IGNORED

how do you get this sound, the thread

Guest skibby

And as one answer for the post of the OP : I don't know how common are audio tools allowing you to directly draw waveforms, but Renoise has one and you can get those kind of sounds if you draw some very tiny (short) peaks over silence, searching for the good way to spread them over time in order to obtain satisfying crackle sounds. Then create one or several samples using this method and sequence them, playing with pitch and filters. I'm sure you can have nice results, close for what you're looking for. But as I said I'm not sure about what exists as tools for that.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's this:

http://www.splitradix.com/oldio/fenix_noise.mp3

sounds cool, whats the chain?

and Antape, I think thats some gradual FM depth creeping into the drums.

Fenix II with a bit of delay. The patch is basically two oscillators being modulated by another audio oscillator (ie, really fast), going into a low pass filter which is also being modulated really fast by an audio oscillator. Also white noise going into the formant filter which is being modulated by the step sequencer, being triggered every so often. And an LFO changing the original audio oscillator being used to oscillate the other ones. Hrm, I'm probably not making sense. Modular stuff is great for getting these kinds of sounds though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skibby

anything modulated at audio rates creates harmonic or inharmonic sidebands

does any particular software plugin come to mind by chance?

Nobody is gonna take a crack at my tuss sound on page one, eh?

Pansies.

It's not there anymore. Which track was it?

Pansies.

Alspaka, the bassline that comes in @ the end and wraps up the song. Still cannot wrap my head around the microtuning and how he figured out how to manipulate it so lush

Well that one's a bit complex. First you'd need a similar synth sound. There is a vibrato effect on there, which could be achieved a number of ways --skillful manipulation of the mod wheel... a parameter within the sound (vibrato or similar) that can be tweaked, a vibrato VST/other software plug-in (prob not in this case), and then there's a kick sound introduced that has a very similar character and is cleverly integrated to almost sound like a part of the synth line.

Pansies.

Alspaka, the bassline that comes in @ the end and wraps up the song. Still cannot wrap my head around the microtuning and how he figured out how to manipulate it so lush

I don't really know, so I'll just guess it's Fenix magic.

anything modulated at audio rates creates harmonic or inharmonic sidebands

does any particular software plugin come to mind by chance?

anything with VCOs VCFs VCAs with mod inputs

• 3 weeks later...
Guest skibby

the intro synth? additive i guess, but i MUST MUST know how to make this sound. so far, i imagine ppg does it. wavetable morphing, additive or?

the intro synth? additive i guess, but i MUST MUST know how to make this sound. so far, i imagine ppg does it. wavetable morphing, additive or?

I don't really know the answer, dave monolith seems to love making pads like that

I have never heard this before, this is awesome. Thanks for posting this.

Guest skibby

i was peeping youtube vids about additive and spectral synthesis last night, and it seems like izotope iris could accomplish the intro synth sound. there does sound like there is some infinite slope filtering (FFT or FIR)

Is it not just a FM synth, with tonnes of reverb ran through a resonant filter with an LFO applied to the cut off ?

EDIT: Actually you can hear the dry (sans reverb) version of the FM synth when it fades up at 0:30

Guest skibby

i said 'infinite slope filtering' but that was stated wrongly. at any rate, these filters do not sound like your typical filters. plus, they sound quite vector driven as opposed to knobs. also, i found another site that said they were using 4 kawai k5000 synths in 1998.

i found another site that said they were using 4 kawai k5000 synths in 1998.

Just looked at the specs of the synth as I'm not really up on hardware, saw it read:

"Plenty of LFO modulation, filters and envelope controls"

So it could well be as I imagined. If I were to show a routing of it it'd be something like -

FM Synth -> Reverb -> Bandpass filter with high resonance, LFO sweeping/modulating the cut off

Guest skibby

nice one mcbpete! thanks, will have to try. i cant get over the suspicion that theres a filter method thats not conventional in there.

and in keeping with the other nagging suspicion they did it with additive synthesis, i dug up this really intriguing freebie.

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/05/15/tonebytes-harmonaut/

theres a lot of commercial stuff out there too. another freebie that does additive is zebralette.

I would guess that it's two synths, one for the big stab, another for the release/tail with a lower volume. Add a massive reverb, run it through a vocoder and filter sweep it (preferably with the vocoder).

Archived