IGNORED

Vinyl and no turntable.

Skeptinoid

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

If you don't play your records often (at least once a week) the grooves on the record will warp making the record unplayable and useless. This can happen quickly so make sure you get a turntable asap. there are a lot of decent new turntables that you can get for under 100usd. audio technica makes a decent one.

this cant be true

Shelves can definitely be harmful. What you need is a table, it doesn't matter whether it turns or not. Audio Technica used to make a decent vinyl storage table but I'm not sure if they still do. You might be able to find one on ebay or possibly at a car boot sale, but to be honest most serious record collectors wouldn't ever part with theirs so you'd have to be extremely lucky and also be willing to pay a bit more than you would for a normal table.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Yeah you can do that but the Audio Technica ones have a much greater frequency range. If you put your vinyls on a table with a poor frequency range the frequencies on the vinyls that sit outside that range will gradually fade away to nothing over time. Shelves have practically no frequency range at all as they usually just hang on walls and also they aren't tables.

anyone have any experience with digital turntables? lol

If you like excessive jitter then go for it. i wouldn't consider one under $75,000.00, though, and that's entry-level. And you'll need at least a $50,000.00 power supply just to get anything usable. Most digital tone arms and headshells won't let you adjust azimuth and as a result will burn a hole through one side of the groove after one or two listens.

If you like excessive jitter then go for it. i wouldn't consider one under $75,000.00, though, and that's entry-level. And you'll need at least a $50,000.00 power supply just to get anything usable. Most digital tone arms and headshells won't let you adjust azimuth and as a result will burn a hole through one side of the groove after one or two listens.

will they play my digital vinyls though?

will they play my digital vinyls though?

not really. I mean, they will, but you'll get some really peaky resonances from the two digitals not being properly decoupled

Archived