IGNORED

what would your ideal all-in-one hardware synth be like?

Guest mista

Guest mista

Trying to make music with one synth that did everything would be like trying to perform surgery with a top of the range swiss army knife.

looool stealin' that.

Trying to make music with one synth that did everything would be like trying to perform surgery with a top of the range swiss army knife.

You mean, "fucking badass"? Imagine you're in a restaurant where someone collapses. The dude's girlfriend starts to scream and is like, "OMG my boyfriend just collapsed!" Then out from some random booth, a doctor steps in all assertive and pushing people out of the way. He's all, "Stand back! ...Stand back!!! ...I'm..... I'm a doctor." Then after touching the collapsed and turning purple- bleeding from the ears and eyes- dude's body, the doctor is like, "This man has acute brocco-loco choco... He needs surgery immediately!" Then the collapsed dude's girl is like, "OMG, I'll call 911-" Then you enter the scene by doing a double-backflip over the crowd and land next to the panicking girlfriend, and you're all, "NOT SO FAST! This man needs surgery, not a telephone call." Then you just push people out of the way who aren't even in the way and grab your top of the range Swiss Army knife from your chest holster of random shit. The doctor mumbles some shit about how the man needs medical attention immediately, and you mumble quietly whilst calculating the situation in its entirety, "Medical attention? Unlike you... that's exactly what I'm giving this man."- you then yell demands at the crowd, "You! Fatass- gimme your beer. Waitress! Yeah, you, big tits-- gimme 27 pitchers of ice... ...NOOOW!!! You! Kid- gimme your shoes and your drink." And then with a bottle, straw, shoelaces, and a ziplock bag you had in your pocket from an O of purple haze, you make a contraption to facilitate the man's breathing with your foot, while the ice is used to slow his heartbeat to near stopping. Then using your Swiss Army knife, you slice open the dude's body, complete some complicated procedure with the assistance of a chicken wishbone, and sew him back up-- all with your 5kg, has-every-feature Swiss Army knife. "He's gonna be fine, miss.", you say to the amazed and thankful girlfriend. Right before walking away, you tell the doctor, "Doctor... Clean this man up, unless you wanna waste more of our time. -Everybody, everybody... Please, stop with the taking pictures. Saving lives and knowing what I'm doing is part of my life. And as much as I'd like to do an interview for you- every single local news channel-- right now, I have to go home and make music with one synth... that does everything. Ciao." *drives away in Lamborghini Countach that has glowing lines like Tron*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqImkDgDwHU

(you rock btw)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lambda

I don't have a computer dedicated to music production, and I do have a newborn, so when I have free time for music, every minute counts. So I use a keyboard workstation and love it. So fast and easy. I currently use a Roland Fa-06 - fast, easy sequencer, broad sound palette, onboard sampler. I love it. I also have an E4XT Ultra for deeper sound design, but seldom hook it up anymore.

my ideal synth would be one that scans my dna and my brain somehow to create a synthetic virtual substrate, a recreation of the world i experience on a day to day basis, based off of my past memories, and then a virtual me inserted into that substrate. of course all this is contained on a fairly advanced cpu so it's technically a digital synth. anyway, this virtual me would have all the same thought patterns, memories, and genetic predispositions as the real me, but it would also have to have the capacity to experience things on an emotional level. of course he'd also have access to all the same junk hardware (in virtual form ofc) that the this me has to make audio/musical type happenings with. and as this me does, the virtual me would be naturally inclined to tinker with that stuff to make sounds.

so then, the parameters of the synth wouldn't be LP filters, adsr envelopes or any of that. it'd be a wide sweeping set of variables that i could manipulate, about how that virtual world is rendered, and which would affect the virtual me living there. so then skilled use of this synthesizer would involve learning over time what kind of events and situations would trigger the virtual me to create something worth listening to. want a more emotional album with teh sad feelz? well then just tweak the parameters such that theres a constant verge of suicide type thing going on, and you always have saves states and memory wipes to go back a few days in case that line is actually crossed. constant rejection from desired sexual companions, multiple deaths in proximity, gloomy weather non stop, erectile dysfunction, professional failure, complete failure all around. constant torment and a torturous existence. who knows what combination would actually get you the deepest cuts? want something happy then maybe do the opposite. maybe some people give contradictory results compared to what gets thrown at them. each one would be different

of course you'd be able to manipulate the dnas and mental side of the subject his or herself more directly, also. and faster cpu would mean results come quicker, lives could be lived out maybe over a span of days and entire discographies accumulated in that same span.

