IGNORED

Composers Desktop Project

marf

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

I was reading about CDP extensively last night. i came to the conclusion that soundloom is the way to get the most from that software. Trevor adds new shit all the time. these realtime versions for stuff like renoise are cool, but just scratches the surface of what you can do.

doesn't help that everything about Trevor Wishart is hard to get hold of. his music, his books, his help

THE PROBLEM IS THE GUI!

Because the written docs obviously dont help much...

The solution would be a screen capture tutorial video from someone who really knows Soundloom then upload it to Vimeo. (if you are out there)

these realtime versions for stuff like renoise are cool, but just scratches the surface of what you can do.

doesn't help that everything about Trevor Wishart is hard to get hold of. his music, his books, his help

What do you mean with 'realtime versions', cdp is an offline dsp package also in Renoise. You process samples in the sample editor through the tool.

I have a non-released beta cdp tool version installed for a while now, covering almost all the processes (everything besides redundant utilities and support for >2 multi-channel soundfiles) and support for different inputs/outputs definable by the users, it can also use Renoises instrument envelopes to define breakpoint trajectories so you can automate parameters over time.

10593046_717815648273432_627648266215061

I don't know, when and if Afta will publish it for all to use as he likes to implement other stuff first as well, but is currently very busy.

The real power in soundloom and soundshaper pro (which I prefer over soundloom) is the matrix in which you can store different set-ups, horizontal/vertical chains of CDP effects/processes. So when you find a particular magical sequence of effects, you can store it, sorta like a batch-file, and recall/run it later on. This is on the long to-do list for the cdp tool, but I have faith it'll happen one day :) .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Who is still using CDP?

I

Got one of Trevor's books too for christmas last year, the audible design one. Goes into some of the processes within CDP and talks about some of the theory behind sound design etc. a great read! 

Who is still using CDP?

I

Got one of Trevor's books too for christmas last year, the audible design one. Goes into some of the processes within CDP and talks about some of the theory behind sound design etc. a great read! 

Wow, that is a really good birthday gift.

use supercollider and the wavesets quark. 

get this

https://github.com/musikinformatik/WavesetsEvent

Its way more fun than using CDP

but what does it do?

Wavesets are really the Trevor thing. 

I can't explain it. 

SC you can do this real time. Switch things around . And they've attached a way to manipulate using the pattern classes. Its easy.  Its Trevors wavelets ported to SC3

one of my doodles. Im not sure what else is in CDP. The interface is so fucked, Id be interested to know what else people are doing in CD besides wavesets

i thought the good thing about cdp is you can use command line scripts to generate 1000s of wave files, then listen back through them all and pick the ones that sound good

i thought the good thing about cdp is you can use command line scripts to generate 1000s of wave files, then listen back through them all and pick the ones that sound good

Yeah I've used it thru command line before but started using it via renoise once that tool came about.

Is there a way via command line to have a 100 different FX applied to one sample in one go? so you end up with hundreds of files all having gone thru different FX?

If so I'll go back to the command line. 

I'm aware of the batch command but thought that was for printing multiple fx onto 1 sample. 

Seems like you were alluding to that? 

i havent used it in 4 years so im not sure what to do with it

think ill rejoin their forum and ask on there if i get stuck

i just want to dsp some samples to throw into my digitakt

atmospheres and stuff

i dont know what im doing really

I use it a lot in Renoise. Mainly pvoc stuff. One of killer highlights for me is hyper time stretching process that blows paulstretch (with it's artefact masking reverb at the end) out of the water. It sounds really natural and weird because of that.

wavesets are defined here- http://www.composersdesktop.com/trnsform.html

Waveset distortion was developed for the CDP while composing Tongues of Fire. I defined a waveset as the signal between any pair of zero-crossings. With a simple sine-wave the waveset corresponds to the waveform. But even with a harmonic tone with very strong partials, the waveform may cross the zero more than twice in a complete cycle. In this case the wavesets are shorter than the waveform. With complex signals (e.g. speech) containing noise elements, the definition of the waveset produces many varieties of technically arbitrary, but potentially musically interesting, artefacts. A whole suite of procedures was developed to manipulate wavesets. I have used three at prominent moments in compositions.

• 2 years later...

Archived