IGNORED

Caustic Window LP: Art

phudoshin

$10 is perfect. the printed cd-r idea might be too much of a headache though. i'm sure you'll have more than a few people screw up the burn and ruin their cd-r's. then they'll be banging on your (virtual) door because you sold them a bad disc. plus the shelf life for cd-r media really isn't that great, so almost all would be coasters in 5-10 years or so anyway. a pro-made cd would be the best.

i know grant said something along the lines of "no physicals", but is there a $ amount where that could change? seems like they are leaving a lot of money on the table with this release. and it's really illogical that they are cool with a digital release but not with a physical release.

Well, the CDr would be nice in the respect it would have offset printed artwork on it (I'm thinking the 4 kings motif again, but have the reflective surface of the CDr show through similar to the foil stamping of the cover), plus the quality of the CDr media these places use are much higher than what people typically buy off the shelf (and don't have that green/blue tint to them like consumer CDrs have) - I did a 3" CDr as a bonus for our WATMM Volume One CD release, and I was surprised at how good it was in terms of quality.

i'm sure the printed cd-r would be gorgeous, but what would be the cost difference between having a company print up a bunch of blank cdr's versus having them print up a bunch of professionally pressed cd's with the music already on them? having the end-user burn the disc is just asking for trouble, and seems like a totally unnecessary step. but i understand that there is the issue of getting rephlex to ok that.

hopefully i don't come off as negative. i love all the work you are doing, and the idea of nice physical packaging makes me happy. i'd just like it to be the best that it can be, as i'm sure you do as well.

No, not at all - I fully understand your reasoning, and if it were up to me, that's probably what we'd be doing - but, this is not my music or release, so I have to respect Richard/Rephlex and their wishes on the matter.

Actually CDr replication/printing is less expensive than pressing a professional CD - no need for a glass master, etc. Not including a CDr at all would further reduce the costs, but as it stands, I think that's a more "complete" offering than just packaging.

I might try mocking up the back/inside and spine of the digipak along with the CDr artwork, to gauge feedback/interest.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yah, I think the best is to put up a website with all submitted covers, with hi-res free DL, so people can print their own. Have ratings to sort by popularity or whatever.

Yah, I think the best is to put up a website with all submitted covers, with hi-res free DL, so people can print their own. Have ratings to sort by popularity or whatever.

This.

Nice one above..

Here's another Spade a spade................

cw7_zps336ff5ee.png

I like this one.

Apart for that vague "caustic window". I'd prefer it to be obvious on top, because whatever it is, it'll never have the detail and feel of the picture. So, better use the contract instead of trying to emulate, i guess.

Still, possible winner here though.

image.jpg

Came unexpected, I like this- it has some early rave-ish charme, like an old rejected sleeve done for Photek or Roni Size. Slick!

Archived