i give it about 40yrs

An hardware version of U-He's Diva would be pretty awesome. With all the analogue parts analogue, and all the digital OSCs / Enveloppes etc... digital. It'd be quite an amazing semi modular beast.

• 2 months later...

Something simple and compact that sounds good, and a decent range of tweak-ability with midi control. Doesn't need a keyboard.

Thankfully there's quite a few synths that provide that.

I'm not 100% sure that this exists yet, but there's something in the works that will soon fit this description. Unfortunately I can't tell you much more yet...

Tada...

This is...pretty ballin. I was going to say a fully working SunSyn, and though this has digital oscs (& rotary encoders, cry everytiem), it looks like this could be in that category. Plus stacking sounds cool as shit. Hmmm...getting a bit of the old GAS I do declare

I'm not 100% sure that this exists yet, but there's something in the works that will soon fit this description. Unfortunately I can't tell you much more yet...

Tada...

This is...pretty ballin. I was going to say a fully working SunSyn, and though this has digital oscs (& rotary encoders, cry everytiem), it looks like this could be in that category. Plus stacking sounds cool as shit. Hmmm...getting a bit of the old GAS I do declare

Ah fuck, forgot about the SunSyn! That is very close to my 'perfect' dream synth. Good god. I've heard it's quite easily automated via midi and software front end :)

Tada...

Ah fuck, forgot about the SunSyn! That is very close to my 'perfect' dream synth. Good god. I've heard it's quite easily automated via midi and software front end :)

It's really really really really good like.

there is a software front end for it? I had to make a reaktor patch for a/d to use software on his (which he promised to sell me, but then didn't :wink: ) . Pretty glad I didnt though, so no hard feelings, put the money into my modular rig instead

Elektron is getting fairly close with their analog rhythm I think. For me it'd be a four part polyphonic synth, analog / digi doesn't matter, a sampler for resampling capibilities primarily, and a drum synth / sequencer. Shouldn't be that hard actually. Two osc subtractive synth there with the synthesis engine.

The hard thing would be having to have something to make drum micro edit type stuff but I guess that would be made possible via the sampler. So, sampling capibilities would need to be robust, and I'd need a screen probably.

Given that all that would cost a pretty penny might as well stop wishing and just get three pieces from the Elektron range.

there is a software front end for it? I had to make a reaktor patch for a/d to use software on his (which he promised to sell me, but then didn't :wink: ) . Pretty glad I didnt though, so no hard feelings, put the money into my modular rig instead

My bad, you're right. I was mistaken and drunk. I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere that someone built a front-end.

Lol John sorry I was a dick about that. It was like selling a child, it sounds like a great idea and then it comes time to put them in the hold of some Siberian cargo liner and you just can't do it. Not that you're anything like a Siberian child ship. You're a perfectly good seeming dude. Anyway. There may well come a time that I need to sell that child and I promise you'll be the first one I contact.

Audioblysk it is indeed a beast though a temperamental and sadly somewhat handicapped beast. If you, me and the synth are ever in the same place you're welcome to try it.

Futureimage did you work on the 002 at all? I know you're a synthcrafter from some of your postings . .

Futureimage did you work on the 002 at all? I know you're a synthcrafter from some of your postings . .

Not in terms of design no - Paul Maddox, Modulus' chief engineer, is a friend of mine so I've had the chance to pop into their office a few times. It really is a piece of engineering artistry really. The feature set has me thinking you can write and produce whole tracks on this thing - it's more an amazing sounding performance groovebox than a keyboard.

Archived