IGNORED

Productivity Apps

Guest Gary C

Guest Gary C

So I've had a good experience with Habit Streak Plan. The "science" of the app intrigued me. That by encouraging little achievable good habits, and having daily reminders and 'streaks', you can train your brain into longer-lasting good habits. I haven't smoked at all in 160+ days since I set that target so it's worked.

But right now, I am in need of a very specific good habit forming app. I have been trying to use Habit Streak Plan to encourage me in a creative project. With a goal "write 1000 words everyday". But I'm having issues with the quantitative nature of that target. I find that failing is simply too demoralising and the streak has now moved so far away that I want a different approach.

So, specifically, I would like to find an app that gives me a daily reminder (so I can set it to notify me at midday) and then it would display a timer (which I can start) and after it's complete I will have achieved the target. I would like the app to have a total score of completed reminders in order to create a sense of momentum and that 'good habit brain training' feeling. So it's more like "write for one hour every day" but with some functionality which encourages me to achieve the goal as soon as I see the notification.

This is probably so specific that it doesn't exist and may be of limited use to so many people that it may never exist. But WATMM, you may know what I'm after.

And if not, then here's a thread for Productivity Apps. Which do you use? Have they worked for you?

productivity-apps.jpg?t=1392822216000

I've used habbit streak for a while in the past, but it started feeling like a trap, like I was losing my freedom.. You also have Task:Life by the same author, that could work better for creative work. didn't do it for me though. it did give me some strange insight into my own habbits and the sources that drew me away from my good habbits. but that's about it.

I use this to remind myself to water the plants, and some other chores:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ugglynoodle.regularly

and that's about it.

maybe this might suit your needs:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aloggers.atimeloggerapp

If you're looking for diet/excersize type apps, my ex really got use out of the Fitbit coupled with MyFitnessPal, which can be integrated.

Didn't the Fitbit get recalled for people starting to get rashes on their wrists from wearing it?

If you're looking for diet/excersize type apps, my ex really got use out of the Fitbit coupled with MyFitnessPal, which can be integrated.

Didn't the Fitbit get recalled for people starting to get rashes on their wrists from wearing it?

No idea. They seem to be coming out with new versions (and wristbands) frequently though.

Guest Gary C

I've heard about the Pomodoro Technique (and related apps) - is that what you're on about?

That looks very, very close to what I imagined. Thanks

I've used habbit streak for a while in the past, but it started feeling like a trap, like I was losing my freedom.. You also have Task:Life by the same author, that could work better for creative work. didn't do it for me though. it did give me some strange insight into my own habbits and the sources that drew me away from my good habbits. but that's about it.

I use this to remind myself to water the plants, and some other chores:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ugglynoodle.regularly

and that's about it.

maybe this might suit your needs:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aloggers.atimeloggerapp

That TimeLogger looks like it could work as well, I'll check it out. Although, from the screenshots I can totally understand why you might feel like you're losing your freedom with an app like this.

I don't want to micro-manage every hour of my day. I really don't like the idea of that either. But at the moment I'd like to gamify at least an hour of my day.

Archived