IGNORED

Caustic Window LP: Art

phudoshin

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally I think if there is fan art that will accompany this, it should just be a simple list of names or just a shot of Richard's handwritten label.

yeah, i was going to post this actually

I'll be listening to a copy of the record

take a nice high-res photo of the record/handwritten label

that's an honest representation of the content

not that there aren't some nifty designs here, but just give me reality, you know

edit: I don't really like the names idea. don't need to congratulate ourselves. just listen to the fucking music, jeez

edit 2: of course i already recognize that I am a heartless utilitarian in all things

yeah the names is pretty cheesy i agree, i just didn't want to sound rude. onya for breaking the ice baph. [-;

it's not rude to express your opinion

I was just thinking the names but in a graphic way, like the lines or whatever.

but I'm in favor of the handwritten label

agreed baph, and i also certainly don't think it needs a watmm or kickstarter logo. it (the music) is a "product" of richard (and rephlex).

if he (or rephlex) give us anything close to artwork i'll use that above anything else.

personally I think if there is fan art that will accompany this, it should just be a simple list of names or just a shot of Richard's handwritten label.

not that there aren't some nifty designs here, but just give me reality, you know

edit: I don't really like the names idea. don't need to congratulate ourselves. just listen to the fucking music, jeez

edit 2: of course i already recognize that I am a heartless utilitarian in all things

That was actually one of Grant's suggestions (just a picture of the whitelabel/record, just like on Discogs).

Ah, this has been fun! I got to stretch some Photoshop/Illustrator muscles I haven't used in years!

My idea is for an elegant, gold-foil stamped slipcover (CD or vinyl).

Caustic-Window-LP-Mock-Up.jpg

And for you Photoshop/Illustrator nerds like me, in case you were curious:

• Took a high resolution JPG of the original Bicycle Playing Card (might be Umbrella, can't recall off the top of my head) of the King of Clubs and scanned it in, and in Photoshop produced a pure black and white line drawing, modified similar to the "bust" effect used on the other Caustic Window releases.
  • Autotraced the resulting work in Illustrator, cleaning up where needed, and creating the pinwheel dupes and the "Caustic Window" window effect with a clipping mask.
  • Brought it in as a Smart Vector object in Photoshop, and then used Smart Filters and perspective tools to create the faux embossing effect and angled presentation. The embossing effect is achieved through Smart Filters, layers, and gradient overlays.
  • The nice textured material background was from a stock image found online.

Yes indeed, very nice.

I'd be up for buying that as a cd sleeve, maybe you could do a poll to gauge interest J? once the final one has been picked - and as a forum exclusive of course :)

Ah, this has been fun! I got to stretch some Photoshop/Illustrator muscles I haven't used in years!

attachicon.gifCaustic-Window-LP-Mock-Up.jpg

• Took a high resolution JPG of the original Bicycle Playing Card (might be Umbrella, can't recall off the top of my head) of the King of Clubs and scanned it in, and in Photoshop produced a pure black and white line drawing, modified similar to the "bust" effect used on the other Caustic Window releases.
  • Autotraced the resulting work in Illustrator, cleaning up where needed, and creating the pinwheel dupes and the "Caustic Window" window effect with a clipping mask.
  • Brought it in as a Smart Vector object in Photoshop, and then used Smart Filters and perspective tools to create the faux embossing effect and angled presentation. The embossing effect is achieved through Smart Filters, layers, and gradient overlays.

i think the window should just be square. take out the blinds. other than that it's great

well done JR. especially if you spend most of your days coding/programming/etc. looks like a fun exercise.

can't go wrong with gold foil debossing.

I really, really like it. Just a few thoughts off the top of me noggin'...

Replace the 'K' in the top left king with a 'C', and then repeat this in each king to have 'C' 'W' 'L' 'P'.

Also, replace the clubs symbol below the letter out for the Rephlex symbol, and then possibly either leave that as the only symbol on there just like there is only one clubs as you have now, or have the clubs symbol in the first one, the Rephlex symbol in the next, Aphex symbol in another, and the Watmm symbol in the last one. If this is done, then the Rephlex symbol in the bottom right corner could be replaced by 'CAT023' instead.

The only other thing I though of, and I might be alone on this, but I feel like that Caustic Window stuff would be better suited with silver instead of gold coloring. The Analord set had the gold A on it, so I kind of feel like the different colors would separate the different monikers (plus the CW Compilation has the silver cover to it as well).

All that said, I think JR's cover idea is fan-fucking-tastic (not to mention top notch photoshop work), if we do a vote or something then mark me down, cap'n.

Thought I'd take a swing:

This is minimal and elegant at the same time, like the logo reel a lot too. Damn, this is near the name-lined image pages before!

For a moment, without reading the description, I thought this was real printed up. Excellent choice in cardboard. The embossed perspective rounds it up a lot, but I would go for a normal square, but divided window element.

Joyrex would it be possible to get this image from a front perspective, instead of the sideway?

yeah the names is pretty cheesy i agree, i just didn't want to sound rude. onya for breaking the ice baph. [-;

This project is cheesy. Humans are cheesy as creations, at least those with penis ones. Realization of an idea matters.

It would have been cool to arrange with a printer to have these as a tier reward. Too late for that?

A frontal image could also be transferred to LightScribe for peeps that want to print their own CDs.

i think the window should just be square. take out the blinds. other than that it's great

The "window" is the same window used on the Caustic Window compilation's CD liner tray art (see earlier in this thread - somebody posted it). Thanks!

This is minimal and elegant at the same time, like the logo reel a lot too. Damn, this is near the name-lined image pages before!

For a moment, without reading the description, I thought this was real printed up. Excellent choice in cardboard. The embossed perspective rounds it up a lot, but I would go for a normal square, but divided window element.

Joyrex would it be possible to get this image from a front perspective, instead of the sideway?

Yeah, I'll post one in a bit - I wanted to go for that "dramatic angle" - always make your first impression the best! Again, the "window" is from the CW Compilation liner tray artwork.

It would have been cool to arrange with a printer to have these as a tier reward. Too late for that?

A frontal image could also be transferred to LightScribe for peeps that want to print their own CDs.

I was thinking something separate (another Kickstarter), but I'll talk to Grant and see what he thinks. I could also provide a label users could print to affix to the CDr as well. I think I could get this arranged with a printer, get the costs involved, and go from there.

I think silver foil would look nice too - I might do an alternate and see what it looks like.

Yeah, I'll post one in a bit - I wanted to go for that "dramatic angle" - always make your first impression the best! Again, the "window" is from the CW Compilation liner tray artwork.

My bad, thought that the "window" was WATMM work. *recheckdiscogs*

A print would be damn awesome. Foilblocked embossed stuff looks really classy, so maybe worth checking for costs.

I have no problem to burn up the CD myself, would just love to put it in a good sleeve instead of a paper envelope.

After seeing Joyrex's mindblowing concept I'd go with that for the front cover and vincentvc's offering for the cd, just switch the colour to gold.

vincentvc - if I might make a suggestion for yours it would be to get the most horizontal 'caustic window' and bring it to it's own layer on the front and as prominently white and bold as the rephlex logo.

Archived