries can visit our projects, helping to widen horizons for the children.

We believe we are the first, and only, UK charity to support community-based music projects in the developing world. We do not undertake projects in the UK, nor can we assist individuals.

Remember that it was through projects like this that we got ska and eventually reggae. It all starts with the instruments.

Guest BKLondon

War Child - www.warchild.org.uk

War Child protect children's lives from the brutal effects of war. War Child believe music can change the world.

War Child have used the support of amazing musicians - including Radiohead, Massive Attack and David Bowie - to save and change the lives of innocent children whose lives are destroyed by wars. Music raises awareness and money - so War Child can give these children safety, education, skills and hope for a better future. It often helps to bring music back into their lives too.

War Child were founded in 1993 to help the victims of the Bosnian conflict, back when this LP was recorded. Would be inspiring if this discovery and Aphex Twin's music was able to change the lives of children living through the unimaginable trauma of the wars in Syria today.

Amnesty International.

http://www.amnesty.org/

Amnesty International (commonly known as Amnesty and AI) is a non-governmental organisation focused on human rights with over 3 million members and supporters around the world. The stated objective of the organisation is "to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated."

Because human rights are still extremely important and vulnerable.

Cancer research.

Can't say a hell of a lot but 2 of my grandparents died from different types of cancer and my aunty suffered from it for several years.

Cancer research.

Can't say a hell of a lot but 2 of my grandparents died from different types of cancer and my aunty suffered from it for several years.

• www.mariecurie.org.uk/
  • They give terminal cancer patients palliative care right at their home, rather than forcing them to spending the remainder of their lives in a hospital.
  • Donations to Cancer research, treatment, and palliative care can't be a bad idea. I gather Aphex Twin has some interest in this organization. A photo of this hospital was on one of the Analord labels.

These.

A standard, well-known charitable organization: UNICEF

1. http://www.unicefusa.org/, UNICEF

2. To help children worldwide have access to clean water, basic food, and immunizations for easily preventable (but life-threatening) diseases.

3. This organization is very well-known and reputable, and philosophers such as Peter Singer frequently cite it in their work on economic justice. (e.g.,

)

Second on Amnesty,UNICEF, War Child, and Water Aide.

1. www.mariecurie.org.uk/
  2. They give terminal cancer patients palliative care right at their home, rather than forcing them to spending the remainder of their lives in a hospital.
  3. Donations to Cancer research, treatment, and palliative care can't be a bad idea. I gather Aphex Twin has some interest in this organization. A photo of this hospital was on one of the Analord labels.

Huh, interesting. It'd be sincere & heartfelt yet still tongue-n-cheek.

https://www.eff.org/

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is the leading nonprofit organization defending civil liberties in the digital world. Founded in 1990, EFF champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development. We work to ensure that rights and freedoms are enhanced and protected as our use of technology grows.

Even in the fledgling days of the Internet, EFF understood that protecting access to developing technology was central to advancing freedom for all. In the years that followed, EFF used our fiercely independent voice to clear the way for open source software, encryption, security research, file sharing tools, and a world of emerging technologies.

it's not a 'charity' perse, but It's a good cause I think everyone in here except for a small minority could appreciate.

War Child - www.warchild.org.uk

War Child protect children's lives from the brutal effects of war. War Child believe music can change the world.

War Child have used the support of amazing musicians - including Radiohead, Massive Attack and David Bowie - to save and change the lives of innocent children whose lives are destroyed by wars. Music raises awareness and money - so War Child can give these children safety, education, skills and hope for a better future. It often helps to bring music back into their lives too.

War Child were founded in 1993 to help the victims of the Bosnian conflict, back when this LP was recorded. Would be inspiring if this discovery and Aphex Twin's music was able to change the lives of children living through the unimaginable trauma of the wars in Syria today.

plus one.

Amnesty International.

http://www.amnesty.org/

Amnesty International (commonly known as Amnesty and AI) is a non-governmental organisation focused on human rights with over 3 million members and supporters around the world. The stated objective of the organisation is "to conduct research and generate action to prevent and end grave abuses of human rights, and to demand justice for those whose rights have been violated."

Because human rights are still extremely important and vulnerable.

Guest jasondonervan

I'm a bit stumped with this, as there are so many deserving charities that it's really tough to think of one being more deserving than another. That said, there have been some good suggestions, so I think I'll just have to wait until the voting begins.

1) Jessie's Fund

http://www.jessiesfund.org.uk

2) Jessies Fund is a UK charity helping children with additional and complex needs through the use of music. We work with children in hospices, special schools and in other settings nationwide, giving them access to music-making and to music therapy.

3) For anyone with complex needs, music gives a new and exiting way to express themselves, communicate & just have a good time! (3 things a lot of us take for granted)

edit: Joyrex and everyone involved, this is a great thing what has been organised.

ps. Maybe we could pick a few charities, and give eg: $500 each, that's still A LOT of money imo and we'd be able to spread the love some more :D

Archived