IGNORED

bands/artists you can't understand how other people could like

LimpyLoo

i love VSnares. Do you folks who don't like VSnares not like any (for lack of a better term) extreme breakcore?

He's talented, sure. But I just don't find it enjoyable at all. :cerious:

Do you like any breakcore?

No, breakcore is silly.

Hecker

Merzbow

Dominick Fernow (all projects)

James Blake

Arthur Russell

Scott Walker

Neutral Milk Hotel

Xiu Xiu

Bill Callahan

Russell Haswell

etc.

Of course you don't understand.

You exclusively listen to aural magnolia.

:tongue:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vsnares (except a couple of tracks)

Snd

I´ve never really gotten into Team Doyobi. I like Demons to Diamonds/Little Plastic Brick, but I haven´t found anything else that I really enjoy by them. I´m open for suggestions.

Also, I´m waiting for Merzbow to tell us that it was all just a big joke.

Of course you don't understand.

You exclusively listen to aural magnolia.

:tongue:

Not entirely :cool: . Things just gotta be done right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hCt145Bew

touché

:beer:

Vsnares (except a couple of tracks)

Snd

I´ve never really gotten into Team Doyobi. I like Demons to Diamonds/Little Plastic Brick, but I haven´t found anything else that I really enjoy by them. I´m open for suggestions.

Also, I´m waiting for Merzbow to tell us that it was all just a big joke.

wat

http://www.discogs.com/Merzbow-Scumtron/release/208888

I don't understand why I liked some of the music I listened to in the past, like Linkin Park. I still have a lot of them in my music collection, but I don't listen to them anymore.

whine whine whine whine whine

whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine??

whine whine

whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine....whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine.

Sorry, I slipped into a coma induced by your whining.

I'm not sure what stars of the lid is...

But I can't stand merzbow. There's a reason he has 900 albums, and I don't think it's prolifery. That's my opinion of course.

everything before 1990.

Ha. I get irony.

Good thread concept, but I already know half the opinions shared in this thread will only make me angry. So I've tried not to read it... but Merzbow owns all of us when it comes to creating an entire fucking genre of music, so :cisfor:

How many of you have actually been to a noise show?

As for artists where I can't actually understand the popularity... I'm sad to say there aren't any, because any time something shitty becomes really popular it only confirms my worst convictions about humanity in general. But I'd like to say Simple Plan, Hedley, Soulja Boy, Fallout Boy and Kanye West.

Music does not equal noise.

I could just scream and shout random things and sequence them, that's not artistic. That's retardation.

No offense but I think there is a massive reason that merzbow has 2309450109421098410408 albums and it's not because he's prolific, it's because it's random noise. People can try and justify it any way they want.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just seriously don't understand how anyone can consider it anything but random noise. And I don't consider that skillful... Maybe I'm too stupid to understand merzbow, maybe it's a higher level than what I can understand (lol).

NOISE, by definition, is not music. This is not WATNM...

wow there was this level of noise and then there was a different level! There was this level of distortion, and then there was a different level of distortion! Time passed, and some parameters were changing! None of it is rhythmic or melodic... So it's not music.

wow there was this level of noise and then there was a different level! There was this level of distortion, and then there was a different level of distortion! Time passed, and some parameters were changing! None of it is rhythmic or melodic... So it's not music.

it's sound arranged in a way that's aesthetically pleasing to people who enjoy that sort of sound, just like Shania Twain's voice is a combination of rhythm and melody that is aesthetically pleasing to people who are into that. I personally find most nu country to be nauseating despite it being rooted in things that are traditionally perceived as musical. To me it sounds cheesy, predictable, and easy to mimick. As for Merzbow, I haven't heard anyone else make noise quite like he does, and it's inspired me to make noise music of my own. Most other noise artists sound pretty amateurish by comparison, which is not surprising given that he's been doing it for 30+ years. Apparently most people cannot discern the noise he makes from the sound of their own kitchen appliances, but to me there is a drastic and obvious difference. He's not just randomly screaming and pushing effects pedals, though I've heard and witnessed a lot of noise music that does seem like just that.

As someone who's made pop/metal/folk/electronic and also noise music, I can say noise would be the most difficult for me to get to a point I am satisfied with, were it not for the fact that good lyrics are hard to write. But as for the composition/performance aspect, I find noise to be the most challenging. That said, it's no surprise to me that most people can't stand it.

I can't really think of anything. I think the music I dislike most I dislike specifically because I know why someone would like it, and I think those reasons are stupid. But even then, I can't deny people feeling legitimate connections to music, even with bands hated universally like Nickelback or Attack! Attack!. Jandek is pretty unbearable most of the time, but he's hilarious anyway and I guess I kind of like him myself.

I'd say I'm more on the other side with being unable to understand why someone would think certain things are complete shit, like:

Mountain Goats

I guess if you don't like his voice or if you don't like the whole folksy singer-with-guitar thing that makes sense, but I don't understand how anyone would be unable to understand why someone would like him, especially considering how good of a writer he is. Like, can you honestly read the lyrics for The Young Thousands and go "Yeah he's a shitty writer I have no clue why someone would like that"? Personally, I think that John Darnielle is one of the best lyricists alive right now.

Guest Phonejack

I could just scream and shout random things and sequence them, that's not artistic. That's retardation.

No offense but I think there is a massive reason that merzbow has 2309450109421098410408 albums and it's not because he's prolific, it's because it's random noise. People can try and justify it any way they want.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just seriously don't understand how anyone can consider it anything but random noise. And I don't consider that skillful... Maybe I'm too stupid to understand merzbow, maybe it's a higher level than what I can understand (lol).

Salutations fellow hater of fun.

Also I don't know what definition of music you are going by but every definition I have heard, the majority of noise fits, funny that.

Noise music is really just ambient without as much tonal stuff. It's as much about aesthetics as any other music; it portrays emotion through sound, most frequently anger of despair, although can also portray other moods.

iunno man, I like it.

aphex and autechre can get pretty noisy at times.

back on topic:

iunno how ppl can actually like what's played on the radio or popular clubs nowadays. I honestly think they just "like" it to fit in.

Archived